Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Like the subtle change to the cat card above!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM
donnarie

This is such a great thread, Deb! I recently finished an art course and we did a section on composition. There are lots of different "rules" but here are a few that work great for card making:

1. The rule of thirds is a great rule to be aware of and I use it constantly when I'm taking photographs. Divide your design area into thirds horizontally and vertically. The ideal location for your main focal image is on or near one of the four intersections of your division lines. This one doesn't always apply to cards because sometimes the design elements really do look better centered, but it's a good one to know.

2. AQ already mentioned that you shouldn't have a figure positioned so that it is looking out of the composition. This same principle applies with anything that implies directionality like an arrow, a car, a boat, a pointing finger, etc. If you've got an element that leads the viewer's eye somewhere, you should try to lead them into the composition, not out of it.

3. There are a couple of arrangements that create nice flow and are very convenient to use for cards. Arrange your elements in an S, Z, C or L shape. You can use these shapes upside down or sideways...they'll still work.

4. Use an odd number when grouping elements. For example, three buttons will almost always look better than 2 or 4 buttons.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head...if I think of more, I'll be sure to share them.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks, Lyneen.

Great tips, Donnarie!

Would anyone care to talk about BALANCE?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Donnarie, do you have any samples that you can show us of the Principles you mentioned? We would love to see the S, Z, C or L shape flow. Thanks for explaining these Principles to us.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
donnarie

I'm sure I must have examples...I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. I'm off to bed soon.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 AM
stampin stacy

The "rule of thirds" does not alway have be thirds either. Basically keep the elements or points of interest on something in odd numbers; be it 3 or 5, etc. The temptation is to keep things in even numbers but when you do that it looks planned and fake.

Be sure to check out the Guest Artist Archives thread area of this forum for more great "discussion". Go to museums and take the guided tours they offer. You will be amazed at what you learn that you can then use and apply yourself.

btw, I never studied college art courses. Karen, I like your idea of watching TV art courses. I've thought about "taking" some of the free podcast art classes you find at I-Tunes but haven't done it yet.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 AM
stampin stacy

forgot to ask

does Deb now have everyone going to their craft area to check out their artwork to see if they have done any of the things mentioned here without realizing it?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 AM

I bet some of us are doing these things without knowing it. Please feel free to show us examples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
forgot to ask

does Deb now have everyone going to their craft area to check out their artwork to see if they have done any of the things mentioned here without realizing it?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Been real & been fun

Another thing to keep in mind is to not be so 'stiff' when creating a piece of art. There are times when 'knocking' something 'out of balance' can be quite pleasing and even preferred.

Kind of like if you make an err, make it look deliberate.

This kind of stuff takes a while to 'learn' but can be done thru much practice.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Do you think we could get any interested in a Art Principles ATC swap?