Make your own glimmer mist [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Make your own glimmer mist

piecesandpom
08-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I make my own glimmer mist. It's easy with a small spray bottle, inexpensive hairspray and mica powders. Pearl Ex and Perfect Pearls are mica powders.

I put about an inch and a half of hairspray in a 2 oz. spray bottle, add mica powder - about a 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoonful (a little goes a long way) - put the sprayer back on and shake. I now have my own custom glimmer spray, usually silver, copper or gold but any mica powder will work. This is what I used for the Aug RSC Florishes Sketch challenge. Ranger's mini mister's should work for if you only need a little. The 2 oz bottle, if full, will cover about 3 pieces of 8 1/2 X 11 paper if that's your preference.

I had some copper spray that sat in the bottle for about a year and the spray mechanism got clogged. A little warm water, a tiny bit of liquid detergent and shaking and rinsing unclogged the sprayer and I could make up my gold batch. I was happy about that since this particular spray bottle comes out as a fine mist. You do need to figure out what effect you want, droplets versus misty spray, and which spraying technique works best for your project.

I think the Moon Glow products and others add touches of alcohol ink to their mix to enhance their offerings of glitzy sprays. I haven't done this yet but it certainly opens doors and windows to lots of additional options.

Theresagram
08-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Hair spray? Wow, never would have thought of that. I know people who make their own GM, but they don't use hair spray...can't remember what they use though.

Deb Lovett
08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for sharing this tutorial, Karen. Can you post your card here in the tutorial so we can see?
Great tip about the warm water and little bit of detergent if the spray nozzle gets clogged.

Jeanette
08-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Thank you Karen. It sounds pretty easy to make. I love the effect of the GM.

Jeanette

piecesandpom
08-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Deb, you can see it on the glimmer misted nesties in the Aug Sketch Challenge. You'll notice that I'm not worried about perfection; didn't get all corners of all the die cuts. :lol:

I just put the die cut on wax paper and sprayed. I'm sure a craft mat or parchment paper would have worked to ensure the hairspray didn't adhere the paper to the mat.

Cheap hairspray is an alternative to the fixatives for pastels, chalks, etc. This is what we used in my high school days and was reinforced by my SUp demo a couple of years ago.

Deb Lovett
08-22-2009, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=piecesandpom;56844]Deb, you can see it on the glimmer misted nesties in the Aug Sketch Challenge. You'll notice that I'm not worried about perfection; didn't get all corners of all the die cuts. :lol:

Yes, Karen, I originally saw your card there and it is lovely. I am thinking it would be nice to post your sample here so in the future when people see this tutorial, your card is right here too. Just a thought...