Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Keeping USPS Solvent

Default Stamp Cleaners

Hi All! I'm new here and have a question that is probably old news to most here.

What solution do you use to clean your stamps? Do you change solution based on pigment or dye ink? Rubber vs. clear silicone stamps? (I know alcohol inks are different, I don't work with those.)

I've been stamping for a couple of years, still pretty new to it all. Taking a break from scrapbooking to learn more about stamping. Seems like dye inks are harder on my stamps than pigment inks.

Thanks for any advice or links to other posts on this subject!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Inky the Muse

We've had several threads over the years about how we clean our stamps. Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showt...=stamp+cleaner

http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showt...cleaner&page=6

http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showt...cleaner&page=4

There are more threads out there. You can do a search if you want more info. HTH
Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 AM

I am kind of new too. I use baby wipes with no alcohol or lanolin in them. I mainly work with dye base ink. When using StazOn I use plain old rubbing alcohol to clean my stamps. I always give my stamp a good coat of glycerin afterwards when using alcohol so I don't damage my stamp. Harder to clean stamps I use a mixture of baby shampoo and glycerin to clean all the gunk off my stamps. It works great.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Keeping USPS Solvent

Thanks for the feedback! I knew there would be great answers here!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 AM
stampin stacy

I use Simple Green mostly but for harder to remove inks I use the regular Judikins cleaner. I have a small bottle of Stazon cleaner but almost never use it, the Judikins seems to work and is gentler on my stamps. I always rinse my stamps after cleaning them no matter what I've used on them. The real secret to getting the harder to remove permanent dye inks is to place them on a damp rag after you stamp with them and then clean them right away and not put it off til later.

If you don't get it all off, don't worry. What remains is not going to come off and ruin you next project. I've been stamping for years and haven't had a problem yet!!

that reminds me I need to add Simple Green to my Walmart shopping list....
Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 AM

the only cleaner i use for the stazon inks/ pigment is the stazon cleaner make to clean them..one small container will last me 6 to 7 months..its better for my piece of mind knowing it was made for the inks..and it treats my rubber at the same time..so i dont have to go back and coat them..like many here..for my dye inks i just use baby wipes when im traveling..and at home..water in a bottle with windex inside..just spritz and wipe..been using that for the last 11 years..and no problems.. i dont see how you can have more trouble with dye ink than pigment..dye inks are water based so all you have to do is rinse them with water and the ink will run off..maybe you have a chalk ink or something similar and your thinking its dye..chalks are a type of pigment ink
Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 AM

are you guys talking about the stains on rubber from inks..because you will alway have some stains from time to time that you just cant get off..its all apart of stamping..but if you clean them all afterward like stacy has said you will keep stains to just a few . good luck with your inks and do clean them each time..once the inks are set in you will never remove the stains
Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM

I spray a SU stamp scrubber with a mix of simple green and water for most of my stuff. Use the Stazon cleaner for when I use that ink, and usually give the stamp another quick swipe on the stamp scrubber. I'm pretty new about a lot of stuff, and frequently ask what seem to me to be questions that I'm positive everybody except me knows! Have learned SO MUCH from everyone here at RSC, and have expanded my abilities.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Inky the Muse

Versamark Watermark ink will also help to remove old ink stains & condition rubber stamps. The old ink coming off will stain the clear ink pad, so I recommend using your finger to apply the ink rather than tapping the stamp on the pad. This ink contains glycerine & that's why it works so well for this. I seriously recommend NOT using alcohol on your rubber stamps. It can dry the rubber out & make it crack. Cleaning products containing petrolium distilates should also be avoided as they to can damage rubber too.

I usually use Stampin' Mist from Stampin' Up! for general stamp cleaning of all kinds & StazOn cleaner for more stubborn to remove inks like StazOn & some pigment inks. I also keep a kids toothbrush handy for getting ink out of nooks & crannies. Stains are a part of stamping, but beware ink build up in tight places, it can occlude the image.

There's always something new to learn here at RSC, so keep reading ladies!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Been real & been fun

I use just a drop of Dawn dish liquid into a spray bottle filled with water. But don't let the stuff sit too long or it will mold.