Rubber Stamp Chat

Rubber Stamp Chat (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/index.php)
-   Tips and Tutorials (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Embossing plates (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=5888)

Don 08-27-2014 01:47 PM

Embossing plates

My embossing/cutting plate for my Cuttlebug were looking mighty gruesome. I couldn't find one so I took my ugly plates to Tap Plastics. They have stores in WA,OR,& CA. I got 2 B plates for $1.35 incl. tax. The edges and corners weren't rounded ($4 extra) but the machine doesn't care so I don't either.
I would guess most larger cities would have a plastics fabrication shop, it's worth a Google.

Elayne 08-27-2014 04:42 PM

Thanks for the tip, I have a plastics place close to me, I'll remember that.
Mine looked as tho they were going to crack next pass thru so I just bought two more.

alsmouse 08-28-2014 07:39 AM

I've been using Tap Plastics for years now for my replacements. When I first started going there, they had a crafter working there. When she cut my plates, she told me to use poly carbonate for them. She was right, they may curve more over time but they haven't cracked yet.
Something I did was to have multiple copies of various thicknesses made so I can use them as shims. I still have to occasionally use CS or cereal cardboard as shims, but they do give a firmer surface to work with. HTH
~C8>

Don 08-28-2014 10:10 AM

I broke one of the Tap plates. I think I have figured it out to use the Tap (B) plate on top of the A plate and my CBug B plate on the top, especially when embossing the die cuts.

TheAfricanQueen 08-30-2014 11:01 AM

All good info. TFS!

Daniel R. 08-30-2014 11:48 AM

TFS, Don! My original plates have been heavily abused, but (knock wood) remain intact.

A friend shared that she has mended her plates with duct tape with successful results.

Don 08-31-2014 06:36 PM

Tape adds a shim factor, so you may want to tape the whole plate so the die cuts evenly.

angel97701 10-11-2014 09:42 PM

Great idea Don. I am having a hard time finding a replacement for my Grand Calibur. I've worn out three plates and my dies don't cut as well. I also like the idea of having several thicknesses for my cuttlebug. I will have to see if there is a plastics place here in Bend.

UpsideDown 10-12-2014 12:18 PM

I've just put my SideKick plates on my list for sales. Sizzix goes on sale fairly often. I figure if I play the sale + free/low shipping game I can tolerate the cost of replacements. I've also discovered that some vendors target my wish list, offering me deals based on these items. So it's a good idea to sign-up for newsletters or emails (assuming you can tolerate the extra in your in-box). We've got a TAP Plastics here but I'm pretty house bound. This might be a good alternative for some.

TheAfricanQueen 10-16-2014 11:48 PM

UpsideDown - do you have friends that craft? Perhaps they needs plates too and if you all went in together, perhaps they could deliver you yours?