Cray-Pas Technique [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Cray-Pas Technique

TheAfricanQueen
09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
You may remember using Cray-Pas when you were in grade school. They are oil colors in stick form. I picked up a used set of 16 several months ago, but just now got around to using them and had such fun in doing so! Here's the tutorial I found that helped me to get started:

Cray-Pas Product Video (http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/OilPastel-Drawing)

The two pics are the set of Cray-Pas that I have. The next pic is a line drawn stamp of a mountain scene. I stamped the image in SU's Hunter Green Classic dye as I didn't want too stark of an image.

The fourth pic is how I used the Cray-Pas to color in the stamped image. After coloring it in, I sealed it by using Royal Coat Decoupage Hi-Gloss Finish which gave it a rather nice oil painting look (make certain you are in a well ventilated area when applying this).

Deb Lovett
09-10-2010, 06:26 AM
A very peaceful scene -- I'd like to go camping there.

Thanks for teaching us a new technique, AQ. It looks like fun and looks like you drew it yourself.

strvingartistmp
09-10-2010, 08:41 AM
neat idea!

TheAfricanQueen
09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
A very peaceful scene -- I'd like to go camping there.

Thanks for teaching us a new technique, AQ. It looks like fun and looks like you drew it yourself.

It is fun because you can use colors over others and the white one works great for blending as shown in the tut.

I hope you will try it out and post your work here!

Spideycindy
09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I havn't played with those since Jr. High School Art Classes! Wow wonderful job and yes it looks like you sketched it.
I think we called them oil pastels but could be wrong. I did not recognize the title Sakura gave them.
Did it take a long time drying? Did the oil bleed through the back of your cardstock? Just wondering. Thanks for sharing.

TheAfricanQueen
09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I havn't played with those since Jr. High School Art Classes! Wow wonderful job and yes it looks like you sketched it.
I think we called them oil pastels but could be wrong. I did not recognize the title Sakura gave them.
Did it take a long time drying? Did the oil bleed through the back of your cardstock? Just wondering. Thanks for sharing.

They didn't seem to dry enough for my liking, so I sprayed them with the finish (last pic).

I used 80 pound CS and did not notice any 'bleed through'. HTH

wolfeyesone
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I know I have a few of those around somewhere.. I'll have to search them out to play... I really like how yours came out. TFS

TheAfricanQueen
09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Thank you all for the compliments. I do hope you will play and show your stuff here!