Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 PM

I've enjoyed all contributions on this thread so much. Thank you RSC folks! Just to add a bit...I've found the color wheel to be a great help for both inspiration and figuring out how/why colors might "go" or not. I put off buying one for a long time, but since breaking down and picking one up, I've been pleased often to have it at my stamping table. Debra
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM

How does the Color Wheel help you, Debra? Do you use the Color Wheel to help you choose color combinations? Or maybe to find complimentary colors?? Do you choose colors close to each other on the Color Wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelsong View Post
I've enjoyed all contributions on this thread so much. Thank you RSC folks! Just to add a bit...I've found the color wheel to be a great help for both inspiration and figuring out how/why colors might "go" or not. I put off buying one for a long time, but since breaking down and picking one up, I've been pleased often to have it at my stamping table. Debra
Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 AM

The Color Wheel is a great tool!

Check out this tool to help use the color wheel... http://colorschemedesigner.com/

It helps with Monochrome, Compliments, Triad, Tetrad, Analogic... Choose a color scheme type, move the dot around on the left image and the right side changes accordingly.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the link, Lyneen. I own a color wheel, I just never remember to get it out when I'm creating. Mostly I look at print fabrics and such that I like and borrow/snitch color combos from those.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Lovett View Post
How does the Color Wheel help you, Debra? Do you use the Color Wheel to help you choose color combinations? Or maybe to find complimentary colors?? Do you choose colors close to each other on the Color Wheel?
I use it for all of the above. Sometimes when I'm "stuck" on what color would go with what, I look at what's opposite, what's next to it, etc. My color wheel is a "Pick, Point and Match" Rainbow Color Selector. I don't usually tout brands, but this one works for me because of the little wheel that rotates and then points to the various possible color selections using color theory and the colors' positions on the wheel. See this website for a much better explanation than I can provide: http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/...eory-intro.htm

The Color Selector wheel has little windows that allow me to see how close the color on the wheel is to the color of paper I happen to be using.

It helps me confirm and understand why I've chosen various combinations that seem to look good; and, on the other hand, the wheel also helps me to identify what might look good based on what paper I have available.

Debra
Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks, Debra.

We are sure learning a lot here! Thanks to everyone.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Wow, is that ever cool. Thanks for the link, Lyneen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyneen View Post
Check out this tool to help use the color wheel... http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 PM

Thank you ladies for info on color, my weakest talent.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Welcome to our community, Yankee. Hope you will join us in some swaps, or in conversation or in the game room.