Homemade Alcohol Ink [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Homemade Alcohol Ink

glossie
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I love Rangers colors but once in awhile I crave off the wall colors and am trying to create my own alcohol inks using 91% alcohol and liquid Rit dye. It never seems to mix completely so I end up with more of a tint rather than a color. Has anyone had an lucky in this arena ?????

alsmouse
09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Have you looked into using silk dyes or artistic dyes? Rit is usually a H2O base & the others may have a different base to mix better. You might also consider some of the other versions of fabric dyes that are designed for the textile artist. HTH ~C8>

glossie
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Great ideas! Thanks for your help!

Inky Whiskers
09-10-2009, 02:38 PM
When I want to play with alcohol inks (usually for doing the polished stone technique) I use regular dye ink refils & a small spritz bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol. The 2 may blend well in a bottle, but I haven't tried it to know for sure.

I place drops of the various inks on a piece of felt & spritz the alcohol over it. I may also spritz the glossy cardstock with the alcohol, before I add the inks or after, depending on how defused I want the pattern to be. Spritzing after I apply the inks to the cardstock can result in a fine stippled pattern that looks more like granite than marble. :D

glossie
09-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Another great idea! That is what is sooooo great about this website. The wealth of ideas is never ending. There is so much imagination here.