Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmouse View Post
QUOTE=Etha;4756]this is funny, I guess I have to take this tip backwards then as I have the problem that my acrylics get TOO sticky, sticky to the point that when I stamp on glossy paper for instance and take off the stamp it takes part of the paper with it I suspect it might be the altitude I live in and that we have very dry air here. If I clean them with anything with water, even just plain water it makes them eve stickier! They will stick to my hands and are hard to take off!! quite ridiculous I know.
Would the stickyness be affected by Etha living in a High Desert area? or if there is hard or soft water? maybe distilled water would make a difference. [/QUOTE]

no, the altitude shouldn't affect stamps. I am in utah and that's considered high desert.. I make them.. There could be a couple reasons for sticky stamps.. for instance, the different kinds of polymer.. Manufacturers use different polymers to make stamps.. there are some that are more sticky and some that are less. The more sticky ones should lose that "extra" stick after being inked and stamped off a handful of times. Usually these stamps will not lose their stick on the back as fast as the others that are not as sticky.

All new acrylic stamps need to be "seasoned" this means you need to take them and ink and stamp them off onto scrap paper about 4-5 times. and clean with polymer cleaner (it's just like stamp cleaner only it has an additive to contition your acrylic stamps).. Seasoning does two things.. It can take that extra sticky off and it helps the polymer accept ink so you don't get that "balled" up look on your stamped image. If your in the market for inks, I highly recommend CTMH (Close To My Heart) ink pads they are formulated for acrylic stamps. I use only CTMH inks for my dye ink pads.

HTH
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Have you tried baby powder?
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/