Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
stampin stacy

I stopped by Dollar Tree today and they had 12 X 12 sheets of styrofoam and for those that don't know everything there is $1.

Always a little freaky when we talk about an unusual item and lo and behold there it is..... next time I'm shopping.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanlhl View Post
That was going to be my question. Would a Big Shot or Cuttlebug work instead of the pasta machine once you got the Styrofoam down in thickness a bit with your rolling pin.
Although I haven't compressed Styro in my CB, here's where I think using machines like it or BS might prove difficult...

The object of this technique is to compress the styro until it is the thickness of heavy paper or cs. The pasta maker with its several thickness settings allows me to do that in stages by narrowing the opening after each pass-thru.

With machines like CB or BS the only way I can see to do the same is by shimming the sandwich of plates & styro as the foam gets thinner. Might work, but lots more effort required. HTH

Another note about Styrofoam... You may find something called 'puffy foam' (not sure Dow still mfrs it). It does not work the same way as regular Styrofoam does.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Been real & been fun

I wasn't so much as looking to compressing the foam as to putting something of a design into it. Then again, I think I should have posted this over on the craft foam thread.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
I stopped by Dollar Tree today and they had 12 X 12 sheets of styrofoam and for those that don't know everything there is $1.

Always a little freaky when we talk about an unusual item and lo and behold there it is..... next time I'm shopping.
LOL, Stacy! I don't find Styrofoam unusual, but KWYM. That's a great buy for Styro! How thick are the sheets?

BTW... If you look in the floral area/aisle, you may find green Styrofoam there. Usually it'll be block foam, but you can slice it into sheets.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
I wasn't so much as looking to compressing the foam as to putting something of a design into it. Then again, I think I should have posted this over on the craft foam thread.
'Sok, Roberta! I think I understand what you're asking. Let's see...

Putting a design in Styrofoam? Yep! Given the courseness of the foam I find simple works best for this and actually includes 'compressing' the styro (somewhat).

Here's a few simples...

1. Take a piece of Styrofoam 1/2" thick or better. Use a tool--pencil, pen, orange stick, brush handle, etc.--to incise the foam. Try doing a wood grain--easy first. Ink the Styro & stamp. (I use dye inks)

2. (Very timely). Press a cookie cutter into the foam. Ink & stamp.

Lots of additional ways to vary & combine just these 2 methods...