Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Default Getting Started.

So I have some stamps, and I will be picking up some more supplies this weekend. Here are my questions for everyone.

For a beginner, what supplies do you suggest? Is there anything you just cannot do without? Looking back now, what is the one thing you wish you had known/done when you first started?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Be sure you have good black inks of all types - pigment, water-based, stazon. Then you need to find good paper; I use Neenah Solar White most of the time. Pick a coloring technique that suits you and learn that; you'll learn about color and cardstock and be able to branch out from there to all the other choices.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Bowbates

I agree with peicesandpom. Black ink and good paper are essential. I often order my paper from the Paper Cut in Wisconsin. They have great paper and good prices. I love the black linen paper. What really attracted me to stamping was being able to heat emboss images. For that you need a heat gun and embossing powder. Start with clear embossing powder. The color you stamp the image will show through. Also, you will need a good paper cutter. The Tonic guillotine cutters (and scissors) are great and not outrageously expensive. That should get you started.

Julie B.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM

Perfect! I will definitely get started on finding some of these things. I know from my experience with knitting that sometimes the best thing to do is to ask the people that have been doing it for a while. I like to climb on the backs of giants.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Embossing was the magic that got me hooked on stamping!

http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM

1. That image made me giggle.
2. I'm going to have to look into embossing more. We sell embossers at Stamp-Connection but it doesn't sound like the same thing you are talking about. Ours are a metal clip with a positive and negative image that press the paper itself into different shapes and I don't have much experience with one.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Glad you found us here at RSC, the destination spot for stamping fun & friendships.
If you are lucky Inky Whiskers or Sassy will pop in with info on heat embossing. They are quite knowledgeable & willing to share info.
alsmouse ~C8> see the rat?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawniStamps View Post
1. That image made me giggle.
2. I'm going to have to look into embossing more. We sell embossers at Stamp-Connection but it doesn't sound like the same thing you are talking about. Ours are a metal clip with a positive and negative image that press the paper itself into different shapes and I don't have much experience with one.
There are two types of embossing: heat embossing and dry embossing. The tools Stamp-Connection sells are what are referred to as dry embossing.

To save on space and fundage, I recently have gone with Tim Holtz' Distress Inks because I found out (and it is true) that those inks stay wet enough long enough that they can be heat embossed.

Also, with heat embossing, you will need the following:

a heat gun (NOT a blow dryer) - this will heat the embossing powder and more or less weld it to the cardstock

pigment ink or Tim Holtz Distress ink - these will both stay wet enough long enough for the embossing powder to stick to

embossing powder

a folded piece of cardstock to tap the excess embossing powder onto and will assist in putting the excess back into it's original container

I'm not very adept to heat embossing, although I know the basics. I stick with heat setting the ink alone and that's good enough for me.

I wouldn't be without the following:

a bone folder
a variety of 80# cardstock (most inkjet printers will argue with it)
envelopes

I highly suggest that before you buy inks, papers, stamps and tools, try to narrow down what it is you want to achieve.

My favorites are coloring with my Prismacolor pencils and hand cutting images using my CutterBee scissors. Try not to spread yourself thin otherwise it can become quite overwhelming to the point of quitting. Been there done that. Not fun.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Thank you everyone! This is all great advice and I love it.

I have some card stock but I plan on getting some 80#, I didn't have black ink pads but I am taking some home now, and I do plan on keeping it simple with just stamps and some inks for now. I did my first Valentine's Day card and I will scan it in later and show it. I actually really liked how it turned out as it is nice and simple. This is so exciting!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Been real & been fun

Simple can be SO awesome! Look forward to seeing your creation.