View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM

Smile

This is an ongoing problem for me

Over the past year or so, I purchased a bunch of Sweet Pea Stamps (just rubber). Since they're one company, I placed them in ziploc gallon or quart bags by artist, then in alphabetical order (by stamp title). I have these stored in a plastic sterilite container. I also planned to stamp the images out in a sketch book, so I can look through that to find the images I want rather than digging throught the bags. I haven't done that yet and honestly, I've been procrastinating because it's going to take a while to do that. I made one of those books early on when my stamps would fit in a shoebox and it was helpful, but dang, I have way more than a shoebox now Almost forgot, I also use these plastic cases, which I purchased from Daiso or other Japanese-type dollar store. They are a perfect height for storing wood-mounted stamps (except Magenta).

As for my other stamps, I purged most of my clear stamps and keep most of the remaining in a photobox. Some, I keep with the artist if I have a bunch from that person. I also went through my wood mounted and kept only the ones I loved or really liked and knew I couldn't replace easily. Then, I organized these by company or theme (i.e. kept most of the SU in one box and have two small containers that are food and alphabet themed). I do need to reorganize because this is not the greatest system, but right now as long as the stamps aren't on the floor, I'm counting it as a success

For stamping, I use Tack 'n Peel, double-sided tape or my mono. I didn't have much luck with the Tack-it-Over as it would peel off the block when I pulled the rubber off (could have been user error). Tack 'n Peel is kind of pricey, but I use a coupon to get it. It can be cut to fit your acrylic block and cleaned when it's no longer tacky (like clear stamps - use water and dishwashing soap). I haven't put it on all my blocks because I still use the blocks with clear stamps. For convenience, I have just run my mono on the block and stuck the rubber on.

I have really come to dislike the easy mount foam (maybe it's the ones I have). Over time, it slides off the stamp and leaves a sticky residue. Sliding the foam back into place doesn't always work. Also, some residue is easy to remove and others are a total ...I've just come to the point that I prefer bare rubber or wood mount.

Oh wow, didn't expect to write that much, but to summarize:

1) Storage - ziploc bags, clear containers with lids, bankers boxes, plastic containers, photoboxes.
2) Category - theme, company, artist, and/or type (rubber, clear, wood)
3) How to stamp - acrylic block with Tack 'n peel, mono adhesive or double-sided tape
4) Easy mount foam - JUST SAY NO

Extras:
5) Start small - maybe group them by company first, then work your way through each group weeding it down: start a KEEP, DONATE and NOT SURE/MAYBE pile
* Do you love it? (I've kept some images just because I love them even if I hardly use them)
* Have you used them or plan to use them?
* Do you have stamps with similar images (i.e. 3 pears - which one are you most likely to use)?
6) A lot of times, your tastes may have changed over the years, so something you loved back then just isn't to your taste now.
7) Let it go if it's not something you will use or love, even if it was given to you by a friend or loved one (I had a hard time letting go some things because it was a gift).
8) Take your time - it doesn't need to be all organized in one day
9) Once organized, you could stamp them into a sketch book so you can flip through that instead of hunting through the box (this may take more time and trouble than it's worth - really up to you)

WHEW! Congrats if you made it through that and GOOD LUCK with organizing

P.S. I keep the ones I love and go to a lot in a separate container within easy reach and view.

Last edited by chococat; 02-03-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added p.s. and sentence