Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 AM
stampin stacy

Default Organize, clean up & declutter 2012

Time to take control of our stamping spaces and our supplies.

So come on folks take the pledge to: clean up, organize, declutter. Another words, use it or get rid of it and when you use it, put it back; if you won't use it find it a new home so you can find and use those items you still love and will use.

anyone else willing to declare themselves a "stamping mess"?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 AM

I did that last year. I hate clutter. I have said this so many times over at SCS. I go crazy postal with clutter around me.

I guess I do have a couple of trouble spots. Inks- I swear trying to sort out the dilemma if I really need that ink or not is driving me bonkers. I also paint. I am a geek so I have to figure out how everything is made. I have all my black inks sorted out. It's my color inks giving me fits.

For example do I need to keep my whole set of Memento's when I use SU more? I do use Alcohol base markers. I don't know if I need the color Memento's. Do I really need Chalk Ink since it's pretty much gouache and glycerin?

Embossing Powder: Which ones do I need? I use clear the most since I use embossing ink first then load my stamp with color. Some stamp artists say this technique does not work on darker papers. I have only used white ink on darker papers. I didn't see a difference.

Adhesives- How many do we need? I had a friend come over and ask me if I had a problem? He's a comedian. I do a lot of different crafts so I do have a lot of adhesive. Since I have started paper crafting my adhesives have multiplied like Gremlins.

I would love any help with this. You are all the experts. My DH & I are planning a cross country move soon. I hope it's soon. I don't want to take things I don't need with me.

I can help straighten out clutter messes too. I used to teach it for non-profit.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 AM

i understand the topic..but i dont have enough stuff..if you unclutter..maybe i can buy some of your stuff..i cant afford to go out and buy the new things i need..but i could buy second hand things like inks and markers..they are usually good even when used..well let me know if anyone has stuff..i got some great inks last year this way...and i have almost used them all up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I did that last year. I hate clutter. I have said this so many times over at SCS. I go crazy postal with clutter around me.

I guess I do have a couple of trouble spots. Inks- I swear trying to sort out the dilemma if I really need that ink or not is driving me bonkers. I also paint. I am a geek so I have to figure out how everything is made. I have all my black inks sorted out. It's my color inks giving me fits.

For example do I need to keep my whole set of Memento's when I use SU more? I do use Alcohol base markers. I don't know if I need the color Memento's. Do I really need Chalk Ink since it's pretty much gouache and glycerin?

Embossing Powder: Which ones do I need? I use clear the most since I use embossing ink first then load my stamp with color. Some stamp artists say this technique does not work on darker papers. I have only used white ink on darker papers. I didn't see a difference.

Adhesives- How many do we need? I had a friend come over and ask me if I had a problem? He's a comedian. I do a lot of different crafts so I do have a lot of adhesive. Since I have started paper crafting my adhesives have multiplied like Gremlins.

I would love any help with this. You are all the experts. My DH & I are planning a cross country move soon. I hope it's soon. I don't want to take things I don't need with me.

I can help straighten out clutter messes too. I used to teach it for non-profit.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Been real & been fun

I lessened the amount of ink pads I have last year since I really wanted to get more into vintage colors. After buying numerous colors of Tim Holtz Distress Ink pads and then finding out that they stay wetter longer and can be used for heat embossing, I got rid of all my SU! pads and I had about a dozen or so. The other element I like about the Distress Inks is that they are stackable.

Last year I got a really cool desk with drawers and a credenza. The problem at large is my UMs. Up until just recently, I was really at a loss for how to store them. After chatting with J3 about it, I've come to the conclusion that Ziplocs are the way to go. My plan is to use the categories that SU! has set forth in their cattys but I'm separating out images with images rather than keeping them within their sets. I've a couple ideas for tagging them. The basic tag will be a 3 x 5 card folded in half lengthwise (for stability) and then stapled to one part of the top of the Ziploc so that the baggy can be easily opened/closed without too much fanfare. One idea I have is stamping some of the images from that baggy onto the 3 x 5 card as I don't like my own handwriting. I thought about labels, but want something my artsy fartsy, if you know what I mean.

I have a bunch of images that need to be cleaned and are waiting patiently on my desk for me to get to them. They are loaded in a container ready for cleaning.

Of course, putting away papers are a problem too. I'm using empty check boxes to categorize pieces of colored papers. That seems to be working rather well.

My mom gave me an old cedar jewelry box I had when I was at home. I'm using it as my 'treasure chest' for inchies, altered slide mailers and such that I have received in swaps.

The other thing I need to organize is my bling. Still wrestling with that one.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 AM

I just pulled all my Christmas stuff off the shelves of my hutch and stored them in a container; all but two TAC sets fit in the container. Amazing how much space I have now, and the bonus is that I now don't have to search through them to find what I want! My plan is to look them over in May/June and decide which ones to get rid of - the LSS does a flea market and one of the SUp folks also does a 'get rid of your stuff' to buy new items from the new catalog.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
I just pulled all my Christmas stuff off the shelves of my hutch and stored them in a container; all but two TAC sets fit in the container. Amazing how much space I have now, and the bonus is that I now don't have to search through them to find what I want! My plan is to look them over in May/June and decide which ones to get rid of - the LSS does a flea market and one of the SUp folks also does a 'get rid of your stuff' to buy new items from the new catalog.
What are TAC sets?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

The Angel Company?
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Inky the Muse

My new crapht room is well organized! Iris drawers with zip bags of um stamps by catagory. Shelves of labeled plastic shoe boxes, floss boxes of sorted bling, photo boxes with catagorized ephemera. Little drawer sets with ink refills etc.

Now to deal with the piles of stuff on the floor that need to be put away & the guest room full of boxes of stuff that haven't been sorted thru yet. I've been working on dejunking my house for a year now & only have 2 rooms sort of done!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Been real & been fun

Congrats Inky! Two rooms sort of done are better than no rooms touched at all.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 PM

I managed to get all my Prisma pencils and Copics in one of the Pampered Chef utensil holders and there is still room in the center! I'm thinking of taking my Prisma 120 tin and putting my brads, jewels, etc., in it - maybe my embossing powder or glitter if they will fit. The tin will fit in one of my drawers and those items will finally be all in one place instead of drawers and misc. boxes. Which would mean my extra inks might have a home, too!