Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 PM
UpsideDown

Default Stamping Paper

I'm sure this has been covered a million times. But there are no recent posts here or elsewhere. So here goes.

What is your favorite paper to stamp on?
Please be specific and include a link if you can.

What is your favorite card stock or other heavy paper?
Again, be specific and link if possible.

What is your dream paper of any weight?

Do you know of a good deal or a great supplier?

I was just looking at actual stamping paper and was shocked at the prices. OMG. I cannot afford that. So I did my homework and found a sale. My local professional art store (not Michael's) has a back to school going on. I decided to try Strathmore 400 series, 9x12 Drawing, 24 sheets, for $3.85. It's an awesome cream with a little bit of tooth and a heavy card stock weight. The other was Canson XL Mix Media, 11x14, 60 sheets, $10.00. Finally I picked up my FAVORITE 7x5 Pentalic Nature Sketch for my art journals -- expensive but I get 50 sheets for $10.00. So when you do the math I'm less then 16 cents per sheet and less. Considering what Ranger and rest are charging I'm buying the moon.

Of course the Canson and Strathmore are way too big. I'll make a trip down to my local printer (not Kinko's) and for a few dollars they'll cut it to whatever sizes I want. Nice clean, professional cuts. Mine never end up straight even when I use a tabletop cutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10316-1003-2-2ww-m.jpg (35.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 12468-1023-2-2ww-m.jpg (14.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Been real & been fun

What is your favorite paper to stamp on?
When I first started stamping, back in the mid '90s, my good friend Liz (who'd been stamping since '78) introduced me to offcut cardstock. Offcut is what print shops would have left over after doing a custom print job. The print shop would bind similar pieces together in packs of 25 or 50 pieces of cardstock and sell them for a nominal flat price. Most often, it was white 80# cardstock.

What is your favorite card stock or other heavy paper?
Bassill

What is your dream paper of any weight?
80# Bassill and Washi Paper

Do you know of a good deal or a great supplier?
Printshops nowawadays recycle all of their offcut cardstock. I'd recommend still asking on the outside chance that one still offers this. I've found Bassill at some presently intact small craft stores such as Scrap That, Artco, Ben Franklin and such. Hobby Lobby might also carry it but usually only in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 AM
UpsideDown

Print shops! Total brain fart. I used to work in print shops… more than 10 years ago. JC Paper here in the San Fransisco Bay Area still have stores. They put all the partially opened, seconds, and leftover reams in their stores, along with new stuff. Staff is still great according to Yelp. Only 45 minutes to the nearest store.

In the '90s I used Kashmir which had this dreamy finish. Must have purged when I divorced. The kind of paper that one drools over. I think it was silk finish, not gloss or even semi-gloss, just perfect for stamping. Sigh.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

I'm old school and still love kromecote. Never one to keep up with the fads.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 PM
UpsideDown

Kromecote! Oh yeah. Way too gloss for me. Arthritic hands. Gone to the grungy look in self-defense. How does Kromecote compare to Ranger or the others? More glossy?

If I get to it this century, would anyone be interested in going in on ream with me? I''ll get something mat but still coated.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Been real & been fun

Thanks, but I don't work with coated paper much. I stick with matte and rather plain cardstock unless there's a designer paper that just won't let go of me.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Cookie Muncher

I don't really have favorites. I just use whatever catches my eye. I bought a nice supply of cardstock from Amy when she had her clearout a while ago, so I'm set for a long time to come.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM

Wink

Good topic 'Upside Down', but my 'stamping paper' rarely involves weights, types or brands.

There's nothing 'wrong' with that approach, of course, but I came to crafts--including stamping--when options for stamps, inks & papers were very limited.

Along with many of my crafting peers, we used whatever we could glean or scrounge from wherever.

I enjoy learning about what's available for purchase. but when I want to stamp & need paper? I'll use bags, envelopes, paper towels & newspaper--to name just a few souces.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Yes, you can stamp on anything... even a bay leaf!
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 AM
UpsideDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampo View Post
Yes, you can stamp on anything... even a bay leaf!
So when it gets crunched you put it in the stew? Guess you'd want a vegan stamp pad or something.