Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Beeswax Collage

Hello MaryJo,

I have everything I need to create a beeswax collage on canvas but am somehwat intimidated by the thought of using hot wax. Do you have any suggestions or advice for a newbie beeswaxer?

Thanks MaryJo!
Robin
Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Default beeswax

It is so easy if you have the right pan. One of those small electric skillets is perfect.The little crockpots don't get hot enough! Get the beeswax to the liquid stage then you can use a small natural hair brush like a color duster to apply the hot wax to your paper surface. Layer paper to this hot wax base then apply more wax over the top. Or...if you have some long tweezers dip your small collage pieces directly into the wax and layer onto your paper.
My Vintage Greeting card book has full instructions on a couple of projects and my exploring Art Materials DVD covers a mixed media style for beeswax collage.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:40 PM
DemoDiva

How about using a craft iron and drip the wax onto cardstock or canvas...what do you think about that?
Old 10-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Default that works too

It works ,its just slower and more tedious and sometimes it does not stick as well since the wax has more time in dripping to cool down.
MJ
Old 10-05-2008, 12:47 PM
DemoDiva

Default Thanks.

Thanks Mary Jo....I've done the iron/dripping routine on ATC's using both Beeswax and Crayola crayons, but I do see how using it on bigger items would be tedious. I do have a small electric skillet which will work great for the beeswax, but am not sure how to handle the crayons when I want colored wax. I guess that's when the irons come in handy?

Thanks for sharing your time and talent, I too have been stamping for 20 years now but haven't progressed to doing much more than cards. For the last 3 years I have lived and traveled in a motorhome so my stash of supplies is much more limited from when I had my own studio...however I love this lifestyle.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Judi Foster

I would like your opinion on using beeswax on top of acrylic paints. I have heard yes and no. The nos say the wax will pop off or slide off. Enquiring mind wants to know. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Default well.....

I have used acrylic and beeswax for over ten years now without issue. I have several other artist friends who mix these medias as well. Many artists prefer pastels or oil paints mix with beeswax.
I have not had a problem on canvas, wood or paper.
I have also layered it over and under gesso, molding paste and a variety of acrylic mediums successfully. storage and temperature may influence how well the wax stays put. I have lost a canvas that I left in my garage over the winter were it froze repeatedly.
Otherwise I say go have some fun!

MJ
Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 AM

This is something I've never tried! I'm inspired, now, to get out the DVD and the book again and give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Debbie...get to work!
MJ