Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 AM

Inky Whiskers- Thank you for all the tips. This does help me a lot. That's what I have too are the 2010 SU colors. I bought them before they retired. I really have no interest in buying the new colors. I only own the markers, reinkers and a few stamp pads.

I bought the Studio G ink pads, ripped off the foam, gave the cubes a good washing. I was planning to adhere the Ranger Cut & Dry pads to the base.

I did make my own chalk ink pads yesterday. Those turned out really nice. I actually like my version than what is out on the market. I use gouache and embossing ink to make my own pads.

I really want to get my ink under control. Even more so when today at CHA Memento released their new color lines. I can't take it any more, lol. Too many choices. I like simple. I am not a good artist if I have too many tools out and around me. My husband on the other hand the more tools the better he creates.

Stacy- Your poor doggie. I am glad she is better. I noticed the CD case stamps also lose stickiness. I have been using my Ziploc bag method for about four-five years now. I never had a problem. Apparently we are not supposed to do this because our stamps will get smushed. I have seen no smushing.

Roberta- I tried the overhead projector sheets for my clear stamps. I was a newbie so I made categories such as animal stamps, sentiments, etc.... Stuck them all on the projector sheets Those sheets were heavy and they would bend. I was taking good care of them too. It seemed like they didn't adhere very well on the sheets or my blocks. This could all been user error and newbie mistakes. I went back to keeping them in their original package. I have them all stored in a plastic bag too. I don't have very many acrylic stamps any more. I prefer rubber.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I was doing a happy dance reading this thread. You all store your stamps in Ziploc bags! I was told that was a no no. Don't even think about it. You will destroy your stamps. I don't have the room to unmount my stamps the political correct way, ROFL! I stuck them in ziploc bags. Stamps are not destroyed yet. I love my system. I have them all in categories. When I need a stamp I just grab my bag and go.

Ranger Inks- I have a few pads. I love Tim to pieces. He's just a sweetie. I know Tim is a geek. I am a geek. I know Tim is thinking how to make these things. I have to think how he's thinking of making these things. I got obsessed over how he made the Distress Inks. I pretty much figured it out. ! I don't buy his inks any more. What is really pathetic about this. I fell in love with his new Distress markers this year at CHA. Everyone is screaming in joy about the Eclips and the stamp sets. Me, Blah! I know how to do that already. Sorry Tim. I want your markers. My DH asked me the other day what Tim released that I wanted to hack, ROFL! He's not challenging me this year.

I am thinking of making my own SU ink pads instead of buying them. Does anybody else make their own ink pads? That would help a lot with crafting clutter.
You make your own distress ink pads? How do you do that?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM

Now you folks are making me rethink my inks. . .I don't count markers as they are a necessary tool! Why do I keep a couple of Stazon pads that I don't use and are probably all dried up anyway?

The one inkpad I have that is giving me fits is SUp's Real Red. I've heard through my stamp group that this is fairly typical with red inks. . .so I'm looking for advice on whether it would be a better idea to make my own mini ink pad?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Inky the Muse

What is the pad doing that's giving you fits? The most common issue is the felt pad coming loose from the base. That's fixable with a little dollop of glue. Alene's flexible & clear drying tacky glue works well.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 PM

Two thirds of the pad is 'gunky' meaning it won't pull the ink correctly and has spots that look like I put red rubber cement on it. Our previous demo mentioned that this happened sometimes and her recommendation was to buy a new ink pad. I know I'm a little hard on my ink pads sometimes but I can usually clean them off with an old credit/gift card - I'm afraid I might have monsters growing in the pad!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Inky the Muse

I have NEVER had any stamp pad do that! I've had ink oxidize & get a metallic shimmer on the pad. But in the 10+ years I've been stamping I've never seen what you describe & I live in an area that is prone to all kinds of lovely molds. Well you can do what your demo recommends & buy a new pad or you can see if you can salvage the pad by washing the ink out then bleaching the pad to kill the potential monsters lurking within. Running the pad under cool water while gently pressing on the pad will get a lot of the ink out & you can soak it in a basin of hot water for several hours or over night to get more out. When the water runs clear you may still get some color when you press on the pad. If the goopy spot is still there, try using some liquid soap. Work it into the spot & let it sit for a while then rinse under cool water, pressing on the pad, til you don't get bubbles anymore. Now for the bleach. Any kind will work but I've found that the liquid type is more likely to turn the linen cover yellow. Not a big deal with red ink, but unattractive with lighter colors of ink. (The discoloration doesn't change the color of the ink, just how it looks in the pad.) I like to use gel bleach like dish washing detergent or a bleach pen. These types of bleach are thicker than laundry bleach but still absorb into the felt, killing gremlins & neutralizing any ink lurking in the depths. I usually leave the bleach in the pad overnight then rinse until the water coming off the pad no longer feels slippery. Let the pad completely dry out before reinking or the residual water will dilute the color. HTH
Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 AM

Roberta- I will warn you that making Distress Ink pads are a bit more complicated than making other ink pads. It's not too daunting. Tim is mainly using watercolor, Ox Gall & Glycerin for the Distress Inks. Some of the ink pads have corn syrup in them too. I suspect some of the stamp pads have a blending medium also.

Karen- I only have Black StazOn.

I know about the problem with SU's real red. That is common in painting too. Red's break down faster. That's why your ink pad is getting yucky. I read some SU customers just throw it away after a couple of years buy another one. Other's do make their own mini pad. My DH oil paints and his red paints also break down and get gunky.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Inky the Muse

Ah ha! So washing the ink out & putting new ink in should solve the problem until the ink breaks down again. I wonder what makes it do that? Like I noted, I have pads 10+ years old, including my Real Red, & I haven't seen this happen, yet. Maybe my pads get reinked more cuz I'm a demo & my pads get more used than the average home stamper?

What I have seen as far as product 'death' is a 10+ year old Stampin' Around ink cartridge in Basic Black suffer from total sponge failure. At the camp where this happend we thought it was a problem with the wheel (some designs roll better than others), but when I got it home & went to take it apart the round sponge used to hold the ink disintegrated under the finger nail I used to pull it out. It took over a week for my purple tinted nails to fade from getting covered in permanent ink.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Oh I like the idea of saving the ink pad (it's one of my full size pads and I do need it large sometimes!). I'll buy the reinker at the next stamp club and see if I can work wonders.

I've heard and seen that reds are a problem; eldest's red acrylics seem to go funky as well. If there is a touch of red in a paint can it always seems to be what doesn't want to work into the paint after it has sat for a while. . .did lots of pink and purples for my girls' rooms.

Rethinking how to store my inks 'cause I'm probably doing the color tag challenge. . .
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Roberta- I will warn you that making Distress Ink pads are a bit more complicated than making other ink pads. It's not too daunting. Tim is mainly using watercolor, Ox Gall & Glycerin for the Distress Inks. Some of the ink pads have corn syrup in them too. I suspect some of the stamp pads have a blending medium also.

Karen- I only have Black StazOn.

I know about the problem with SU's real red. That is common in painting too. Red's break down faster. That's why your ink pad is getting yucky. I read some SU customers just throw it away after a couple of years buy another one. Other's do make their own mini pad. My DH oil paints and his red paints also break down and get gunky.
DeeAnn
I don't know that I'll ever make my own. But I have found that I do like his best.