Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 AM
CowTown Stamps owner

Default Tim's texture hammer? Yay or nay?

Anyone have Tim Holz's texture hammer? like it or not? worth getting? thanks in advance for input
Click here to see our Card Gallery!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 AM
Been real & been fun

Anything name brand is spendy and I can usually either find or fabricate an alternative. For example, if you have a mallet for tenderizing meat either use it or look for one at a thrift store and dedicate it to your crafting. Far less expensive than the Tim Holtz Texture Hammer even with all of its attachments. If you have one of those MM hammers for setting eyelets, the ball side works similiar to his attachment with the bearings in it.

If you are looking for other ways to texture paper, try that crimping tool for making ravioli...

Last edited by TheAfricanQueen; 05-28-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 AM

i agree with AQ, we can distress our stuff at home and a lot cheaper..the products are good for the very young people who have not yet learned to do these kind of things at home..and the homecrafters who are just starting out and such. we older artist know how to get the same effects with rubbermallets, small hammers and boards that have things driven in them..you can hammer paper on onion bags and even get effects..anything works..but the holtz collections are also good for artist going to shows and classes..they would be great for that..so the cost would be worth it for them
Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 AM

I made a 'mousey' version of the TH hammer. I found a wood crab cracking mallet at a GS & have added 2 different size tacks to it. The larger head tack size on one end & the smaller head tack size on the other. It may not be as pretty as TH but it works. HTH
~C8>
Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Been real & been fun

I suppose I could do the sort of thing. A while back, instead of buying a meat mallet I went to the hardware store and bought a rubber mallet. It's the exact same thing but about 3 times less money. So if I bought another rubber mallet, I could alter it and have something similiar to what you made Alsmouse. Thanks for the idea. Perhaps we should have a swap of altered stamping tools...
Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmouse View Post
I made a 'mousey' version of the TH hammer. I found a wood crab cracking mallet at a GS & have added 2 different size tacks to it. The larger head tack size on one end & the smaller head tack size on the other. It may not be as pretty as TH but it works. HTH
~C8>
yeahh..the proofs in the pudding..thanks alsmouse..that was a great story about finding your mallet too..hope others look before they spend alot of money..we have a habitat for humanity store here called restore..and also try looking at goodwill stores and any second hand store..but they may be higher in price..so love the crab mallet story..folks they make all kind of different size ruber and metal mallets..i use to be a woodworker in a sawmill and a wood manufacturing company..theres so much stuff out there for almost free..hope you do like some of us here and go used tool shopping
Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Inky the Muse

Once upon a time...a long time ago...on Carol Duvall's old show...She had a guest who put rounded dots of hot glue on a rubber mallet. Lg bumps on one side, smaller bumps on the other. She used it for texturing metal craft sheets.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:35 PM

ohh wow inky..i love that story too..so wish you lived closer to me..dang we all would have such fun..who would have thought of that..hot glue to make your mallet have textured bumps..very cool

Last edited by inkkyjo; 05-28-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
paperaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers View Post
Once upon a time...a long time ago...on Carol Duvall's old show...She had a guest who put rounded dots of hot glue on a rubber mallet. Lg bumps on one side, smaller bumps on the other. She used it for texturing metal craft sheets.
I saw that show! I love Carol Duvall and the way she does crafts with what she has at home! When I learned her show was going off TV I recorded them on VHS...unfortunately now they are going bad....I miss her way of making mistakes and living with it!

Oh...and I have Tims hammer....(mark down table) it is way too small to work easily!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 PM
stampin stacy

First time I heard about the TH hammer, that CD show immediately came to mind. I can see the ladies face but can't remember her name.

Wonder if you could do what alsmouse did using a no longer needed wood mount. Probably not as good without a handle but cheap.