Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM

thanks stamping stacy..it kinda hurt my feelings cause they thought using paper towel and wipes were just irresponable..but i am just 1 stamper at home alone..you know..i am not wasting paper or wipes..gosh , i cant afford to..maybe they really need to think about the bigger pictures like the schools and resturants, hospitals ect...personally..i try hard..i am poor, so i waste not..it just hurt my feelings..i will get over it..hee hee hee
Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 AM
stampin stacy

I don't think she meant it to come out the way it did, at least I hope not but I could see where some would take the comment wrong. There is no right or wrong way to do anything stamping related, if it works for you then it's right. Stampers as a whole are a great "green" source I think since we are always altering and finding new purpose for things and that more than makes up for using products to cleanup that do after all decompse. Just my opinion.....

Product packaging is a horrible non-green waste though. There seems to be some attempt to change that but not to be green as much as to save $$$. We'll take it though!!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Inky the Muse

I do hate that molded, impossible to open without a hack saw packaging that can't be recycled in my area!!! It seems like half of the products in big box stores are packaged that way anymore & it takes up too much room in the garbage bin cuz it doesn't fold or compact easily. I'm all for green, but there are a few lil details the green advocates don't want you to know:

1) Trees are a crop. We are in no danger of running out of them & in fact there are more trees in the US today than there were 75 years ago with more getting planted everyday. (Yes there was a 'shortage' during the height of the building boom a few years ago, but that was cuz they couldn't cut & cure the wood fast enough to keep up with demand, not cuz there wern't enough trees.)

2) It takes MORE energy & other resources like water plus chemicals to recycle paper than it does to make new paper from trees. Plus (as Stacy pointed out) paper does decompose. It would be a better use to compost it than be recycled in a plant.

3) Recycling materials like glass, metal & plastic how ever does make both $ & eco sense since it takes more resources to get the raw materials for those things out of the earth, than to recycle them. However, before you get all excited thinking we could survive on just recycling what we already have, there is usually a net loss of material in the recycling process & the demand for these materials continues to rise along with the population. So the mining of the raw materials is neccessary to meet demand, even if we all are pristine about our recycling habits, will need to continue until somebody gets a brilliant idea that will actually work.

So do what works for you & don't stress over what works for somebody else. This is America, where we still have SOME freedom to choose how we live our lives.

P.S. I use SU! Stampin' Scrub pads & Stampin' Mist cleaner for the most part, but will go to the sink w/toothbrush for some things & grab a paper towel for others. It depends on what will meet my cleaning need at the time.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM

After all, keeping our stamps clean and making them last a long time so we can REUSE them saves resources too. Sharing them with others also extends their use.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

And those re-useable bags are made in China and contain lead which gets on your food plus they're loaded with germs when re-used.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Yes, I have been leary of them. I do reuse the paper and plastic bags that come home with me. Only torn ones are tossed.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

I re-use all the plastic bags for trash too...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Been real & been fun

When it comes to using paper, here's my two cents worth:

If I were not to use paper towels, thereby 'saving' a tree or trees, I'm not really saving those trees at all. In fact, I'm killing them.

Think about it. How often does Washington State alone have forest fires to the tune of mass acreage? If those same trees were harvested and used for paper products and those paper products replaced all that nasty non-recyclable plastic crap, wouldn't we be all better off and safer too...
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Remember, that plastic crap is all made from oil, a resource that holds us hostage to Arab governments and big business.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Been real & been fun

Plastic, I believe, has its purpose but it's a very limited use. I prefer paper bags as they fold easily and are useful for all sorts of things such as draining grease from donuts. They also come in handy for wrapping gifts that are being shipped. Then, consider Halloween - talk about a haul you could get with one of those babies!