Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Craft Critique did a review of black inks which may help in deciding which type or company you may want to consider for picking the gray ink pad from.
http://www.craftcritique.com/2011/08...omparison.html
HTH
~C8>
Old 08-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Been real & been fun

Ok. I am going to ask a stoopid question here, because, after all, that's what I do.

Why is it that you can't use Ranger's Grey Distress Ink as you mentioned in your initial post?

The reason I ask, is that I have purchased numerous pads of their ink in all manner of colors and haven't really found them to be much different than any other dye ink I've ever used.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Inky the Muse

Stacy wants a waterproof gray that will allow for wet coloring as well as dry coloring. Regular dye ink & pigment ink pads are water based & can bleed if the ink gets wet after it dries, so coloring with markers, paints (watercolors, Twinks, etc) or even using blender pens on dry color is iffy at best if you don't use a solvent based or hybrid ink.

The Ranger distress inks are a type of hybrid in that they stay wet longer than regular dye inks, but they seem to have an oily component rather than a solvent. Solvent inks tend to dry quickly as the solvent evaporates (hense the need to reink the pad when you get it out & maybe again while using it) & can be used for decorative purposes on non-porous (glass, plastic ceramics etc) as well as porous materials (paper, wood, stone).

Solvent inks like StazOn usually require a curing period (72 hours for StazOn) to be truly dry & can be washed off non-porous surfaces with water, but they will dry & stay put if kept dry. Regular dye inks usually don't dry well, if at all, on say glass. Pigment inks won't dry on glass either, but can be heat emboss for a more permanent finish tho' it can chip if not handled carefully.

Clear as mud AQ?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 PM
stampin stacy

Yeap, what she said

Distress Inks are meant to bleed, run, blend, etc when you get them wet, so not a good option for watercoloring, mineral spirits & pencil blending, etc....
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Been real & been fun

If what you said, Stacy, is true about Distress Inks are meant to bleed, run, blend, etc., then it would seem that watercolor pencils would work with it especially if you were working on a Hallowe'en type of them like blood or gore or some such thing.

I have understood from watching a Tim Holtz vid that the Ranger Distress inks stay wet long enough that they can also be used in wet embossing.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Pattidee

Default Versafine and Ranger

Versafine is my favorite for stamping and using with Copic markers. I never worry about it bleeding, but, you have to heatset it or let it dry for about 24 hours. I usually stamp my images one day ahead of time just to be sure.

I also recommend Ranger super fine clear embossing powder if you want to make sure the image is set.

Have fun!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 AM
stampin stacy

I'm not sure the Distress inks would bleed in the right way. I'm thinking they would run into area's I didn't want and could mix with the watercolors and create "mud" colors instead.

I think I may see if I can pick up a Memento's pad next time I'm out and about. Just not sure when that will be,