How To Bring The Sticky Back (Acrylic Stamps) [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : How To Bring The Sticky Back (Acrylic Stamps)

queenkatdesigns
09-12-2007, 06:15 PM
After much trial and error with different ideas on how to re-vitalize acrylic stampsÖ I Found something that seems to work! Itís a very interesting solution and I wanted to share with you all..You know that mentolated stuff they sell for vaporizers when you are sick? WelllÖ get some! it can save your stamps!

What to doÖ

1. take packing tape and apply it to the BACK of the stamp. Making sure itís stuck to the stamp and covers the entire surface. Use more than one piece if needed.

2. Leave it for an hour or so on the tape

3. Peel tape off (This will lift off any residue that may be on the back of the stamp. more times than not it will appear to be white-ish. this is from handeling and from the storage method).

4. take the mentho liquid and rub it into the back of the stamp (front too if you like your stamps to be sticky on both sides, like me)

5. rinse under hot water and AIR dry. Do not blot dry or towel dry. there may be oils on the towel that may get on the stamp and youíll be right back where you started.

why do acrylics lose their stick?
there are a couple of reasonsÖ1. they are stored on the packing material they came in.
Transparencies are coated with a solution to help them feed through a printer or copier. After time the coating comes off and leaves a residue on your stamp. (Have you ever seen old stamps in stores that have yellowed and are loose in the packing? Thatís why!)

Solution: Store in a CD case or transfer to another form of storage that is not a transparency.

2. Use! Plain and simple, you use them, theyíll loose their stick eventually. Some faster than others and some not so fast. Just depends on conditions.

Solution: Clean your stamps with proper cleaner, NEVER use plain old dish or hand soap. These soaps have moisturizer and lanolin in them. Once these oils get on your stamp, itís going to loose itís Stick.

Store in a protected area so dust can not build up on them. Once a stamp is dusty, it may as well be thrown away. Itís hard to clean all the dust off and usually, you wonít get it all off and you will have dust particles or spots in your images.

ALWAYS clean your Acrylic Blocks!!!! This can not be stressed enough. NEVER clean with regular soap and water. Always use the SAME cleaner you use to clean your stamps with! This will condition your blocks as well as your stamps. And it helps to reduce ink stain on your blocks.

Well, I hope you have found my experiments useful. Iíve been looking and searching for the answer and by gollie, I think Iíve found it!

PS this works better than alcohol wipes! AND for peteís sake, NEVER EVER CLEAN YOUR ACRYLIC STAMPS WITH BABY WIPES!!!! For the same reason as not to use hand soap! The moisturizers will get all over them.

I just thought I'd share. This is a blog I recently wrote. :)

stampin stacy
09-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Wow Vicki, thanks.

Mom alway said Mentholatum was a cure all, guess she was right:D .

Inky Whiskers
09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Great info, Vicki, THANKS!

I have lots of experience caring for rubber, but only a smidge with polymer, so learning how to care for them is great. I did recently discover that rubber & polymer have some major differences in how to clean them & that solvent cleaners are a no-no for polymer.

So many details to remember, it's a wonder we have time to creat anything! :lol:

queenkatdesigns
09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
You are most welcome you guys! I've been stamping for a long time.. and when clear stamps came out I was like?????? what am I going to do with these things????? but I'm totally in love now! and I actually have been selling off my rubber stamps with the exception of my Pink Cat Studio stamps and my Cat's Pajamas stamps. they are too cute to get rid of. :)

andreasscraps
09-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Awesome info Vicki! Thanks so much for sharing!

patkatzer
09-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi vicki,

I assume that you are talking about the clear polymer stamps. Will this still work on rubber stamps with the E-Z Mount Cling cushion?

Patkatzer

queenkatdesigns
09-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi vicki,

I assume that you are talking about the clear polymer stamps. Will this still work on rubber stamps with the E-Z Mount Cling cushion?

Patkatzer

Yeah.. It's for clear stamps. :) No it will not work with EZ Mount... That foam should never loose it's stick.. If it does, just unmount your stamp and re-mount. :)

Etha
09-16-2007, 07:41 AM
this is funny, I guess I have to take this tip backwards then as I have the problem that my acrylics get TOO sticky, sticky to the point that when I stamp on glossy paper for instance and take off the stamp it takes part of the paper with it ;) I suspect it might be the altitude I live in and that we have very dry air here. If I clean them with anything with water, even just plain water it makes them eve stickier! They will stick to my hands and are hard to take off!! quite ridiculous I know.

queenkatdesigns
09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
where do you live and what brand stamps are you using?

alsmouse
09-19-2007, 04:15 AM
QUOTE=Etha;4756]this is funny, I guess I have to take this tip backwards then as I have the problem that my acrylics get TOO sticky, sticky to the point that when I stamp on glossy paper for instance and take off the stamp it takes part of the paper with it ;) I suspect it might be the altitude I live in and that we have very dry air here. If I clean them with anything with water, even just plain water it makes them eve stickier! They will stick to my hands and are hard to take off!! quite ridiculous I know.[/QUOTE]

Would the stickyness be affected by Etha living in a High Desert area? or if there is hard or soft water? maybe distilled water would make a difference.

queenkatdesigns
09-20-2007, 03:32 PM
QUOTE=Etha;4756]this is funny, I guess I have to take this tip backwards then as I have the problem that my acrylics get TOO sticky, sticky to the point that when I stamp on glossy paper for instance and take off the stamp it takes part of the paper with it ;) I suspect it might be the altitude I live in and that we have very dry air here. If I clean them with anything with water, even just plain water it makes them eve stickier! They will stick to my hands and are hard to take off!! quite ridiculous I know.

Would the stickyness be affected by Etha living in a High Desert area? or if there is hard or soft water? maybe distilled water would make a difference. [/QUOTE]

no, the altitude shouldn't affect stamps. I am in utah and that's considered high desert.. I make them.. There could be a couple reasons for sticky stamps.. for instance, the different kinds of polymer.. Manufacturers use different polymers to make stamps.. there are some that are more sticky and some that are less. The more sticky ones should lose that "extra" stick after being inked and stamped off a handful of times. Usually these stamps will not lose their stick on the back as fast as the others that are not as sticky.

All new acrylic stamps need to be "seasoned" this means you need to take them and ink and stamp them off onto scrap paper about 4-5 times. and clean with polymer cleaner (it's just like stamp cleaner only it has an additive to contition your acrylic stamps).. Seasoning does two things.. It can take that extra sticky off and it helps the polymer accept ink so you don't get that "balled" up look on your stamped image. If your in the market for inks, I highly recommend CTMH (Close To My Heart) ink pads they are formulated for acrylic stamps. I use only CTMH inks for my dye ink pads.

HTH

Stampo
09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Have you tried baby powder?