Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here. Not for tutorials that include self promotion or links to off site tutorials.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Onward and upward!

Location: It's hard to live in the smoke when you've lived in the fire!

Simple can be SO awesome! Look forward to seeing your creation.

Where you are, there you are.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Good inks, good paper and sharp scissors and knives are vital. I have been known to go for new trends and stuff but you always go back to basics! I love my dies and machine too!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Default Stamp Positioners

Hello,
I am new to this website. Has anyone used the Cathie Allans Position-It? I am considering buying it. I like that it has a large surface, but am wondering if it is worth the $$?

Appreciate any info
Thanks!
Kathy
Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM

Just saw this thread. For me -- I love glossy card stock, ranger's black archival, India ink black stamp pad. Definitely agree about the guillotine paper cutter. Add a water brush, versamark watermark ink, a heat tool and some great stamps and you are ready to have hours of fun.

Hope you'll join us in some swaps!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2062 View Post
Hello,
I am new to this website. Has anyone used the Cathie Allans Position-It? I am considering buying it. I like that it has a large surface, but am wondering if it is worth the $$?

Appreciate any info
Thanks!
Kathy
I just searched about this product and watched a video on it and it is impressive. The thickness is what impressed me most because my problem is often my stamp on a block is thicker than my positioner and it touches down before I am perfectly aligned. You may be onto a great product here. I do not know the price but is is lovely and useful. The size is nice and the options for repeat stampings is great. Where did you find it and if I may ask what is the price?
I like it but don't know the price...
Old 06-24-2012, 12:56 AM

Ditto to advice my colleagues have offered. I have lots of colors of stuff (e.g., ink and embossing powder) I don't use very often. I mostly use black ink and I have at least 5 or 6 different brands. My current favorite is versifine black.

One thing I wished I had done earlier and more consistently was make sure I recorded the manufacturer of every image I own. If I were to start all over, I think I'd stamp the image, write the manufacturer name, and maybe even the date and place I purchased from, scan that stuff into a pdf or jpg file, and name the scanned file in a way that enabled me to find the information when I needed it. And you will need it. Several thousand stamps later, I have only incomplete information. When you decide you want to try and get your art published, or someone asks you where you got that beautiful stamp, you will be ready.

Stamp positioner a must. Self-healing cutting mat, a must. Essential: good quality paper cutter, scissors, art knife (e.g., exacto) (get one with a comfortable handle). I'm addicted to adhesives of all sorts, although I tend to use double-stick tape most often.

Most important supplies: imagination and willingness to experiment, ability to use what at first looks like a mistake as an opportunity for exercising creativity.

Debra
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Positioner

Hello,
The Cathie Allan Position-It is on sale at Joanns.com for about $22. Or you can get it at overstock.com for about $24.
Kathy
Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2062 View Post
Hello,
The Cathie Allan Position-It is on sale at Joanns.com for about $22. Or you can get it at overstock.com for about $24.
Kathy
I would say that is a pretty good deal and if you can watch a demo online it really shows the versatility of this particular stamp positioner.
I would say any kind is better than nothing. I have several that have come my way as gifts but the thicker position insert is a great improvement because I have bumbled it by accidently touching down before I was ready and perfectly aligned...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM

i guess some folks like them..but i bought one when i first started stamping..and it was harder trying to position it for repeated works..that i just found it easier to do it by hand with just a ruler...after a few weeks..i didnt need it anymore..i learned how to mask everything..so now..it just sits back in a drawer..its 15 yrs old now..as using the ruler..all you do is stand it up sideways and your stamp falls right down beside it and on your line..so much nicer than fumbling over a stamp positioner..but before you buy one..try to find one at your friends to use..a stamp positioner..and then try the ruler..if you really need one..this would be the best way to see which one you like and then question yourself..would i use it that much..chances are..you wont..but this way, you would know for sure

Last edited by inkkyjo; 06-24-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Stamp Hoarder

One 'mistake' I made when I first started....I bought every stamp I liked. Didn't matter if I had any use for it, if I liked it, I had to have it. Now, almost 4,000 stamps later, I look at stamps differently. I usually won't buy them unless I have an idea of what I might use it for.

I hate the guillotine style cutters, I prefer the other kind. I very rarely use glossy paper. And hardly ever emboss, even though I have embossing powder in just about every color.

I stamp almost everything with Archival black ink and color with Prismacolor pencils. I use distress inks for stamping backgrounds sometimes, or edging paper.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to watch a lot of stamping tutorials online, go to a local stamp store if you have one...and see what you like. Then go from there.