Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Default Paper Crafts Magazine closing

Paper Crafts Magazine Closing
11/14/2014 5 Comments

Paper Crafts Magazine To Close
By Nancy Nally on November 14, 2014

In yet another blow to the publishing segment of the scrapbook industry, contributors of Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking magazine have been informed of the magazine’s pending closure.

The announcement came in an email to contributors from F+W president Sara Domville. According to the email, Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking will cease publication after the February issue, and there will be no more print special issues from the brand. The planned Card Creations volume 13 special issue is being cancelled. All content in the company’s possession is being returned to contributors.

A representative for F+W told Scrapbook Update that the Creating Keepsakes conventions will not be affected by the magazine’s closure, and the 2015 schedule will continue as posted. Subscribers will be contacted directly by F+W regarding remaining issues on their subscriptions.

F+W had just acquired Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking in January as part of its acquisition of New Track Media. The Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking digital magazine was created a year ago (just prior to the acquisition by F+W) through the merger of the former Paper Crafts and Creating Keepsakes print magazine titles, with the newly created title being 100% digital.

This is the third major publication closure for the industry in a very short period. All American Crafts closed its publications in August, followed by a bankruptcy filing last month. Then Northridge ceased production of its titles. And now Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking has folded. The recent spate of closures has left a large hole in the publications market. The Stampington titles, Scrapbook & Cards Today, Cardmaker, Rubber Stamp Madness, and Scrap & Stamp Arts are pretty much all that is left of what was once a vibrant publishing sector in the U.S. scrapbook market.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Stampo; 11-14-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Been real & been fun

Default Internet responsible?

I imagine the internet is responsible for a lot of this. Too bad, too.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Craft Curmududgeon

Sad, but not surprising.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Aloha 'oe...

I'm so sad to see these dedicated journalists lose their markets...It's been an amazing run!

The world has been made a little cozier with all the welcome Rubber Stamp Plantation has experienced over the years. I'm so grateful that our stamps have excited, inspired, and sparked great friendships that last!

I've been so fortunate over the years to have been so richly supported by Nancy at Vamp Stamp News, Cindy at Altered Arts, Rubberta at Rubber Stamp Madness, all the contributors/editors/publishers of Scrapbooking, Somerset Studios, Rubber Stamper, Stamp & Scrap, Scrap & Art, Belle Armoire, Where Women Create...and the list keeps going...

Artists and contributors have done astounding things with stamps...one of the ultimate artist tools. I love saying that with my stamps, we all "create aloha"!

To all who love to write, journal, experiment, play, create...I love that you love what we make. We stamp makers thrive on you!

Let me know if Rubber Stamp Plantation inspires you to create, and I'll send you a goodie package in exchange for a treasure or 2!

Mahalo nui loa and keep it going...those of you all who are still in it!
Warmest aloha,
Debz

paradise is where i am...
http://www.rubberstampplantation.com
Old 11-15-2014, 09:04 AM

Very sad. A recent visit to Barnes & Noble was a bit of a downer, since there were so few stamping magazines to peruse. Wouldn't it have been great if we all could have subscribed to all the magazines over the years? Of course, we would have all had a separate room in our houses for libraries in which to store them! Ah, dreams.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 PM
UpsideDown

Americans are one for the trendy things. Scrapbooking went far beyond trendy since it impacted all the craft world and some of the traditional art world as well. Ordinary people had an opportunity to create something that felt rightfully important -- saving family memories. I've seen the slide for the last two years. Less sales in brick and mortar stores, less shelf space, less of all of it. There has also been less creativity in paper designs and products. For some truly mindless reason everyone was designing with the exact same color pallet. The smart move has been into card making and other paper crafts. ATCs have picked up a little. Artist Journals alas have faded a bit more. Mixed media is super cool but most scrapbookers find it messy and intimidating. The only way to keep scrapbookers in the craft market are kits, personalities, and/or a new trend. It's going to be hard to replace scrapbooking as a trend. Since I saw this coming I've invested in a lot of scrapbook paper -- any collage artist wants it in their stash before the good stuff is gone. Watch eBa -- people will be unloading their no longer trendy supplies.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Been real & been fun

I believe there are more options available to scrappers than ever before. With all the different die cut machines and dies available, plus the DPs, inks, stamps, washi tape, etc., it seems that scrapping should be getting better. Scrap That! in Tacoma has something like a membership following. Kelle offers classes as well as workspace for $5 for the entire day. She has oodles of free tools plus Cricuts available for rent for $10. She sells DP, plain CS and an array of bling. I've gotten together with one and three of my friends and we had a blast.

There will always be someone who will take the reigns and run with them. We just have to keep our eyes open for them or become one of them.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
UpsideDown

No offense but there's evidence otherwise. Magazines are low margin efforts. Craft books, too. But there used to be people in the isles of my three big craft store chains. Scrapbooking had three or four isles each. They are all down to one or two, and some of that partial. Martha Stewart went from a full isle at Micheals to half an isle on one side. Paper prices and the rest have continued to drop, in the stores and on-line. Sales happen all the time now and it feels like the marketing has gotten more strident. I've heard that CHA was mostly scrapbooking and is being usurped. By no means is scrapbooking dead, and I don't think it will vanish, the market is just contracting as the trend fades. My closest scrapbooking store is an hour away. They have three sales a year instead of one. They still have great classes and plenty of buyers. But they have been teaching other things in addition to scrapbooking for over a year. If nothing else serious scrapbookers have mountains of paper that needs alternative uses. I think boutique stores will be o.k. for awhile. The San Jose area had two rubber stamp only stores in the early 90s, four craft stores with sizable selections, and most card stores (including Hallmark) had a few stamps in baskets at the registers. Trends are temporary. Scrapbooking will just shrink to a smaller size. Some stores will stay. Viva Las Vegas Stamps survived and thrived (I went in the 90s and they were small and sparse -- far from it now!).