Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I thought about trying that. I might just get another Cuttlebug since it's my favorite manual cutter. I have my sandwich recipes memorized. I know that's all very silly. I should just memorize my sandwich recipes for the Big Shot. I tend to use my Big Shot in my art studio. I use my Cuttlebug at my desk in the living room. DH uses my machines too so we need two in our home. I think my DH wants a Vagabound. My Big Shot is Pink & Black. Not very masculine, lol.
At least now when you make lunch, you don't have to figure out the sandwich.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM

Correction, I ordered a replacement set & was charged $5 which covers parts & mailing. Still cheaper than a whole new BS.
~C8>
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
DH uses my machines too so we need two in our home. I think my DH wants a Vagabound. My Big Shot is Pink & Black. Not very masculine, lol.
Check out the outlet area on www.sizzix.com. Sometimes they have machines on clearance & they may have a color combo that is a bit more masculine for DH.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Inky the Muse

We of the home die cutters can use pretty much any of the various company's dies in any of the crank machines. The exceptions being Grand Excalibur jumbo dies & Sizzix dies for the BS Pro. Those are too wide for the standard 6" machines. You do have to figure out how to sandwich other companies dies with your machine, but the big name companies (Sizzix, Spellbinder's & Provocraft) all have downloadable/printable instruction sheets that not only show how to layer their dies, but how to layer other company's dies using their pads. The main rule to keep in mind when trying a new sandwich is: If you have to force it, it's too big. If it goes in too easily it may be too thin. Adding shims will help with the too thin sandwiches, but the too thick ones may require removing either tabs on the multipurpose platform (BS users) or the bottom cutting pad & using card board shims instead. As long as you're getting the results you desire, it doesn't matter what type or brand of machine you use. It's all good, ladies!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 AM

Oh Inky you summed up. I have notes upon notes of sandwich recipes for my BS & CB. I grab my CB most often because I have all the sandwiches memorized. I get into the BS sandwiches I am like Tab 1 or Tab 2 and how many shim's? ! I love my BS for fabric and heavier materials. She is my right arm for mixed media. I have those sandwiches memorized. Except the other day when I cut felt and forget that recipe. It was a simple recipe too.

I throw in one another note too. All the die cut machines are calibrated differently. So your friends CB might take a Nesties recipe different than yours. For example she might need only one shim to emboss, while you need two. You need to keep a notebook of your sandwich recipes.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM

I love to cut paper, so I have never wanted those machines. BUT I was watching you tube on the CHI show and they were showing quilters cutting pieces for making quilts. Now that I would go for. I started a quilt and didn't like all the cutting, and I am scared of their hand cutters quilters use.
So I will have to rethink the machines.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
I love to cut paper, so I have never wanted those machines. BUT I was watching you tube on the CHI show and they were showing quilters cutting pieces for making quilts. Now that I would go for. I started a quilt and didn't like all the cutting, and I am scared of their hand cutters quilters use.
My husband talked me into getting a Cuttlebug. What sold me on it was using one of a friend's that attends Inky's SU! camps. After playing with hers, I couldn't live without one. I've only one set of Nesties, one of Shapabilities, a number of embossing folders (terrific for paper quilting) and some dies. WARNING: It is addicting!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
That's exactly why I have the manual machines. I would probably only own that little Sizzix Embossing purse if I was just doing paper crafts. I work with so many different crafting techniques the Big Shot and Cuttlebug became important tools to me. I am like you I love to hand cut.

I don't like Rotary cutters. I have steady hands but I also have Lupus too. So, if I am not feeling well I get hand jerks. I had some close calls with a Rotary cutter. It's more important to me to pay a little extra for dies than doctor bills. When my hand jerks with scissors I can quickly drop them but a rotary cutter I keep going across my fingers usually.

I also cut tin, wood, plastic canvas, leather, flannel, felt, acetate, etc... with these machines.

I am picky about dies. They are so very expensive. It's a must to me the dies are versatile. I do admit I have some dies that have no rhyme or reason like a horse and elephant, lol. My friends could say my Hello Kitty dies are not versatile either. I say to them Hello Kitty dies are the most important in a die cutting collection. !
Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Inky the Muse

Hello Kitty is important to one's creative well being! I know from personal experience.