Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Finally pulled out the pencil tin and my brads, eyelets and even little buttons (I forgot I had those - fall, Halloween, turkey day, Christmas, winter) fit in it as well as my favorite embossing powders. Score! And I did get rid of some old clumpy embossing powder, too! Don't know that I'll use up what I already have in my lifetime though.

I did find enough room to get most of my 'little' inks and reinkers in a drawer. Once I get eldest vs mom supplies sorted the rest will fit, too!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM

i never have seen one mold either..hummmm, wondering if its the weather there..or maybe something touched it at one time or another..something contaminated it somehow..i have bought lots of used ones too..most of my pads or reused pads from someone else who sold them to me..i will surely keep an eye out next time i buy used pads for something..alive
Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Inky the Muse

What happened to P&P's pad sounds more like a chemical break down than a mold or mildew issue. If there is a life form living in her pad, the bleach should take care of it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Leaf Peeper

I recently had a similar happening with one of my old Colorbox rainbow pads. It was almost as if the pad itself had mutated into a blobby mess. The others I bought at the same time (12 or so years ago) are still fine.

My craft space is pretty well organized right now. The space is also my home office, so I can't say the same about my paperwork, but thanks to a new Scrap 'n' Cube table and two more sets of drawers, all my stamp stuff has a place. When I get a chance, I'll post some pics.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 AM

I am looking all over for the SCS stamper thread a couple months ago about the red ink problem. Of course I can't find it now. I know it will turn up. I read on Wet Canvas that red inks the pigment breaks down faster unless your using cadmium red in acrylics, watercolor and oil. I think I remember my DH saying that red does actually turn to a rust in oil paints. I will have to ask him again.

I know a couple of demo's have said that SU recently changed the red ink pads so they won't turn moldy, gunky or metallic. I am wondering if they went with a cadmium red. Before they might have used a basic red.

I always used a basic red in my painting until I read the SCS thread. That's why I remember it so well. I started fretting about my work. Then my DH pointed out I was using a cadmium red.

Oh, I remember something else. It just popped in my mind. Real Red & Bravo Burgundy have a gold patina mixed in. This is also causing the ink pads to change.

I am doing all of this from memory. Apparently my asthma attack from earlier has left my search skills frazzled tonight. Hopefully somebody will see this and have a better answer.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Yup, I'm pretty sure it's chemical 'cause I knew better than to 'mix' anything other than Versamark on the pad. Interesting about the gold being added to the color. I'm gonna take Inky's suggestion to revitalize the pad as I don't believe I have any real gremlins living in there and the pad is okay.

Humidity here will get my embossing powders but so far no mold/mildew issues with inks, inkkyjo!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
Humidity here will get my embossing powders but so far no mold/mildew issues with inks.
Here in the Great Pacific North WET, I haven't had EP clumping problems, but I do keep a desiccant in the plastic shoe box with them. I use those little paper wrapped ones that you can find in some food packages & in shoes. Just keep them when you find them & toss them into the container holding your EP. You might also check with a shoe department or store & ask them to hold them for you. Most times they are really nice about doing that. HTH
~C8>
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Inky the Muse

I've seen that gold patina! When SU brought in 16 new colors last year I had one of the returning In Colors in a spot already, Riding Hood Red, and it had that pretty metallic shimmer across the pad. It had sat for a couple of years & I'm guessing that the ink had started to break down. I reinked with a new bottle & it stamps just fine.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 AM

The embossing powders I've had problems with are the 'cheap' ones gifted to me by family members. It's been refreshing to give myself permission this year to throw them out using the 'if you don't use it in a year' why is it taking up space?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM

I love this idea and considering how much clutter and mess I can create I need to declutter. Plus we should be moving sometime this year and the less I have to pack the better.