Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Copic Airbrushing and Air Compressors

If you've been using copics you may be thinking about getting the copic airbrush system and whether to use cans of air or to purchase a small air compressor. If you are not sure if you will use it alot, the cans of air are more economical in the short term. If you decide it is something that you will be doing on a regular basis a small air compressor is the way to go.
If you are a little wary about using an air compressor, take a look at the video I did in this post HERE. In it I show the basics of using the air compressor.

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
RSMaker

Thanks for sharing your video, Nancy. I've never seen the air compressor in action before, so this was very informative.

Quick question: Considering the price of the Copics, is this method really cost-effective for the results achieved?? Looks like there could potentially be a lot of overspray that goes to waste.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Fliss

Great video Nancy, to actually see it in action along with your attention to detail makes it the best I have seen. Thank you for sharing and saving me pennies!
I was thinking of investing but will now stick to just colouring my stamped images with my copics as I think the ink will last a lot longer with no waste of an over spray!Lol
If I had kept my hand in with graphic design I would definately have invested.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcveigh View Post
Thanks for sharing your video, Nancy. I've never seen the air compressor in action before, so this was very informative.

Quick question: Considering the price of the Copics, is this method really cost-effective for the results achieved?? Looks like there could potentially be a lot of overspray that goes to waste.
For small cards, it may be a bit overkill, although if you were to purchase copic reinkers for colors (like blue) that you would use often, it may be ok. I've not tried airbrushing with regular air brush paint, but that may be a better way to go, assuming the airbrush paint is less than $5.25 which is what on average the copic markers go for.
Thanks for the input and I will look into a "regular" air brush gun and paint!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Very nice video tutorial. I would not imagine that you use that much ink unless you are heavy handed and the results are lovely. I imagine it would all be a matter of practice, masking and the soft gentle touch. I have done the blow pens before and believe me the air compressor would save for dizziness the blow pens caused! I guess I did not have enough psi...
I have always wanted to try air brushing but never have played with it. The copics seem to trade in and out of the gun easily. I am sure you are going to love your investment given time to practice and play! Yay Nancy! I look forward to further updates as you work more with them. The only bummer is the noise of the compressor especially if you enjoy listening to music while you work!

Thanks for sharing Nancy!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideycindy View Post
Very nice video tutorial. I would not imagine that you use that much ink unless you are heavy handed and the results are lovely. I imagine it would all be a matter of practice, masking and the soft gentle touch. I have done the blow pens before and believe me the air compressor would save for dizziness the blow pens caused! I guess I did not have enough psi...
I have always wanted to try air brushing but never have played with it. The copics seem to trade in and out of the gun easily. I am sure you are going to love your investment given time to practice and play! Yay Nancy! I look forward to further updates as you work more with them. The only bummer is the noise of the compressor especially if you enjoy listening to music while you work!

Thanks for sharing Nancy!
LOL! Oh Cindy - I can't imagine using a blow pen for something like this!! I would have definately run out of air!!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
stampendoxie

The amount of ink used when air brushing is less than with regular coloring with the copic marker. I have used some of my "over spray" papers for backgrounds. The compressor can be sat on the floor, mine is on a rug - just watch that it has enough air movement to not over heat - it will not make so much noise this way.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampendoxie View Post
The amount of ink used when air brushing is less than with regular coloring with the copic marker. I have used some of my "over spray" papers for backgrounds. The compressor can be sat on the floor, mine is on a rug - just watch that it has enough air movement to not over heat - it will not make so much noise this way.
I was at a demo that Teresa gave with the compresser and it was fairly quiet compared to some compressers. Maybe we can ask her to post a tutorial on overspray. ~C8>
Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Stamp Geek

I love my airbrush system. I have a small compressor we purchased from Tower Hobbies. I also use the Ciao markers.

I've attached two cards I did using my airbrush system. I also love it for spraying white prima flowers to match my colored images... so many options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COPIC BUZZ - NATURE.jpg (35.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg MrMoon.jpg (37.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 AM

Great cards Jana!