Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 PM

What a wonderful opportunity. Can to tell us about asymmetrical, horizon, vignette and grids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyneen View Post
No formal education here and I teach classes locally. Always looking for more to learn myself! I recently took an month long online class from Claudine Hellmuth titled Composition for Collage. oh did I learn from it. I really enjoyed learning about Asymmetrical, Horizon, Vignette and Grid collages. All that we learned could be applied to more than collages. In the all the projects FLOW was discussed!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

My earlier attachment failed but I figured out why, lol....The thing is it is good to study work you like and formula but remember even the masters depicted what they saw and in the case of Amadeo Modigliani it was believed he had a vision defect and it distorted what he saw. His work is still wonderful and considered to be classic. Create what you like and study what you love to figure out why you love it. Never, never ever be afraid to fail or create something that is wrong. Look it over and decide why it did or did not work? Those of you that have never ever taken a formal art class do not EVER sell yourself short. I cannot tell you the countless pages and pages of rejects I created to get the occasional good project.
Some will tell you beware of dead center and others will tell you that rules were ment to be broken.
Here is the self portrait I worked on today. I just jumped in and played with a pencil then water color pencil. I started out intending to draw our dog, "Bug" but it was hot, she was restless and uncomfortable so that plan went out the window. This the only subject that stood still enough for me to study!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (101).jpg (19.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

There are some very helpful online sites that discuss very informative and useful information that can apply be it fashion, home decor, photography it all applies when it comes to balance, movement, perspective.
Even the popular "Pioneer Woman" that cooks and writes books has a section on her additional passion, photography and gives great lessons. Simply think in terms of stamping a landscape or portrait and give yourself permission to play! We all need encouragment to play more with our stamps, right?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Lovett View Post
What a wonderful opportunity. Can to tell us about asymmetrical, horizon, vignette and grids?
In a nut shell! I will share my class projects... it may help a little.

Asymmetrical - If you split it down the middle both sides are not exactly the same. They are in balance, balancing is tricky as the items are usually different sizes. In our assignment we were to create an easy flow for the eye to follow.
HERE is my class project!
HERE is work in progress

Horizon - Horizon can be the actual horizon or one created by the artist either horizontal or vertical. Creating your own horizon gives you liberty to work with where you would like the viewers eye to focus. HERE is my class project!

Vignette - Elements are contained in floating group, not touching the edge. Usually the Vignette is centered on the canvas. HERE is my class project!

Grid - Items are in a regularly spaced grid format. You can vary the grid somewhat, but it should be there. HERE is my class project! And HERE is another one.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 PM

These are great, Lyneen. Thanks for sharing what you learned with us!
I have so much to learn!!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM

You are a very good artist, Spidey! Either you have beautiful eyes or you are very good at eyes.
I'll have to check out Pioneer Woman.

I also find some of the principles that I use in floral design can be transferred to paper arts too.

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 08-27-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM

Here is an example of what I hope is "flow". I'm hoping your eye moves from the sentiment, down the buttons and into the cat.

Some times after scanning a card I notice things to change, so I'm posting the "before" and "after" here. I moved the cat over a bit to the left, and wish I could changed the buttons too -- I'd like to see how the big button would look at the bottom. It might make for better balance(?), but since they are adhered with glue dots, they won't move.

Instead of scanning, some people turn their card upside down to check for balance or to see if they are pleased with the layout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faux-wood-cat-1.jpg (40.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg faux-wood-cat-2.jpg (40.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM
sweetpea

Default Wow, you girls rock

This is the best thread ever, so thank you for all of your input, you ladies.
BIG hugs, sp
Old 08-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Art Principles

This is the very nice comment from Stacy that became the impetus to start this thread. Care to elaborate on the "3 Rule", Stacy?

"great card and layout, I like that you followed the "3 rule" but changed it up a bit by not spacing out the dots evenly.
------------------------------
stampin stacy"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISCthis&that1.jpg (40.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Lovett View Post
These are great, Lyneen. Thanks for sharing what you learned with us!
I have so much to learn!!!!!

Thanks, where I live there isn't much opportunity for me to take classes in person, brick and mortar. I look online for classes.

Last edited by Lyneen; 08-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.