Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM

Hubby was wondering what I was reading last night and I showed him the amazing artwork in the book, and also let drop that it looked as though I was going to have to invest in the Verithin pencils! Guess that means I need to leave room in my placemat container for additional pencils! I was getting lots of affirmation for some of my own experiments with the pencils so I understand why some of us are so excited about the wonderful books out there.

I'm kicking myself for not borrowing this sooner. . .one of my Xmas cards designs would have been even better if I'd used a couple of the techniques I've now read about.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
My Prisma pencils I keep in the original tin they came in but I did reorganize them by color group. I can take the 3 trays out of the tin and fan them out before me while using them. Once I'm done I re-stack them into the tin and then place that back in the drawer until ready to use again. Having them tucked away also discourages others from being tempted to use them.

I do have a number of other brands of pencils that I have "collected" over the years including some brands I got as a teenager that are no longer around. These too are by color group and below is a pic of how I have them, cheap but very usable & handy.

empty TP rolls, not just for kids puppets/projects.....
Wow that would work better than the tissue paper I currently use and we certainly throw out several rolls...great idea and thanks for sharing Stacy!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM

I too was impressed with the clever use of the cardboard tubes for storage. Seems you also cut a few short ones to handle the stubby ones.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Inky the Muse

I have a brief case like thingie for artists with pockets for stuff & elastic loops for pencils etc. I added what I think was supposed to be a marker holder with elastic loops that folds out into a triangle to set on the table. This combo holds all of my standard Prismas (I think I have them all now.) & my Spectras arranged by color. In 2 tins that fit in one of the pockets I keep the Grays; in the other metallics & other neutrals. I keep my sharpener, eraser & stubbs in the other pocket. This set up is great for travel, but not so good for daily use.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
stampin stacy

Thank you but I can't take all the credit, it's actually an adapted Carol Duval show idea. They took the tubes and hot glued them to foam core board or something similar. That was too much time and effort that could be spent stamping and I already had the empty metal planter, so I just placed them in, sorted by color and I was ready to go. It's heavy enough that it won't tip over too.

BTW, I too would love to see your placemat pencil holder once completed .
Old 01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
StamPoor

I store my colored pencils, Marvy markers, and Copics in square plastic containers (2 1/4 sq. x 5" high) that fit snugly next to each other on an expandable 3-tiered plastic shelf (originally meant for spices) which uses minimal desk space. Each container easily holds 35 pencils, 15 markers or 12 Copics. Provo Craft makes the ones sold at Michael's.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
Thank you but I can't take all the credit, it's actually an adapted Carol Duval show idea. They took the tubes and hot glued them to foam core board or something similar. That was too much time and effort that could be spent stamping and I already had the empty metal planter, so I just placed them in, sorted by color and I was ready to go. It's heavy enough that it won't tip over too.

BTW, I too would love to see your placemat pencil holder once completed .
I can understand why they used a foam core board. That way if you 'drop' your pencil in the tube, you won't break the lead somewhere in the body of the pencil.

Still, I really love what you did with your tp tubes.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM

You could cut a piece of foam core to lay in the bottom of the tub or maybe put a double layer of recycled bubble wrap in the bottom to save the points.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM

"empty TP rolls, not just for kids puppets/projects....."
Thank heavens for Costco monster packs of TP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab View Post
You could cut a piece of foam core to lay in the bottom of the tub or maybe put a double layer of recycled bubble wrap in the bottom to save the points.
Maybe the firmer foam sheet used for shipping might be better since it has more 'bounce' than foam core.The bubble wrap has too much space between the bubbles to protect the points. ~C8>
Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 AM
stampin stacy

The one's I store this way aren't the fragile Prisma's and I never thought about padding the inside, great idea! I'll bet I could find some craft foam around here somewhere. The advantage of having or in my case having had a grade school age child, there are always left over bits of crafting stuff around.

Last edited by stampin stacy; 01-26-2010 at 12:59 PM.