Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Been real & been fun

I bought a book called MoodMapping which told of the idea of journaling moods. It didn't work out for me because it had to be done at the same times of day every day. So I modified it to meet what I could reasonably do.

Most of my journal starts off with Scripture du Jour as I receive a scripture a day in my e-mail and then I transcribe it into my journal. I use a composition notebook for journaling. Like me, it's become a mixed bag of nuts. I've made altered notebooks and they were a lot of fun. Now I'm on the writing side of it. Eventually, I want to incorporate the two ideas mostly because I feel that writing without pictures is rather drab.

It's true Stacy. There really aren't any hard & fast rules to journaling or art journaling. I believe it's whatever works for you.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 AM
stampin stacy

I've managed to download a few journaling books free onto my Kindle and am planning to read them while I'm at the beach with DH's family (ugh). I'd like to take a limited travel journal kit but an on the fence. I would be willing to bet $$$$$ that it won't stay private and that they will have lots to say about what they see/read, they are a very opinionated bunch with entitlement issues, what we put ourselves thru for marital harmony.

AQ, you could still do drawings and stamping in a regular notebook, you just need to choose less "wet" mediums such as pencils and chalks. You could probably even do some watercolor if you use a light hand, I've seen people place another piece of paper or even wax paper between pages until they dry.

I'm in the opposite camp, it's the journaling I have trouble with. It is really hard to let go and put what I'm thinking down in "black and white" as it were. That is why I downloaded those Kindle books.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Cookie Muncher

I've kept written journals off and on for about 40 years, but other than choosing pleasing covers, using colored inks, and making the occasional sketch, I haven't incorporated any art into them. I do like the idea of an art journal, but I like to write in my comfy chair with my feet up, which is not a great position for creating art.

Hmm. While typing the previous paragraph, I realized that there might be a solution for me. I invested in a Circa punch and disks from Levengers a while ago because I use it to make my agenda calendars and pages for my password notebook. (The Circa system allows me to move pages around easily.) If I made a journal with those notched pages, I could write in my comfy chair, then bring the page over to my table for embellishment. I could also use any paper and medium and just add pages as I go along. Of course, this would also work for a looseleaf notebook, but since I already have the equipment, I might as well use it.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
I've managed to download a few journaling books free onto my Kindle and am planning to read them while I'm at the beach with DH's family (ugh). I'd like to take a limited travel journal kit but an on the fence. I would be willing to bet $$$$$ that it won't stay private and that they will have lots to say about what they see/read, they are a very opinionated bunch with entitlement issues, what we put ourselves thru for marital harmony.

AQ, you could still do drawings and stamping in a regular notebook, you just need to choose less "wet" mediums such as pencils and chalks. You could probably even do some watercolor if you use a light hand, I've seen people place another piece of paper or even wax paper between pages until they dry.

I'm in the opposite camp, it's the journaling I have trouble with. It is really hard to let go and put what I'm thinking down in "black and white" as it were. That is why I downloaded those Kindle books.
I had trouble journaling, to begin with. Then as I began journaling, starting with just one scripture a day, it began to morph into more. Now, I just do my best to put down the highlights of my day.

The trick is not to get would around the axle. You'll only end up with a sore back, as it were. A journal is for writing down anything you please. You can scream in it, cuss if you want and it won't talk back to you. It's yours to do with as you please. So, quit trying to create rules and just DO it! You will find out just what a paper tiger it's been and how easy it truly is.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM

A friend took a Dyan Reaveley art journaling class. One of the tasks that the students were to do is write all of their fears, negative, thoughts, pains, drama & anything else that they wanted no one else to see/hear. They then painted over it in black paint. Then once that dried, with a little help, they re-colored the page to make it a bright happy page. I thought that was a great way to unburden one's heart, mind & soul. I know I will be doing that in my altered books. HTH

Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 AM
stampin stacy

Thanks for the encouragement ladies, I'll keep your advice in mind AQ. Alsmouse one time I wrote a word on a page scrambled and one letter at a time all over a page. Then I painted and decorated the page, most letters ended covered up or mostly hidden but I know they are there and what they spell. I also created a small pocket on a page that I put a tag in.

Lady K, I had a multi-pocket accordion folder in my craft room closet that is now my art journal folder. Blank paper in a pocket; painted and decorated papers ready to journal on in another; embellishments, magazine cut outs, etc that I want to use in another. At the back is all the pages I have finished, waiting to be bound together once I get enough of them. When I'm ready to journal, I just flip thru all the pages I have added color to already until one says "Use me!".

You could also draw a picture with watercolor pencils downstairs and use a paint brush to finish the page later. I've seen some wonderful journaling page examples that were simple sketches with either little or no color added. They can actually be the most expressive sometimes.