Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:27 PM
BongoClown

Default Purpose of foam backing?

Hello! I'm new to the world of stamping, and I'm currently making stamps on my laser cutter, being very impressed with the results as I've now finally been able to get hold of proper laserable stamp rubber.

However, I've read a lot about stamps, and I've seen that just about everyone uses foam (most often EZfoam or similar) between the rubber and acrylic or wood block. I was wondering, aside from the obvious benefit of being able to peel off the stamp from the block easily, when using EZfoam, why do you need to have a foam between the rubber and the block?

I've made quite a few stamps now and just glued them to the blocks, and they work great, but I feel that I'm missing something for not using foam.

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Been real & been fun

Welcome BongoClown!

Most of my stamps are on cling foam because I want the extra storage that they provide.

Foam mounting is important as it provides kind of a spring between the block, the image and the paper. Hope that makes sense!

Roberta
aka TheAfricanQueen
Old 11-29-2014, 12:33 PM

Hi BongoClown! From what I've read about stamping, the layer of some sort of foam-like stuff is important to provide a kind of spring is needed to get a superior image. It's not necessary to have it on the actual stamp. When I use a stamp that doesn't have any foam (like an un-mounted one, just taped onto a block) I put a thick magazine under the card. That provides enough spring. BTW, that laser cutter sounds fun!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:10 PM
BongoClown

Ah, I see, so in a sense it is to get a lighter touch, but still even and widespread. The rubber itself has some springiness, but I guess it's still too rigid. I guess I'm going to have to try to put some foam on a stamp and see about the difference.

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Craft Curmududgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoClown View Post
Ah, I see, so in a sense it is to get a lighter touch, but still even and widespread. The rubber itself has some springiness, but I guess it's still too rigid. I guess I'm going to have to try to put some foam on a stamp and see about the difference.

Thanks a lot!
Always glad to meet a new stamper, BongoClown (love your name).

Like Caesar's Gaul, (rubber)stamps were divided into 3 parts--die; cushion, mount--back when I first began to stamp that's how all commercial stamps were produced.

The die is the part that transfers the image.

The cushion helped to lessen the problem of 'over-pressing'.

Developing a stamping 'touch' has everything to do with the stamper--not whether it has a cushion or mount.

Most of my stash of stamps are just the dies (BeesWax & IBFS offer rubber-only).

With 'cushions' you can put them behind the die or under the material you are stamping. I do it both ways. Most times I mount my rubber-only stamps temporarily & back my stamped-on material with magazines & other 'springy' materials.

HTH & doesn't confuse!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoClown View Post

Thanks a lot!
If you have a mouse pad, that might give you an idea as it is about the same amount of thickness as the padding on a wood mounted stamp. Just place it underneath whatever you're stamping your image onto.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 AM
UpsideDown

Another thing foam does is allow better stamping, especially if the rubber is not 100% level. With larger, less than top quality, stamps it's not unusual to have the rubber a little "shorter" then the rest and result in holdouts. A good block plus foam allow greater pressure and a bit of rocking without over-stamping.