Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Default DIY: flower press

DIY: it is easy to make a quick flower press using 2 plywood pieces cut to the same size, 4-8 long (3-6 inches long) screws, equal amount of wing nuts to fit the screws, a few sheets of corrugated cardboard, cut slightly smaller than the plywood pieces, & a stack of blotter paper,also cut slightly smaller than the plywood pieces.

Drill holes slightly larger than the screw size, on the plywood sheet at each corner 1-1.5 inch in from the edges. Make sure the holes are in the same spot on each corner of each plywood piece. If you are making a larger press, then at the half of each side drill holes on each side. Thread the long screws through each hole. On the corrugated cardboard, cut of each corner to allow a place for the screw to pass through. Place 1 sheet of corrugated cardboard on top of the pkywood, add 1 sheet of blotter paper cut to same size, shape of corrugated cardboard. Place item to be dried on top of blotter paper, top with another sheet of blotter paper, follow with a sheet of corrugated cardboard. repeat until you have all the items you wish to press inside press, ending with a last piece of corrugated cardboard. place remaining plywood piece on top, threading screws through holes, screw on wing nuts & gently tighten screws down. Each day, slightly tighten screws a bit more, this helps keep the items being pressed flat. Check after 3 days for dryness. keep items in press until completely dry or till items are needed.
I have a 15x15 & a 10x24 press, I use them often. I have dried really thin items [orchids, violets, light ferns] to thick items [roses, seed pods, heavy fern leaves]. all have come out great. The blotting paper does get stained & will form around the thicker items. It is still useable until it it is really rippled or heavily stained. Blotter paper is available at office supply stores, make sure it is archival.
Please feel free to ask questions.
~C8>

Last edited by alsmouse; 12-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Or you can buy one.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
staceystamper

Smile Microfleur

A friend and I were doing this a few years ago, and after taking days to dry them (we used heavy books and waxed paper), we came across the Microfleur at a craft store...it is essentially a flower press you use in the microwave. We made some great creations from her garden, I'll have to take a look for my machine to make some more this spring.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Great idea especially if you want to press in bulk Thanks for sharing this, Alsmouse.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 PM

i thought everyone did old phone books...that what i use...an old phone number book..so far it has lasted me 6 yrs and still in good shape...why do you guys press them...is it so you can use them quicker ?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM

I use the hard form press because we go into the backwoods & mountains in an off-road vehicle so a phone book might get tossed around. It can take a beating, keep the plants flat & will take the fern fronds & branches I like to use. It also is very absorbent & will press the mosses, lichens & odd shaped fruits, seeds that I find for good identifying when we get back home. Phone books have their place but when I am trying to get larger specimens the larger, sturdier press handles my needs.
My Dad made me both of them & I figure that each press cost no more than $10 each & most of that was for the bolts & wing nuts.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 AM

alsmouse- I love your idea of taking a hard form press on your nature expeditions. I have an antique German flower press my Mom bought me for a X-mas present a few years ago. I would never use that for traveling since it's precious to me. I usually take a nature book with me for my flower press. I like your idea better.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM

thanks for explaining...yes, my phone book would only be good for home use...it surely wouldn't make it back down a mountain trail....thanks for telling me the difference