Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Default Craft Iron

I just saw a video on a technique using Fantasy Film and a craft iron. I know an iron is used in other techniques as well and I've used my regular iron for them. But now I'm thinking about a smaller craft iron and wonder if that's what most of you use. Also, where does one buy them? What's a ball park price I should expect to pay. I'm hoping someone says they are available at Michael's (which department?) because it sure would be nice to use a coupon. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Inky the Muse

Hi Ingrid!

I too have used my clothes iron for crafting over the years. (like I EVER iron clothes? ) But whe I came across some tequniques that would work better with a steam holeless craft iron I went to Michael's and use a coupon to get a mini craft iron. I think it was $35-$40 full price & I used a 50% off coupon. I found it in the sewing notions aisle on the bottom shelf. It comes apart for easy storage & includes a lil bag to carry/store the pieces. So far it's worked great! I also bought (w/coupon) a mini ironing board w/legs that fold flat to use with the mini iron since getting the big board out is a pain & takes up a lot of room when I'm only working on card sized pieces.

Another useful, but often over looked tool is a silicon hot glue pad. M's carries them for about $3.50-ish (that's what I paid for mine several years ago) in the floral tools section (florist's tape, wire for stems, hot glue tools & accs. etc.). I use it not only with my hot glue gun, but have also used it with my heat tool (tho' the hot air created under it can make it rise in a big bubble until the pad cools off ) to set stuff I'm embossing on as well as when making hot glue 'wax' seals. One can melt the colored glue right on the pad, press the desired image into the soft hot glue, then peel off the pieces when they've cooled.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Jenna, what encouraging information! I need to check out my Michael's. I hadn't thought about the sewing notions section, but that makes sense. I look there for other things every now and then and probably passed right over the iron. I have an old sleeve board that I never use any more which would probably make a fine mini-ironing board although the technique using the Fantasy Film didn't need a board. She placed the film directly on the stamp (which was on it's back) and ironed right over the film for 2 or 3 seconds. I'm not sure it's something I want to do, but it sure made a beautiful butterfly or dragonfly, so I'm thinking about it.

And I've been wanting one of those hot glue pads and even looked for it but never in the floral tools department. Thanks so much for sharing the information.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Inky the Muse

You are most welcome!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Hello I would like to add that if you go to our very own "CowTown Stamps' and under search type in Craft Iron it will take you to her product and it sells for $11.50. I purchased one and it is small and gets nice and hot! You can even pick colors I think! Worth checking out as well.
Spideycindy
Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks for that tip, Spidey. I'm still considering if it's a tool I would use much, but at last now I know where to get a good one... in a color I like.