Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
One Eye Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeediva View Post
Audreyrose...I saw that you said you color with gel glitter pens and heat emboss over them. That's a cool idea. I usually mix the glitter directly in with my embossing powder and I love the look of that, but then I'm limited to the shapes that I stamped. I'll have to try your gel glitter pen idea so I can do some freeform shapes. Thanks!
Not to hyjack, but Stacy, I used your idea of glitter mixed w/ clear embossing powder (also have a life time supply from Stampo), and it turned out really amazing. I put Diamond glaze over it to seal it and wow!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Stamp Hoarder

I'm teaching myself shading. I don't know what I'm doing either.

But I use Prismacolor Pencils with Gamsol.

Part of what I'm having to train myself to do is picture things differently. I used to look at a picture or a person or object for that matter and just see it as a whole. Now I'm trying to train myself to look at shading.

Picture a light source!!

Someone told me that and it's like a lightbulb went on. Everything in the light will of course be lighter...and everything else darker in degrees.

Now it's still tricky actually doing it. But what I do it stamp out an image I want to practice on, maybe 10 of that image. Then I start playing with them. Coloring and blending, adding more color, taking away color with the Gamsol if I mess up. When I'm done I look at all 10 of the images and see what I like/don't like about each one.

They might all look "ok", but more often than not I'll spot something on one of them that makes it pop a little more.

The first thing I practiced on was a stamp of a woman. I colored her peach and then played around with different colors for shading. I think I ended up with a maroon color that made her legs and arms look like she'd been having some fun in the sun! I was so excited that it drove me to practice more. But I am still learning to shade well.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Theresa, I'm trying too. Wish I was born with that eye. Oh well guess I'll just have to develop it. I do put a stamp or box where I think the light is shining and try to shade where the stamps seems to have built in marks. Its just going to take time and tons of patience.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Yeah, it's frustrating trying to develop something like this. And others seem to just be born with it and make the most amazing things.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
HolleyTX

It does take practice. I would say pull out three of every color you want to use. Practice shading from light to dark. I color the entire image in the lightest shade. Then gently add te next color, then add the darkest color.

I like to use watercolors with watercolor pencils, crayons and then use a blender pen.

http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks Holley, I'm still hanging in with practice.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 AM

Xray Amy made a suggestion quite a while ago about scenic stamping - make many stamped images so that if, when you 'goof,' you still have one that will be good. I find this true in my coloring, too; I often stamp three to four images hoping that one or two will be good enuff.

What will usually happen is that one of the four won't show enough highlights, one will show too many highlighted areas. This may only be fractions of an inch but it seems to matter to my eye. Sometimes when I add glitter pens or white gel pen for extra piazzaz those fractions of an inch become HUGE imperfections.

Some instruction I got from a coloring teacher recently was to ensure that there were darks on both sides of an image, such as a basket or milk can, etc., to enable the viewer to see dimension, rounding of the image. It was amazing to me to see how those fractions of an inch in the deeper colors really made the image seem much more complete. But it is an enabler for what happens in my second paragraph!

Last edited by piecesandpom; 08-15-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
Xray Amy made a suggestion quite a while ago about scenic stamping - make many stamped images so that if, when you 'goof,' you still have one that will be good. I find this true in my coloring, too; I often stamp three to four images hoping that one or two will be good enuff.
This is exactly the point I made a couple of posts back! I figure if I stamp 10 or so and keep practicing coloring...one of them is bound to be better than the others. And I can try shading each a little differnt and see which one looks better.

This is really helping me learn.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Happylittlestamper

Hi there, I find I get different results depending on the card or paper I use. Have you tried using a specific watercolor paper? I too prefer to emboss when watercoloring, it keeps your stamped image more defined. I don't emboss when using prismacolor pencils as the pencils chip away the embossing.
If using prisma pencils and gamsol I find working in smaller circles helps blending. I get a much better result.