Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
Pieces - do you remember why we had to roll the ink out on the glass before applying it to our carved stamp? Was it because of viscosity?
I did that too and in fact still have my linoleum brayer and use it. The ink had to to be even and thin for overall coverage. If it was too thick the image may be lost. The glass surface was smooth and the ink was spread thin to allow you to get the brayer or surface smooth with ink then you transfered it to the block by brayer or pressing it on the glass surface. The glass was level and smooth and gave you the coverage you needed without texture? Clean up was easier too.
The medium was more like a thick sticky paint if I recall. Do you remember? I only used black.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Been real & been fun

Thank you Spidey! I do remember using blue medium.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 AM

Back in the late '70s, when decorating envelopes was basically a counter-culture activity. And All Night Media and Hero Arts were mail order only. And RSM was a newspaper. My first not-black and not-red and not-blue stamp pads were scented ones from ANM; the brown was chocolate-scented!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberTrucker View Post
Back in the late '70s, when decorating envelopes was basically a counter-culture activity. And All Night Media and Hero Arts were mail order only. And RSM was a newspaper. My first not-black and not-red and not-blue stamp pads were scented ones from ANM; the brown was chocolate-scented!
RubberTrucker, you remind me of the lady who taught me stamping. She said ink was only available in red and purple where she lived. Isn't that something!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Cookie Muncher

As a kid, I loved playing with the date and word rubber stamps, like "Paid" and "First Class," in my grandparents' real estate office. When I started doing speech therapy in the public schools in 1970, I purchased a small teacher's set of simple reward stamps. Soon after a friend showed me his collection Bizzaro Stamps. Those wonderfully detailed images stuck in my mind, so I wrote away for a catalogue and took advantage of their 30 stamps for $30 offer they had back then. Then, a subscription to National Stampagraphic led to more catalogues from such excellent companies as Loving Little Rubber Stamps, Big Black Cadillac, Emerald City Stamps, and Rubber Stamps of America. I was completely and thoroughly hooked, and never looked back.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
As a kid, I loved playing with the date and word rubber stamps, like "Paid" and "First Class," in my grandparents' real estate office. When I started doing speech therapy in the public schools in 1970, I purchased a small teacher's set of simple reward stamps. Soon after a friend showed me his collection Bizzaro Stamps. Those wonderfully detailed images stuck in my mind, so I wrote away for a catalogue and took advantage of their 30 stamps for $30 offer they had back then. Then, a subscription to National Stampagraphic led to more catalogues from such excellent companies as Loving Little Rubber Stamps, Big Black Cadillac, Emerald City Stamps, and Rubber Stamps of America. I was completely and thoroughly hooked, and never looked back.
Are any of those magazines still in existence? I love the title 'National Stampagraphic'! That is so cool!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM

RSA is still in business. Emerald City might have had its dies bought by another stamp company. Loving Little and Big Black Cadillac are, I think, long gone, like so many others, such as Inklings and Remarkable and Neato.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Stamp Hoarder

I got into by accident. LOL

It was around Christmas and I was at Barnes and Noble buying books for gifts. I was standing in line to pay...had a big stack of books and was looking at the bargin tables next to the check out line. They had wooden boxes of Celtic stamps (18 I think) for $5. I didn't know what the heck I'd do with them, but was sure I needed them! ROFL

The following month I was at JoAnn's and happened to see they had a bunch of stamps. I decided i need even more. Then I found a rubber stamp mag and saw that they'd just had a rubber stamp expo in my town a few days before and figured I needed to get on the rubber stamp bandwagon!!!

That was almost 5 years ago and now I have over 3,000 stamps!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
StamPoor

isn't it amazing how quickly we can acquire so many "necessary" stamps?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Been real & been fun

Wow! When I started stamping in the mid '90s I got pretty sick and tired of always going to the stamp store when I wanted to make a card. I felt like I would never have enough supplies to make anything. Now? My mom has sent me stamp supplies she 'won' at an auction but only wanted the scrapbooking items. My one sister sent me most of her stamping stuff, as she put it, it's not her calling. My youngest sister sent me back the box of stamping stuff I had sent her when I thought I wanted totally 'out'. I told her I was sending her my headache. Her warning was, you may get it back. Oh, I did and then some! But now, it's not a headache and I'm not sick and tired of going to the stamp store. Moreso, is there a local stamp store that I can go to and find what I'm looking for?!!! Can anyone else relate?