Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers View Post
I worked in a jewlery studio that sold hand made glass & paper jewelry back in the 80's, plus I had my own business making & selling hand beaded jewelry & leather accessories in the 90's. I should hope I'd know what findings are & what they're used for.
My DH would be so jealous. He loves leatherwork and glass blowing.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Inky the Muse

We didn't blow our own tubing, but we did visit the artist who did. Our job was to cut & finish the tubbing into beads then design & assemble the products. We did mostly wholesale, including trade shows, plus 1-2 retail shows a year. I learned a lot about both jewelry & business working there.

The beaded leather & jewelry was fun! Unless I took a custom commission, I could pretty much make what I wanted. My beaded pouches were rather popular & most of my custom work was from folks who wanted a particular design on a pouch. I still have supplies from those days & hope to do more some day.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers View Post
We didn't blow our own tubing, but we did visit the artist who did. Our job was to cut & finish the tubbing into beads then design & assemble the products. We did mostly wholesale, including trade shows, plus 1-2 retail shows a year. I learned a lot about both jewelry & business working there.

The beaded leather & jewelry was fun! Unless I took a custom commission, I could pretty much make what I wanted. My beaded pouches were rather popular & most of my custom work was from folks who wanted a particular design on a pouch. I still have supplies from those days & hope to do more some day.
You could always sell stuff on Etsy. Glass beads would by WAY cool!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:45 AM

I learned stamping from leatherworking. My Father did leatherwork. He had the stamping tools. He taught me as a child to stamp on leather. After that I was a goner and went into traditional stamping. Gave it all up in my twenties to study needlework, lol. Then went back to it again. That was a eye opener going back to stamping. I got right into it when the paper crafting craze and the billion tools took off. I was soooo lost. I was like "What do you do with all this stuff?" ROFL!

I love the beading industry. I was sad to see the hit it took during the recession. I am glad to see it's making a turn around. I love to bead and make my own jewelry.

I love beaded pouches. Those are kind of hard to find now. I had the most beautiful pouch made for me when I was a little girl. It was from a Native American man who was a dear friend to my Father. He raised buffaloes. I woud go visit him. I would set and pet the buffaloes as he told me stories. He made me a pouch during one of those visits. I miss him terribly. I miss my pouch. My Mom found out how much it was worth and sold it after my Father died.

Memories. !
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I learned stamping from leatherworking. My Father did leatherwork. He had the stamping tools. He taught me as a child to stamp on leather. After that I was a goner and went into traditional stamping. Gave it all up in my twenties to study needlework, lol. Then went back to it again. That was a eye opener going back to stamping. I got right into it when the paper crafting craze and the billion tools took off. I was soooo lost. I was like "What do you do with all this stuff?" ROFL!

I love the beading industry. I was sad to see the hit it took during the recession. I am glad to see it's making a turn around. I love to bead and make my own jewelry.

I love beaded pouches. Those are kind of hard to find now. I had the most beautiful pouch made for me when I was a little girl. It was from a Native American man who was a dear friend to my Father. He raised buffaloes. I woud go visit him. I would set and pet the buffaloes as he told me stories. He made me a pouch during one of those visits. I miss him terribly. I miss my pouch. My Mom found out how much it was worth and sold it after my Father died.

Memories. !
Here are some sites you might be interested in:

Tooled Paper Leather

Paper Embroidery

You could make a rendition of a Native American pouch out of paper and ink or even acrylic paints as a memorial to the dear friend of your father's. Making things like that can really help release and relieve emotional pains.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Inky the Muse

I would have to have the TIME to do this & to make the time, I'd have to cut back on my stamping. I ain't ready to do that yet. When I'm ready to not be a demo anymore, I'll go back to some of my former fav crafts, like quilting & beading. I will also explore new crafts cuz that's just the way I roll.

Having run 2 different styles of business from my home (consignment/custom & direct sales) makes me look forward to the days when I can make what I want, when I want & sell it if I want or not. I like where I am right now & I'm looking forward to what adventures the future brings.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Been real & been fun

Inky not demo'ing anymore...is there something amidst and awry in SU! land?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Inky the Muse

Not at all! That's why making & selling jewelry & other handmade items isn't something I want to get back into any time soon. I don't have the time to be a happy demo AND a crafting diva who sells online &/or at shows. For me it would have to be one or the other, I couldn't do justice to either if I did them both at the same time. Heck I can barely keep up with demoing plus the house & yardwork. Hubby would get grumpy if I did even less around here!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
Here are some sites you might be interested in:

Tooled Paper Leather

Paper Embroidery

You could make a rendition of a Native American pouch out of paper and ink or even acrylic paints as a memorial to the dear friend of your father's. Making things like that can really help release and relieve emotional pains.
I LOVE TO PAPER EMBROIDERY! I think I was a magpie in a former life because I love thread and shiny objects.

Tonight when I was at Michael's I saw this beautiful stamp that caught my eye. I didn't know what to use it for. It would be perfect for paper leather. Thank you for sharing the links. Now, I can get the stamp. I swear every time I see a stamp I get all picky and don't buy it. I don't know why I do this because I have never made a stamping purchase mistake.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I LOVE TO PAPER EMBROIDERY! I think I was a magpie in a former life because I love thread and shiny objects.

Tonight when I was at Michael's I saw this beautiful stamp that caught my eye. I didn't know what to use it for. It would be perfect for paper leather. Thank you for sharing the links. Now, I can get the stamp. I swear every time I see a stamp I get all picky and don't buy it. I don't know why I do this because I have never made a stamping purchase mistake.
Pickiness is just a part of my personality. I'll go on a recon mission knowing what it is I want. By the time I get fundage, I find I no longer want that item I went on a recon for. Pickiness & frugality.