Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM
paperaddict

If you go to New Posts and then check down the right side for the Tips and Tutorials thread it should be one of the newer (darker) posts! I always look under the new post heading at least once a day.

And Stampo titled it A Quick Guide to Steampunk. I had a brain freeze when I posted the other info.....

Last edited by CritterPortraits; 12-05-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 AM
stampin stacy

There is also a search feature here at RSC. It is the third to the last option in the reddish brown bar near the top. Starts with User CP, Gallery, etc and ends with log out.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM

When I stamp, I prefer using Versafine ink. It stays wet long enough to dip it in embossing powder so you can heat-set it but also dries by itself fairly fast. The Versafine is great when you have an intricate stamp as well because it doesn't blob between the fine lines.

When I make my backgrounds, I prefer to use a sponge. Not the 8 1/2 x 11" piece you cut into pieces - that seems to give me lines where I sponge. I prefer the round sponges (kind of yellow-orange in color - round on the sides and flat on top and bottom). I cut them into fourths and they are the perfect size for sponging. If you do sponge, after tapping your ink pad with your sponge, tap it off on scrap paper once so you don't end up with a dark spot. I like it better than stippling. My favorite pens to use are Copics and I can use them with my Versafine ink and for me it doesn't bleed. For other members of my local group, it does. So they prefer Memento ink which doesn't bleed when using Copics. I have Stampin' Up! pens as well but hardly ever use them anymore because I'm so fond of my Copics. I purchased the Spectrum Noir pens but prefer the point of the Copics that the Spectrum Noir doesn't have. (Both are alcohol inks whereas Stampin' Up! pens are water-based).

For my paper, I prefer either the white card-stock from Walmart or Staples. It's not matte - just white card stock. I do most of my cards using that to stamp my image on. For background papers, Stampin' Up! has great paper as I'm sure other companies do as well. For black paper I use Walmart paper or Stampin' Up! The Walmart paper is lighter and not exactly 8 1/2 x 11" even though it says it is. You can get great patterned paper at those two locations, craft stores, and on-line. You can even create your own (that's where I start by sponging the paper if it's a background paper I want).

If you are using pencils, be sure to have a blender pen. It makes the difference between coloring and seeing all the lines from your strokes and seeing something professional. That blender pen smoothes out all the lines and makes it look a continuous color.

I prefer to stamp my images in black unless I'm using stamps by Penny Black or Local King Rubber Stamp (reverse image stamps meaning instead of stamping the outline of your image, it stamps the inside of the image). I color the stamp with pens on those

Hope this gives you a little more info to work with. The reason I don't use chalks is I found they rub off and smear unless you set it with something. And I don't use matte paper because the regular card stock does everything for me except when I want to work with water colors. Then I use water color paper. I have stamps from Art Impression that requires water color paper to make everything look like you water-colored it. Once in a great while I'll use shiny card stock but be careful, your stamps have a tendency to slide on it so you have to make sure you set your stamp straight down and lift it straight up or you'll smear your image.