Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Talking Building shaped projects by Stamping

I have a love affair with building 'shaped' projects--tags, cards, etc.--& stamps are among my favorite way to do just that.

For many of us who stamp, we may be used to starting with a standard blank--tag, fold card, etc.. That's fine. This technique is different.

When I decide to build a shape I start with the base shape--usually a rectangle or square. I use an envelope to set my 'margins'. I draw an outline of an envelope on plain paper & trim it down so the finished project will easily fit into the envelope for mailing.

Then I assemble the stamps & diecuts that I want to use to create the finished shape. Depending on how confident I feel I may stamp directly on the base I've cut. More often I'll make some test elements so I can play with the arrangement before I commit to the project material.

Either way... Once I've got the shape set, I cut it out & do any additional work.

Single shapes like tags are the easiest way to get your feet wet for this technique, but doing fold projects are even more fun once you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg masked tag.jpg (35.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Craft Curmududgeon; 01-30-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM

This looks like fun, Daniel. I am not sure i understand yet though. Do you wind up with a two dimensional shape or a 3d one?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanlhl View Post
This looks like fun, Daniel. I am not sure i understand yet though. Do you wind up with a two dimensional shape or a 3d one?
Good question, Susan. The example shown is (mostly) 2D since I stamped all the images on the base CS & then cut out the shape instead of making separate cutouts & layering. HTH.

Currently I'm working on creating a gatefold tag that I'll cut as one piece. I plan to 'shape' both the top of the tag & the edges of the 'gate' by stamping & then cutting.

If it works I'll share a pic when possible.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Thanks for explaining some more about your process, Daniel. I think I get it now!