Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Hopelessly addicted!

Default UM mounting and storage, revisited

I know that when I was perusing the posts, I saw a lot of discussion about UM storage, and for the life of me, I can't find the posts, so I am starting a new one!
Like I said in my intro post, I have a large amount of stamps, most of which are UMs. I have tried many "systems of storing them, and I really have not found one that I really like. When I started getting UMs, I put them on EZ Mount, but found that too time consuming, having to cut the stamps twice. I tried HALOS for a while, so some of my stamps are backed with velcro. I tried putting them on red rubber cushion, then used Aleen's tack it over and over glue on them, but found that to messy. I decided that I don't want to mount my stamps anymore, and use double sided tape to adhere them to my acrylic blocks.
With that said, now storage is an issue. I currently have 10 binders full of stamps in sheet protectors on laminated cardstock. I have the indexes on a plain piece of paper, and the stamps on the back. They take up a lot of space and are very unwieldly! I also have several pencil pouches with clear fronts where I keep most of my clear stamps in, along with a few rubber stamps. I have some stamps in CD cases, and I seem to like it the best (and I noticed that many of you like them as well. My question is, do you have your whole collection in them, or do you use a variety of methods like I have mentioned? I have read that some of you have many many stamps, and I myself have at least in the 100's (thanks to Stampo's great grab bags!), but never have counted, and probably never will!
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I also have three sterilite drawers full of wood mounted stamps That I have decided to keep that way for thime being, since I already have storage and space issues with my UMs!
I am interested in hearing your opinions on this, as I am currently pulling out my hair trying to figure out what to do!
Sorry that this is such a long post, but it's a big issue for me, and I know that I can get some good advice here.
Susi
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
stampin stacy

Susi, storage is definitely an issue when you start "collecting" all the great images that are out there. I have tried the notebook method of storing my UM's but did not like it. They fell off the the sheet you store them on and either fall out of the notebook and get lost or fall to the bottom of the protector sheet and you are having to fish them out without tearing the protector sheet. Either way those note books get heavy and have to be stored on a shelf somewhere, as a result I never used them.

I moved them all to cd cases last year and am much happier with that method. Cd storage units are a dime a dozen as well, so it is easy to pick something that works for your crafting space, heck I even have some of the cases in shoe boxes and just keep them the top of my desk. (Free storage)

My problem with this is that I have recently picked up a couple of images that are too large for cd cases. Someone else had suggested purchasing DVD cases for the larger stamps and even posted a link where you could buy them without the hub in the middle. If I find the old post and link I will re-post it here, problem with this company was you had to buy in large bulk and I had already invested cd cases. If you have a lot of stamps to find storage for though you could just store them in the DVD cases, it would probably hold more smaller images as well and result in fewer cases to then to find storage for.

As far as mounting goes, I still use the EZ Mount sheets. Yes it's messy and a pain but once done seems to give the best image results and ease of use. In the mean time until I get around to putting them on the EZ sheets I just use a washable glue stick and a stamp pad.

BTW, I too have opted to not un-mount my wood handles stamps. Kinda like going back to basics and my stamping beginnings when I use them. And that is a good thing.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Inky the Muse

I store both my ums & mounteds in zip bags that go in iris cart drawers. I use the mounteds as a platform in the bags to lie the HALOS ums on and any clear or EZ mounts are on lil pieces of clear plastic that came with the stamps. Then I just carefully stack the bags in the drawers. Most of my mounted SU! sets are on 2 shelves, but everything else is in the drawers. I have sets of drawers to hold all my ums & non-SU! stamps, except for LIWP. They get their own large 3 drawer unit.

Every drawer is labeled to match a catagory in my index binders and each sub-catagory has it's own labled bag & if there are more than 2 pages of images in any one catagory then each page or 2 gets its own bag inside of a larger bag that holds that sub-catagory. No stamps are left free to float in any drawer. They all have a bag to go in and I can find any stamp I need pretty quickly once I look it up in the binders.

Yes, it took awhile to set up the binders & label all the drawers & bags, but it was worth it!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Confessions I have more mounted than unmounted and I liked the cd cases only cannot find the hub free cases anywhere locally so am bummed. I have a large zip binder and the plastic type pages from Stampo and did the glue on the red cushion...yes sticky but agree the ones in my binder do not get looked at very much...and they fall off the page...woe is me..
I enjoy pulling out the drawers and looking at searching for the perfect stamp...I have two tall standing pull drawer cases and they are full to the gills with stamps! There is no perfect solution for me either.
Spidey
Old 02-15-2008, 03:54 PM
stampin stacy

Stamp La Jolla now has some hubless CD cases for sale.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

With the seven-times-sharper than they come from the manufacturer Kai scissors we sell, you can cut the rubber and ez-mount together... we also sell the ez-thin which is even easier to cut and once you have them on the ezmount, they stick right to our plastic storage sheets which you can put in a binder or the plastic storage thingies we sell... in large and small sizes... we also sell CD holders so you can flip through and see what's in the various CD's... I just wish EZmount and these accessories had been around when I was mounting my own stamps... what a job!
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
StamPoor

I am also a CD case user for my um stamps. I buy my CD cases at a local Staples store and remove the hubs. These are the old style cases, not the thin new jewel cases. And I prefer the EZ Mount system although I still have some I did with HALOS. And I have drawers and drawers and shelves and shelves of mounted stamps which, when space runs out (almost there), I'll have to start converting to the EZ mount system.

Like so many others, I store my mounted stamps by categories. I do the same with my ums and put the CD case in the drawer with the same category of mounted stamps. That is, I take a CD case of flowers and put it with the mounted flower stamps because that way, when I want a flower image, they are ALL together. If I start getting too many stamps in one category, I breeak it down into subcategores. For example, my flowers are now divided into daisies (my faves, so I have a lot), tulips, tropical, etc.

Good luck finding a storage/organization system that works for you.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Hopelessly addicted!

Ay, ay, ay... I wish EZ mount was cheaper though. I spend so much on stamps that buying EZ mounts would really break my bank! Also, I have noticed that many of the stamps that I had mounted previously, are now slipping off, and leaving a gunky mess. I am afraid that if I put more money into re-mounting, it may be a waste of time. Sigh....so far, like said, using the double stick tape has been working ok for me, I have been using it lately to index my stamps, or just to see what they are, LOL, and the images are coming out alright.
Firecracker designs by Pamela also sells the hubless CD cases, but she charges $1 per case, which I find way too costly. It's cheaper to buy the Big Lots cases, or to get them at staples or even to use CD cases from your own collection.
I liked the idea of using DVD cases, but I have been searching the web to find a place where you can buy them without the hubs to no avail.
Another idea I have read about (on Red Castle stamps) is using video cases without the hubs. Blockhead stamps has developed a system with these called stampibrary.
Ahhh so many choices, but difficult to find the right container! I'll keep on searching though!
One more question, those of you who have switched to CD cases, do you have large collections?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Hopelessly addicted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampo View Post
With the seven-times-sharper than they come from the manufacturer Kai scissors we sell, you can cut the rubber and ez-mount together... we also sell the ez-thin which is even easier to cut and once you have them on the ezmount, they stick right to our plastic storage sheets which you can put in a binder or the plastic storage thingies we sell... in large and small sizes... we also sell CD holders so you can flip through and see what's in the various CD's... I just wish EZmount and these accessories had been around when I was mounting my own stamps... what a job!
I am going to re-check out your EZ mount Stampo, and your plastic storage thingies as well. I may invest in some ez thin to use on my saying stamps I have from VLVS, I read that it works well for them.
I can't even think about buying more stuff right now, not untill I get my tax refund, and also get back on my feet from my most recent purchase from VLVS!
susi
Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 AM

Default I use CD cases also

I switched to unmounteds and CD cases years ago. For a while I was mounting the rubber to cushion and vinyl. That got old real fast so I tried the EZ mount. I didn't like it either (too much cushion for me) so now I use Tack N Peel. I can get 2 layers of bare rubber into a cd case. The only problem I've had with Tack N Peel is keeping track of the clear vinyl I keep on it when not in use to keep everything from sticking to it. I used to keep my cd cases in cd towers but have since switched to cd cubbies.