Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
stampin stacy

The smaller one done in the earth tones is from Stamp La Jolla and the larger one done in blues is from Lasting Impressions W/Panache.

Your card looks great and your "stippling came out great!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the stamp credits, Stacy.
You know, I don't think I have any Stamp la Jolla -- but I just checked their site, and they have a whole category of COOL 'sewing/quilting' theme images that would work with this idea
Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Been real & been fun

I like what you've accomplished Vrstmpink. Great work!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 AM
stampin stacy

Yep and I have most of them.

Well gang the lesson will have to be suspended temporarily. The computer with all my notes & pics is ill. Dang DH, sorry folks

Last edited by stampin stacy; 05-19-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:36 PM
stampin stacy

Default Lesson 4 the stitching

I'm back up and going so, on with the next "step" in our Quilted Cards:

The stitching shows up better if the holes poke up on the front side, so you will be working from the back side of you piece for this next step. To figure out where to place your “stitching” since you are working from the back you can: use math and measure or use a light box, window or other light source and make light pencil marks on the back of your “quilt” for alignment. Your rows of stitching can be placed either between the stamped rows or at the ends of each image. The latter would result in 2 rows of “stitching” close together and is a nice effect but the other works also. Place your piece on some padding such as a mouse pad or dense foam and then take a ruler and a wheel and run it down and across each row of stamping. Experiment and find what you like on scrap paper ahead of time.

You can also apply ink to the holes on the front side to make them show up better but do so carefully and with a very light touch. You do not want to get ink elsewhere. I used my finger so I could feel and control the application of ink on the “stitching”. Besides it’s a good excuse to get inky!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stitching A.jpg (39.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Stitching B.jpg (40.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 PM
wolfeyesone

Beautiful job on your card, & really like the colors you chose

TFS this tut Stacey, It's well written & great photos...
Can't wait to try it out..
I still need to invest into an embossing machine, there's alway good 'ol hand embossing but a machine would be so much quicker...

Nice job on yours also Vicki
Old 05-19-2011, 06:38 PM

ohhh wolf..i wish i knew that..there was a yard sale at my local stamp store and 1 of my friends sold one of their big shots for 25.00 dollars..plates and all..i love your new quilt ideas there stacy..you have all the good tools..nice
Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Been real & been fun

Fiskars sells something called a texturing tool to use with their texturing plates. Basically the same idea but more manual and less costly.

When I was at the Heirlooms Production event this past weekend, one of the vendors said she uses a rolling pin with her embossing folders. It's not as deep, but it gives a decent image.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Inky the Muse

Wear ear plugs if you opt for the texturing tool! It's basically 3 ball ends in a handle that you rub across the back of the paper while it's taped to the texture plate. It works with both Fiskars & Sizzix plates & is faster than the 'old' method of using a stylus with a ball on the end to dry emboss. BUT, using it sounds like you're dragging a wooden spoon back & forth across an old wash board! DH asked me to not use it while we watch TV as he couldn't hear the show.

For quiet & efficient dry embossing you have 2 basic options:

1) The Sizzix Embossing Boutique machine. It's just for dry embossing with folders, NOT any kind of dies or plates (that's what the directions say), & costs about $30, tho' you can find deals for less. It looks like a blue purse.
2) A die cutting machine. There are several brands out there, both manual & electric, that can cost anywhere from $90-$100 for manual to hundreds for the electric models. The advantage of getting a die cutting machine is that you can use dies, not just folders.

All types of both styles can be bought with either a coupon or when then go on sale/clearance to save you some $. Same with the accessories for both types of machines.

There's a thread in Stamp Talk called 'Taking the Plunge' where we've discussed the in/outs of the various machines & what we think of them.

Carry on Ms. Stacy!