Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM
wood veneer man

Question about embossing

Could someone tell me more about embossing techniques , This is something I
am trying to do on my new cards . Is this finish durable enough to be mailed
without an envelope?
Thanks,

Wood veneer man
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I assume you are referring to heat embossing with powders? I think much would depend on how it is treated in the mail process...some postal machinery can really beat up envelopes...I would think you may have to try a test mailing and see? I know when mailing cards with bits of bling or brads often without a little padded protection items get smashed together and with less wonderful results.
Spideycindy
PS there are alot of various embossing powders out there and some will take layers of embossing but can crackle if flexed too much.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood veneer man View Post
Could someone tell me more about embossing techniques , This is something I
am trying to do on my new cards . Is this finish durable enough to be mailed
without an envelope?
Thanks,

Wood veneer man
I've mailed and received thousands of embossed post cards with no envelope...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2008, 10:44 AM
stmpstone

Default Embossing

If you're concerned about how your card will make it through the mail without an envy, make a test card and mail it to yourself and see if it travels fine.

I've done card with various embellishments on it and if it's lightly embellished I mail it by turning the front to the inside. Or if I think the embellishments inside will mark the card, I add a card guard. I have some cheap handmade type papers and send them on the front of the card writing "card guard" on the front so the receiver doesn't think they're a part of the card. Anything heavily embellished goes in a bubble envelope.

if you're talking about dry embossing, I think that would mail just fine. I love using the cuttlebug embossing folders as they are deeply embossed and it would take a lot of pressure to ruin them. Of course, with the postal system....anything is possible. lol
Claudia in Las Vegas
Old 06-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Inky the Muse

If you're talking about heat embossing your wood veneer postcards then the ep 'should' hold it's own. Detail or a single layer of regular grind will add dimension w/o adding too much of a raised layer that could get chipped riding thru' the PO sorting machines. Paying extra for hand cancellation might be a good option as well.

Stmpstone's idea of doing a test mailing is a good idea to see how the ep does. You could send one regular mail & one hand cancelled to see if the extra postage makes a noticable difference.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
wood veneer man

Smile

Guys these are some great ideas. What else could I do to these cards . Along with the embossing are there other things I can do to make these cards attractive . The veneer on veneer is beautiful . I need some new ideas .
I am open .
Thanks

Wood Veneer Man
Old 06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
stampin stacy

I have a couple of pics in my gallery where I stamped and then colored on wooden craft sticks that turned out great and I just used colored pencils on them.

P S I've been wanting to do a post card swap even before you joined but am waiting until summer and vacations, etc are over so everyone will have more time to play, so stayed tuned.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 PM
wood veneer man

Stampin Stacey since your helping me out. How do I find your gallery? Where in north Texas are you from ?

Thanks
Wood veneer man
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
stampin stacy

Its in the gallery here, just go to gallery and then to member's galleries. Select the letter "S" and then Stampin Stacy or use same method to look at any individuals gallery. If you haven't spent much time in the gallery area, be sure to have a large glass of something to drink because you are going to be there a while. Lots of our vendor members have galleries too and there is tons of awesome stuff to look at here. Hope you are able to upload some of your postcards soon, am anxious to see them.

I'm in the DFW area, thats why I was asking about the upcoming convention in July.