Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Yes, this is true. There are still folks like knitters and crocheters that do slow work but even they have some shortcuts like the Q hook afghans. I see things evolving as there are faster drying paints, pre-preped canvas, etc. All shortcuts. That is also what diecuts are - shortcuts.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanlhl View Post
Yes, I agree. But who makes the faster means of expression possible? Artists
LOL, Susan!

We've been discussing working with 'heavy' metals on this thread--beverage cans & flashing. Time to introduce a new 'player'--kitchen foil! It's in everyone's kitchen & is easy to cut, punch, emboss, etc.

Entered a challenge where we had to use kitchen foil & came up with a piece.

Like most metals, stamping on it was tricky, but StazOn worked well for stamping & coloring. The BG is EF-embossed. The Arch is a die cut. Both are kitchen foil mounted on adhesive paper to support to the foil. The dragon is aluminum can.

So... Can we add kitchen foil to our chat. Questions, comments, tips & such?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (43.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Foil of course belongs here. I prefer the Heavy Duty for crafting as it is less likely to get torn while being worked. Years ago I did a technique that started with cord glued to chipboard to create a design. The foil is crumpled and then unfolded and glued and rubbed down onto the corded board with ends wrapped to the back. You may antique the piece with black or brown inks at this point. A clear medium colored with dyes can be filled into the spaces of the corded design. I have no sample as this was at least 40 years ago.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Craft Curmududgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab View Post
Foil of course belongs here. I prefer the Heavy Duty for crafting as it is less likely to get torn while being worked. Years ago I did a technique that started with cord glued to chipboard to create a design. The foil is crumpled and then unfolded and glued and rubbed down onto the corded board with ends wrapped to the back. You may antique the piece with black or brown inks at this point. A clear medium colored with dyes can be filled into the spaces of the corded design. I have no sample as this was at least 40 years ago.
Thanks for the input, Fab. What inks have you found to be 'permanent' on aluminum foil? Especially ones that can be used to stamp on the metal without the need to use EPs.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:54 PM

I have not been stamping on it lately, but my guess would be stazon and perhaps sharpies for drawing and coloring. Alcohol inks should work fine too.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 AM
stampin stacy

The Memories India Ink Black should work too. I sure wish they would come out with some more colors of the india inks. I love having an ink that is permanent on most surfaces that doesn't stink and does not need reinking constantly.

Last edited by stampin stacy; 10-28-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
The Memories India Ink Black should work too. I sure with they would come out with some more colors of the india inks. I love having an ink that is permanent on most surfaces that doesn't stink and does not need reinking constantly.
Thanks, Stacy. Coloring metal is not a big problem, but I would love to have more stamping ink options on metal other than just StazOn. And (as I've said) I want options that don't involve embossing powders. I would love to stamp metal as easily as paper. Hope springs eternal!