Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 PM

Gamsol or baby oil actually help with the blending. Put a dark where you want a dark highlight or the outside of the image, pull it to the middle and it will lighten. You can also put light colors and then pull those to your darker colors. A 'c' or circular motion works best. I do still have trouble with small spaces.

The biggest thing to remember is that white highlights or very light highlights enhance your coloring. An image doesn't have to be completely colored depending on the color of the cardstock you stamped.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
catiekk

I was thinking I'd like to take a copic class as well. I checked in my area (San Jose, CA) and can't find anyone giving a class <sniff> <sniff>
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM

I think viewing the videos and reading the blogs are just as good as a class. . .as long as you are someone who can let go and experiment on your own.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 PM

I learned a ton of info from the copic class I took - but it was with Marianne Walker who is an uber expert!
I also learned that you have to practice alot before you feel comfortable. I stamped one image 8 times on a sheet of cardstock and just practiced that image with the same color scheme. It really helped me get the feel of copics.

For watercoloring - have you tried Art Impressions watercolor books? They're designed to work with their stamps, but the techniques used can be easily transferred to other images. I have several of the books and the dvd (the books are not expensive and easy to follow) and found them very helpful.

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 07-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Nancy I've never heard of them. I'll have to check them out.

Will I have to have copics in-order to take the class? I think that is going to be my best bet. I think I need someone to be over my shoulder so I can ask for help.

One day, I'll be able to color in. Thanks for all your help everyone.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM

There are two kinds of copics classes. Those with the Marianne types that are doing copics certification classes ($s!) and those that may be put on by certified instructors at a more local level. While my LSS has a copic certified instructor, I wanted to go beyond what they could present in a two hour class 'cause I'm a pain in the you-know-what.

Any type of coloring class will help you if you really want the hands on and immediate feedback.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyaholic View Post
Nancy I've never heard of them. I'll have to check them out.

Will I have to have copics in-order to take the class? I think that is going to be my best bet. I think I need someone to be over my shoulder so I can ask for help.

One day, I'll be able to color in. Thanks for all your help everyone.
The copics class I took with Marianne - I did not need copics - all supplies were provided, although I did stamp a bunch of images and brought them with me so that I could practice!

If you need copics, (i'm going to be bold here!!!) Flourishes sells them in small groups of their natural color blend families - so you don't have to buy a bunch and try to figure out which ones blend with what, and you can start by buying the groups in colors you like and use often

I hope to have another video for next week and I will post a link to it!

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM
catiekk

I'm excited - I found a stamp store in my area that I didn't know existed AND they have a copic class next wednesday afternoon! I'm registered and ready to learn.

Wheeee!
Catiekk
Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 PM
stampin stacy

Have fun in your class!!

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is paper. The type/brand you use can make a huge difference on outcome, some coloring techniques more than others.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:15 AM

Paper and ink are key to ensuring the image doesn't bleed and your copics perform as expected. They'll discuss this in the class. Yay for you!