Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 AM
CowTown Stamps owner

Default fabric paint on rubber stamps?

has anyone had experience using fabric paint on stamps? i have a customer asking and I have never done it, and if anyone has, could you please post how it went for you? Any issues you came across? Got any pix to share? She is wanting to stamp some of our fireman stamps on onsies for a themed gift. I told her I have not tried fabric paint on stamps yet and i would ask around.

Thanks in advance!
Click here to see our Card Gallery!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Inky the Muse

Yes, you can use fabric paint on rubber, BUT it's very important to have a tray or something of water handy to place the stamps in as soon as one finishes with them so the paint doesn't dry on the stamp & clog it up. Fabric paint is easier than acryllic to clean off, but it's easier still to not let the paint dry on the stamp. Also, she needs to be prepared to re-paint the images by hand as they don't always come out strong. Unlike dye ink, paint sits on top of the fabric & if pressed too hard will just smoosh out the edges of the stamp like pigment ink does. So touching up the outline or filling in areas of solid images may be necessary. Depending on the detail of the image a fine tip paint brush may be needed, but a brush tip Fantastix works fine on larger solid shapes. Oh & if she's stamping on colored fabric, rather than white/natural, re-painting will be needed as a fab paints require 2-3 coats to be opaque on colors.

I just stamped 3 colored t-shirts for me & my demo pals for our annual convention, so this is all still fresh in my inky head.