Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Been real & been fun

Default Craft Knife Craziness - send help!

This morning, as I was preparing to cut the magnetic vent covers my husband had purchased for me from Lowes (more of that will be covered on my new thread 'how I manage my metal dies'), my Exact-o craft knife's blade came off in it's sheath! What a little booger!

I was success in digging them out, but still. For real?

If you use a craft knife, what type do you have and would you buy the same one again?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:21 AM

I run with Xacto Knife. I buy my blades by the 100 pack. They are my main cutter/trimmer in conjunction with my Tim Holtz ruler.
My knives are just laying about on my craft stations, none of those silly covers (that never work) for me. I tighten the blades periodically because I don't like wonky cuts. I also have a blade sharpener to extend the life of the blade.
Have you tried the Fiskars Retractable Finger Knife? My friend Debby Lewis has a demo just for you ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Bb6XyTaSI
Old 11-25-2014, 07:26 PM
UpsideDown

I've had non-Xacto knives and blades break, snap, splinter, and @#$%&*! I had one snap and literally sail across my studio. Xacto for me. Do watch out for the counterfeit -- go with Dick Blick or similar. Do NOT use snap-off blades! They are cheap, dull, and super dangerous.

I also swear by a box or utility knife. These have heavier blades and good strong handles. I picked up a wonderful heavy one from Ace Hardware. I use this for cardboard, mat board, and even divesting lots of pages out of an altered book.

There is a learning curve with both of these tools. Grit, push, grunt, andů broken blade or worse. FIRST have a fresh, sharp blade. As silly as this sounds people forget this all the time. If you can't remember the last time you replaced a blade do it now. If I'm going to start something tricky or with lots of layers, I always get a new blade. SECOND plan what you're going to do. Things slip and slide when you bare down especially with layers. You might need to create a jig, or use big binder clips or c-clamps. My family bought me a counter vice one year so I can hold things still for cutting, binding, drilling, and even painting. THIRD less is more. Slow, steady, moderate pressure, gets better results every time. It's better to keep checking them grunt and strain, and get an awful cut. FOURTH if you have a whole lot of straight cuts of paper or card stock you might want to consider going to your local printer (not Kinkos). They have huge, high-end cutters that do perfect cuts. I used to work in print shops and this is so easy and inexpensive that I never cut any for big projects.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I run with Xacto Knife. I buy my blades by the 100 pack. They are my main cutter/trimmer in conjunction with my Tim Holtz ruler.
My knives are just laying about on my craft stations, none of those silly covers (that never work) for me. I tighten the blades periodically because I don't like wonky cuts. I also have a blade sharpener to extend the life of the blade.
Have you tried the Fiskars Retractable Finger Knife? My friend Debby Lewis has a demo just for you ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Bb6XyTaSI
Please tell me that you don't actually run around the house like Freddy Krueger with Xacto knife in hand!

I'll have to check out that Fiskars finger knife you suggested. Thank you, Don!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:34 AM

Please tell me that you don't actually run around the house like Freddy Krueger with Xacto knife in hand!
No worries about that, I quit running years ago.
I do wonder though, about Fiskars promoting a product like a finger knife to a target market that typically talks with their hands. Perhaps there should be warning labels.