Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:39 PM
donnarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
I wonder how the quality of those 500 Pencils compares to the other better known brands. If anyone tries them, let us know.
From what I hear, the quality isn't all that wonderful...more of a student grade pencil. Someone even compared them to Crayolas.

As for breakage with Prismacolors, I can honestly say that I haven't had much of an issue. I use the pencils for fairly large art pieces so I'm sharpening them all the time. I heard somewhere that a sharpener that grinds the wood (makes sawdust) rather than one that shaves the wood works better. Honestly, I think the real trick is patience and a light touch. Don't try to push the pencil into the sharpener...apply only as much pressure as needed for the pencil to make contact with the blades.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
StamPoor

Donna, thanks so much for passing on the comment about the 500 pencils. I love my Prismacolors and really don't think much of the Crayolas. I also sharpen my pencils often and without problems using patience and a light touch, so you are probably right about that being the real trick. Unless, of course, the box was dropped at some point and the leads broken. That would be a real bummer.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Been real & been fun

A friend of mine purchased some Crayola colored pencils for me for my birthday one year. I found that the 'lead' scratched the paper so I contacted Crayola. They said that it is due to the 'lead' not being pure. Needless to say, I got rid of them and went wholeheartedly with Prismacolors. The other thing about Crayola colored pencils is that the color on the pencil is not true to the color of the 'lead'.

As far as breakage on Prismacolors, also make sure that when you buy they that the sales clerk doesn't drop them into the bag. Purchasing them singly has really given me peace of mind.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I have several muts but love the prisma colors the best. I even have some color pencils that were my brothers and he is 10 years older than I and they were from a company I do not recognize. I agree the crayola does not compare to prismacolor as the lead is less soft but they have their place in my collection and I have layered with them and if I use the colorless blender it forgives the scratchiness a bit. Be aware that prismacolor carries more than one type of cp and some are designed to have a harder lead pencil and it you are wanting to draw in narrow fine lines you cannot beat the harder lead or for outlining shapes. As with any tool it depends upon its use and they all have their place in my studio. Paper used can make a huge difference as well.
Enjoy and play is the most important thing esp when starting out. There are also Koh-i-noor a woodless color pencil. They have intense lovely color but I found not as easy to work in small areas stamp-wise. There are some that feel that the ultra soft pencils bloom too much and they do not like that...bloom is the waxy haze that can form over the top of a heavily colored surface...one way to help this is to take a soft tissue and buff the surface when you are done and seal it with a spray sealer when you are finished?
Love the process and dance with alot of the pencils you come across and decide for yourself. You just might love them all!
Spideycindy
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Spidey, thanks for the info on the thin Prisma color pencils. Sounds like I'm going to have to get me some of those!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
donnarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideycindy View Post
Love the process and dance with alot of the pencils you come across and decide for yourself. You just might love them all!
Spideycindy
So true! I do alot of colored pencil work, and I can definitely say that there many different kinds of pencils and they are all good for one thing or another. I love my Prismacolor Premiers and find that they work especially well on papers that have a fair amount of tooth (rough surface), and these are the pencils that I use most often with my rubber stamped projects. I also have a set of Caran d'Ache Pablos, which I absolutely love on a smooth paper. I'm doing a portrait with them right now and they are a dream to work with when you need delicate, soft shading. Also in my collection are Faber-Castell Polychromos, F-C Pastel pencils, Derwent watercolor pencils, Derwent Inktense pencils, and Prismacolor Verithins. I can honestly say that I use them all.

And, about those Crayolas...for the price, they are a darned nice colored pencil, but they really are made for kids. Most of the colored pencil manufacturers also produce a student grade product, which is less expensive than artist grade but a step up from something like Crayola or RoseArt, and certainly an option if you don't want to invest in the more expensive artist grade pencils.

Also, I have personally experienced the wax bloom issue with Prismacolors, and it's definitely not a show stopper. It can happen when you've built up a thick layer of pigment on the paper. As Spideycindy said, the haze can be easily buffed off with a soft tissue, and then a quick spray with fixative will prevent it from reappearing. If you spray your work with fixative as soon as you finish, it will prevent the wax from blooming in the first place. Wax bloom is only an issue with a wax based pencil, like the Prismacolors.

Oh, and Arlene Steinberg's Masterful Color book is amazing! I have it and refer to it all the time for color mixing advice.

Can you tell I love colored pencils, lol!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Been real & been fun

Another thing I've learned about stamping and colored pencils is that if I stamp with a stamp that has a solid type of background and it doesn't stamp smoothly, I just find the Prismacolor pencil that is the correct shade and color over the image. It really 'brightens' the image and makes it look so flawless!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Fink

I love Prismacolor Pencils! I just went out and got the 132 pack w free 12 pack of markers for a Christmas present!!! I had gift cards so I saved big! I just bought the Prisma sharpener just to see how it works. I have problems sharpening when I push to hard! I find with small areas I drag the color in those areas with Gamsol.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
akonpittbull

I think every one give the best solution for the pencil but I like the last one , it is about the super glue and that is really amazing. Actually who don't know about the pencils and how to use it, they can use this tutorial for the drawing.