Paper choices [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Paper choices

LorraineB
11-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I have just purchased quite a few stamps to do scenic stamping. I'm wondering what the best type of paper for this would be. I have watercolor paper, glossy, cardstock and also paper which is recommended for copics. Thanks. Lorraine

fab
11-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I think you should be guided by your coloring method. Scenic will work on any paper. If you plan to brayer a background I like glossy. If you want to color your scene with watercolors or water color pencils, then use the watercolor paper. If you plan to use the copics, then use cardstock that copics like.

Just be sure that if you are coloring after the stamping is done, be sure to use a stamping ink that will not run with your color medium.

inkkyjo
11-28-2009, 05:41 PM
all the papers you have will work out just fine...the only thing hard about scenic stamping is the composition of the whole picture...and the #2 hardest is the coloring...starting out on all the papers you have , you will be able to pick what you like to work with the best...just color and color and keep coloring until you are happy with the outcome....remember...your the artist on that piece...so it can be any way you want it to look...have fun..cant wait to see some of it..inkkyjo

LorraineB
11-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Thank you both. Good advice and encouragement.

fab
11-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, between the two of us you got enough to keep you busy for a while.

stampin stacy
11-29-2009, 06:55 AM
You have gotten excellent advice. It really is about coloring method not "scenic".

I got a package of cougar smooth finish standard card stock from Marcos Papers during a convention that is a great all around paper. I tend to mix it up a bit when I color in scenes so it works great for me. I will often start with chalk pastels for larger areas like the sky and then move on to pencils for more detailed coloring. Since I love water coloring I often put a bit of Twinkling H2O's or other water coloring in a scene using this paper, trick here is to have a light hand with the water so your piece doesn't warp too much. Just place under a heavy book once completely dry if it does warp some to flatten it back out.

fab
11-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Then what is your prefered ink? You must be using either a water resistant one or embossing.

LorraineB
11-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for mentioning the Marcos website. I had not heard of it. He has so much stuff!!

stampin stacy
11-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Any waterproof dye ink will do and there are so many out there to play with. Don't limit yourself to just black. Depending on the stamps you are using other colors work sometimes better than black. Check out the Beeswax gallery here or at Amy's website for examples. I've even used grey some, it tends to disappear once your piece is finished but it also gets hard to find those lines while coloring in. So be careful you don't color over and lose part of an image or it's detail.

Lorraine, your welcome! Marcos travels the convention circuit all year, so be sure to check out vendor listings if one is coming to your area next year so you can see some of their product in person.

fab
11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
They used to come to the west coast shows too but they stopped a few years ago saying the shipping and travel costs were becoming onerous. I'm sure it has only gotten worse.

piecesandpom
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree with all the advice here. It is key to decide what your main coloring technique will be in order to choose your ink and paper. And Stacy's thoughts on not using just black ink for the image is terrific. It's amazing what happens if you use another color for your stamps. . .

fab
11-30-2009, 11:59 AM
I have tried using sepia with some stamps, especially with cream or off white card stock and I really like the results.

LorraineB
11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Unless I'm just not aware of it, we don't seem to have too many shows in NY. I'm in the suburbs about 60 miles east of NY City.

fab
11-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Then you just will have to content yourself with the on-line versions.

inkkyjo
11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
we never have shows here where i live either..i have learned everything i know about stamping from the technique junkies newletter and Vamp Stamp News magazine...both are mailed out every month..please try both of those..you will love them...inkkyjo

LorraineB
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I recently subscribed to Vamp Stamp and Rubber Stamp Madness and ordered some back issues. I also read the blogs and their tutorials. There really is a lot of information on line. Thanks for the information.

fab
11-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes, when I started stamping (at least 40 years ago) there was no blogging, no magazines, no on-line vendors or stamp shops. I carved up some erasers. There was little available in the way of art stamps or stamping inks. I used office supply stamp pads and carved erasers and it was still fun. I started out making holiday gift wrap with the kids.

piecesandpom
12-03-2009, 12:53 AM
There is usually a show around Hartford CT in the fall and there is a W. Springfield MA show in June which I'll probably miss this time around 'cause I'll be in Chicago for my nephew's college graduation. Marco's was at the W. Springfield MA show last year and had lots of free giveaways! Several of the RSC vendors go to Springfield so it's fun to meet folks.

I've seen others in NY but they are up north, often way up north and west. The convention schedules are out in several of the magazines now but may not have the entire year's dates out yet. Tracy from StarvingArtistamps is out on Long Island and is really good about announcing NJ/NY/CT shows here on RSC.