Quilted Card lessons [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Quilted Card lessons

stampin stacy
05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I will be walking you thru making a quilted card and paper buttons for the "quilt", step by step. To follow along you will need:

small square background stamp -preferable with a repeat pattern but not required
ink pad that is multi-colored
tracing wheel, distressing wheel or needle for stitching
Small circle punch or Spellbinder die
Embossing folder - optional but sure adds to the "fabric texture" effect
Needle or other item to make buttonholes with
Gel medium, decoupage glue or other to give shine appearance to your button
foam dots/tape
cardstock for base and matting
adhesive

Now for a preview:

stay tuned for the next lesson

inkkyjo
05-12-2011, 10:19 AM
stacy..can i tell you what i use instead of adhesive, it may help lots...

TheAfricanQueen
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Ohhhhhhh nooooooo. Jo, tell us you don't use snot as glue....:)) :)) :))

alsmouse
05-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Ohhhhhhh nooooooo. Jo, tell us you don't use snot as glue....:)) :)) :))

Are you implying that Jo is a snotty nosed brat????:))

~C8>

TheAfricanQueen
05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Noooo....I was implying that she may use alternative and readily available methods for gluing. :D

inkkyjo
05-12-2011, 11:58 AM
lol..lol..no..i wish i was a snotty nose brat..i would have the money to do the stuff i want..lol..lol..what i use for adhesive is 4 inch x 6 inch shipping labels..all you have to do is lay your cut cs on it and emboss or cut as you wish..and dont have to worry about spreading or laying down glue tapes
PS..I was asking her because i didn't want to post anything on her thread..cause it was her teaching thread..it wasn't my post..i was being polite..

alsmouse
05-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Stacy, Thanks for sharing this tut. I really like the card you have posted so far & will be tagging this posting to reference to.
~C8>

TheAfricanQueen
05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
lol..lol..no..i wish i was a snotty nose brat..i would have the money to do the stuff i want..lol..lol..what i use for adhesive is 4 inch x 6 inch shipping labels..all you have to do is lay your cut cs on it and emboss or cut as you wish..and dont have to worry about spreading or laying down glue tapes
PS..I was asking her because i didn't want to post anything on her thread..cause it was her teaching thread..it wasn't my post..i was being polite..

Guess we made up for you, eh? LOL

TheAfricanQueen
05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm looking forward to making paper buttons. That sounds very interesting and intriguing.

stampin stacy
05-12-2011, 04:52 PM
You need to determine how many rows across and down you want to stamp and then multiply your stamp dimensions by that number. Cut white cardstock slighly larger than those dimensions. For example, if I want a 4 x 4 grid and are using a 1 inch square stamp then your CS needs to be larger than 4 inches square.

Btw, type of paper/ CS you use is up to your discretion. I always encourage stampers to make a project their own. Keep in mind the use of snot will add green to your project and may clash with some colors. :p

don't forget to deduct matting from your total measurements

Inky Whiskers
05-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Keep in mind the use of snot will add green to your project and may clash with some colors. :p

:eek: Thanks for the lovely imagery, Stacy! Have you considered writing for Hallmark with that talent? :))

TheAfricanQueen
05-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Then you may want to opt for the yellow, yellowish green or even the clear snot. So many options...

inkkyjo
05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
hey stacy..how do you make paper buttons ???..they are pretty
and what stamp is that..i like it a lot

stampin stacy
05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry no peeking and getting ahead :D

Ya just gonna have to wait.....

besides I need to make some more and take pics as I go, lol....

inkkyjo
05-12-2011, 08:58 PM
ok..thanks buddy..i cant wait

alsmouse
05-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Then you may want to opt for the yellow, yellowish green or even the clear snot. So many options...

All with amazing bonding power.:D
~C8>

TheAfricanQueen
05-12-2011, 10:05 PM
We want buttons...we want buttons...we want buttons...:D

stampin stacy
05-13-2011, 09:30 AM
You are now ready to stamp your “quilt”. Here are some things to keep in mind:

You can use an ink pad that is all one color but using a multi-color pad will give you a much more visually appealing result. Rotate the ink pad when inking up and/or stamping for variety and visual interest. It will look like you took the same fabric in different colors and pieced it together like a real quilter would do.

Re-ink before each stamping. This is the reason I do not suggest you use several different ink pads to ink up your stamp with. You can do that, rules are meant to be broken and as I’ve said before do what works for you but keep in mind: it will take longer, can get tedious and if you don’t clean before each stamping then you could contaminate your ink pads.

If you are using a wood mounted stamp, you will need to use a stamp positioner to line up your images evenly. If you are using a closely trimmed unmounted stamp then you can eyeball it. Just make sure your have adequate lighting. Stamp the image as evenly and as closely together as you can. Don’t worry if the corners do not line up perfectly though, they will be covered up by buttons. You just don’t want it too crooked and uneven

alsmouse
05-13-2011, 10:09 AM
The 2 bottom ones aren't crooked:D, they are blowing in the wind. LOL
~C8>

TheAfricanQueen
05-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Alsmouse! :)) :)) :))

I was thinking if you don't reink your stamp then you could end up with something looking distressed or even retro and that might be kind of cool. :wave:

Inky Whiskers
05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't think the bottom 2 are crooked either, I'd say they're whimsical. :D

TheAfricanQueen
05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
You could always cut them out and then glue them to graph paper. And if you have Word for Windows 7, you can download the graph paper at no charge. Plus you get three different sized graphs.

stampin stacy
05-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Once you have completed the stamping and it has dried completely you need to emboss your piece. Use an embossing folder with a smallish all over pattern. I used Cuttlebug’s Textile folder. You will be running it thru more than once so it breaks down the fibers of the paper and gives your creation a softer more fabric like feel/appearance. Run it thru the first time so that you end up with a debossesd-pushed down result, then flip it over and run it thru again embossing-raised result this time. Most of the debossing the first time will be gone but not necessarily all. This step gives your piece the quilted/stippled appearance of a real quilt.

vrstmpink
05-14-2011, 06:45 AM
I've just read thru your step by step quilting card tut.
I'll definitely be following along. This looks like such Fun :clap:
Thanks much for sharing, Stacy :)
Now to go pick out a stamp & ink pad ;)
VickiR

Spideycindy
05-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Awesome Stacy! I'm loving your tutorial! If you did not have smallish stamps could you edit to the size desired and stamp over the "open masked window" or is the design part of the stamp repeat as you illustrate?
Sorry if I confused and as for snot.....ewwwww

Spideycindy
05-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I sure wish free motion quilting was as easy as running a folder thru twice!:eek: My first attempts at it was really awful!;)
I'll post a pic in my photo album for you to see the quilt.

stampin stacy
05-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Vicki, glad you've decided to play along.

Cindy, I don't see why a partial stamping with a mask wouldn't work. Give it a try and see how it comes out.

I hope everyone uploads what they've done here once the tutorial is over. Has this given ya'll the feeling of being in a pre-convention stamp class? ;)

stampin stacy
05-14-2011, 10:01 AM
and without having to pay for it :D

vrstmpink
05-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Our LSS used to have free Make & Takes, and that's what this reminds me of.
It's so fun to have a project planned out step by step, follow along, and watch it all come together.

I've got my piece all stamped & Cuttlebug embossed :clap: :clap:

Ready for the next step :D
Vicki

vrstmpink
05-14-2011, 12:58 PM
It's me again :noway:
Here's what I have so far...
I used a 1 1/4" stamp fro Stubby Stampers.
I did add just a touch of colored pencils.

I hope the 'stitching' technique will show up okay, as my stamp is already lotsa dotties.

I love your little 1 1/4" stamp, Stacy. What company makes it?

stampin stacy
05-14-2011, 01:39 PM
The smaller one done in the earth tones is from Stamp La Jolla and the larger one done in blues is from Lasting Impressions W/Panache.

Your card looks great and your "stippling came out great!

vrstmpink
05-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the stamp credits, Stacy.
You know, I don't think I have any Stamp la Jolla -- but I just checked their site, and they have a whole category of COOL 'sewing/quilting' theme images that would work with this idea :cool:

TheAfricanQueen
05-15-2011, 12:22 AM
I like what you've accomplished Vrstmpink. Great work! :D

stampin stacy
05-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Yep and I have most of them.

Well gang the lesson will have to be suspended temporarily. The computer with all my notes & pics is ill. Dang DH, sorry folks

stampin stacy
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm back up and going so, on with the next "step" in our Quilted Cards:

The stitching shows up better if the holes poke up on the front side, so you will be working from the back side of you piece for this next step. To figure out where to place your “stitching” since you are working from the back you can: use math and measure or use a light box, window or other light source and make light pencil marks on the back of your “quilt” for alignment. Your rows of stitching can be placed either between the stamped rows or at the ends of each image. The latter would result in 2 rows of “stitching” close together and is a nice effect but the other works also. Place your piece on some padding such as a mouse pad or dense foam and then take a ruler and a wheel and run it down and across each row of stamping. Experiment and find what you like on scrap paper ahead of time.

You can also apply ink to the holes on the front side to make them show up better but do so carefully and with a very light touch. You do not want to get ink elsewhere. I used my finger so I could feel and control the application of ink on the “stitching”. Besides it’s a good excuse to get inky!

wolfeyesone
05-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Beautiful job on your card, & really like the colors you chose

TFS this tut Stacey, It's well written & great photos...
Can't wait to try it out..
I still need to invest into an embossing machine, there's alway good 'ol hand embossing but a machine would be so much quicker...

Nice job on yours also Vicki

inkkyjo
05-19-2011, 07:38 PM
ohhh wolf..i wish i knew that..there was a yard sale at my local stamp store and 1 of my friends sold one of their big shots for 25.00 dollars..plates and all..i love your new quilt ideas there stacy..you have all the good tools..nice

TheAfricanQueen
05-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Fiskars sells something called a texturing tool to use with their texturing plates. Basically the same idea but more manual and less costly.

When I was at the Heirlooms Production event this past weekend, one of the vendors said she uses a rolling pin with her embossing folders. It's not as deep, but it gives a decent image.

Inky Whiskers
05-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Wear ear plugs if you opt for the texturing tool! It's basically 3 ball ends in a handle that you rub across the back of the paper while it's taped to the texture plate. It works with both Fiskars & Sizzix plates & is faster than the 'old' method of using a stylus with a ball on the end to dry emboss. BUT, using it sounds like you're dragging a wooden spoon back & forth across an old wash board! DH asked me to not use it while we watch TV as he couldn't hear the show. :lol:

For quiet & efficient dry embossing you have 2 basic options:

1) The Sizzix Embossing Boutique machine. It's just for dry embossing with folders, NOT any kind of dies or plates (that's what the directions say), & costs about $30, tho' you can find deals for less. It looks like a blue purse.
2) A die cutting machine. There are several brands out there, both manual & electric, that can cost anywhere from $90-$100 for manual to hundreds for the electric models. The advantage of getting a die cutting machine is that you can use dies, not just folders.

All types of both styles can be bought with either a coupon or when then go on sale/clearance to save you some $. Same with the accessories for both types of machines.

There's a thread in Stamp Talk called 'Taking the Plunge' where we've discussed the in/outs of the various machines & what we think of them. :D

Carry on Ms. Stacy! :p