Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Audreyrose

Wink Collage Art

I know this may sound a little or more dumb to many of you artist out there,but I would like to start doing some collage work and have no idea how to begin. (I told you it may sound stupid or dumb) To do collage art is really stepping out of my box, so I NEED some guidance here. I know most of you if not all but me, do this type of work. I have been looking on the internet but I knew my friends here could help me the most. Please help me get out of my box ideas and try this art.
Thanks,
Audrey
Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM
stampin stacy

Only questions never asked are dumb ones, you won't find the answers otherwise.

I haven't done that much of it myself either but I think the first thing is to figure out what you are trying to say and how that can be accomplished.
How about trying something simple like depicting your new home in Mexico and see where that leads for example. Color, patterns, certain stamp styles can all be used to convey a message or emotion.

I'll bet we have some members here who can give you more guidance than me but I just want to say, go for it and have fun doing so.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Audreyrose

Thanks for the encouragement Stacy. You are always there for me to encourage and lift up, just like many others on this board. I guess trying a new frontier is a little intimidating and that is what I feel at the moment. Don't want to fail. I guess you can't fail if you don't try and art is always a challenge, but one I enjoy! This is my new challenge!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Fliss

Way to go Audreyrose I love collage. Start out by using in-expensive paper and/or cardstock. Then as Stacy suggests...think up a theme. Gather some epherma/embellishments to add to it. You can prepare your own backgrounds, roll them into a ball then smooth out and glue to cardstock. Add torn layers of paper/fabric. Stamp an image, cut it out, add a hat, add fabric to another part of the image, in fact you can cut the image anwhere you want and re-invent it as you see fit. Basically anything goes.
There are a few in my gallery from page 4 to 7.
They are great fun to do as you can really get down and dirty (like a naughty child playing with paint)!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Audreyrose I'm so glad that you asked the collage question. The responses were helpful to me, too. I love collage. But, for me, it just isn't as easy as it seems that it would be. I keep working at it. I do OK with simple collage on cards, it's the art collage that gives me so much trouble. Maybe I'm way to inside of my box.

Jeanette
http://jeanette-h20creations.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 PM

Default I'm a collage newbie, too

The key to collage for me was giving myself permission to play. Permission to not worry about how to do it or what I was doing, just letting myself stick stuff down on some substrate (card stock, water color paper, canvas, etc.). Sometimes they turn out amazing and I can't believe I did them, and sometimes I hate what I end up with! Acrylic gel medium is the biggest "secret" I've discovered. It seems like you can stick anything to anything with gel medium (okay, maybe not anything, but pretty close). It can act as an adhesive or as a top coat. The other thing I discovered recently was the use of acrylic glaze medium. The glaze medium makes the paints more transparent so you can layer--it seems the more layers, the better the collage. The layers can be of paint, of glimmer mist, of rubber stamp images, of ephemera, and so on. I find if I think about the collage too much, what I end up producing is not very interesting. If I can just relax into the process and play, interesting stuff seems to happen. I've also learned that patience is part of the process, for lots of reasons, including dry time. But sometimes it seems my mind just needs time to meander! I think ATCs are a wonderful way to begin collage--their size makes them less intimidating to me and if I don't like what I did I can tuck it away and not feel like I wasted valuable materials. Hope you have fun. Debra
Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Been real & been fun

Audrey, smudge introduced me to this book called Creative Collage Technique by Nita Leland and Viginia Lee Williams. I gave three lessons to my group of challenged collage swappers. If you'd like the lessons, let me know. Otherwise, the book may available at your library. It goes from beginning to advanced and is really a neat book. I highly recommend it.