Removing glue from unmounted stamps? [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Removing glue from unmounted stamps?

TheAfricanQueen
06-06-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm in the process of unmounting my stamps. Some of my rubber dies have residual glue on the back. What's the safest way to remove it?

Inky Whiskers
06-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I use my thumbs. I just rub the adhesive, which causes it to pill up & come off pretty easily. Kind of like playing with rubber cement on a table top. :D

TheAfricanQueen
06-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Thank you, Inky! I will try that.

Stampo
06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
There's also GooGone...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-likes-the-food-court.jpg

TheAfricanQueen
06-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I tried rubbing it off, but that is rather labor intensive. I think I'll try GooGone. Thanks Stampo!

cmcveigh
06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
If you have a disposable foam paint brush (about 2" wide) on hand, use that to apply the GooGone, and just let the rubber set out and soak in the GG for a while. If you have the right type of GG, it will not damage your rubber. Don't bother with the spray gel as it sprays everywhere else in addition to where you want it.

Suggested product: http://tinyurl.com/n6eafo

Even with the GG, you're still going to have to rub - and it will be a sticky, yucky mess. Try using an old credit card to scrape as much off as you can into an empty coffee can, then wipe off the rest with a nylon scouring pad. Plan on disposing of that when finished.

Finally, clean the rubber with a 50:50 mix of water and SimpleGreen, and pat dry.

And "that's ALL THERE IS to it!!":laugh::)):))

Stampo
06-06-2009, 03:26 PM
OTOH, I love the gel and use it exclusively now... each to his own. LOL

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cats-see-strange-dot.jpg

alsmouse
06-06-2009, 03:35 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-likes-the-food-court.jpg

Hey!! Those are Tucker's & Dazi's relatives in that there snack bar. Not a nice photo. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: ~C8>

cmcveigh
06-06-2009, 03:38 PM
OTOH, I love the gel and use it exclusively now... each to his own. LOL

It could well be that they've improved the spray by making it a gel. I bought the early-on spray, and it was quite liquid-y and was quite a pain to discover things in the surrounding area got sprayed that I didn't want sprayed. Sounds like the gel would be thicker.

I put my GG in an old pump bottle and depress the pump right onto my foam sponge. So it goes only where it's s'posed to, and the brush offers control for specific areas.

Yup..... whatever works, as they say.

Stampo
06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Okay, I think you were talking about the spray GooGone and yes the spray on that sucks... however, the new spray gel goes right where you want it.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/doo-u-mind.jpg

TheAfricanQueen
06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Thnx for all the tips!

cmcveigh
06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Okay, I think you were talking about the spray GooGone and yes the spray on that sucks... however, the new spray gel goes right where you want it.

When I run out of this batch, I'll have to give the new gel spray a try.

Two more tips using GG: I poured the remainder of my quart bottle into a wide-mouth glass jar filled with floral marbles. When my scissors get gunked up, I just stick them into the marbles and let them soak in the jar. After a while, I just take 'em out and wipe them clean with a paper towel.

The other thing is that the foam paint brush with a drop of GG on it can be wiped up and down both sides of your scissors while cutting out foam cushion, and the foam-cushion of the paint brush serves as an abrasive, which helps get the gunk off better.

TheAfricanQueen
06-06-2009, 07:45 PM
thnx cm! now I just need to get my hands on some GG!

Stampo
06-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I used to wipe the GooGone off my scissors with a kleenex to get the adhesive off... now I just squirt a small bit of gel and leave it right on the scissors... no rubbing to get off the adhesive. I had some of that double sided foam tape in a drawer holding a cutlery tray in and couldn't get it up so just squirted on GooGone and let it sit for a few hours and it lifted right up... I love the stuff (I know, I know... then why don't I marry it?)

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/i-ar-hiding.jpg

cmcveigh
06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
... I love the stuff (I know, I know... then why don't I marry it?)

I dunno, Stampo, you're gonna have to fight me for that honor..... love the stuff, too!! Recommend it every chance I get - now, if only I were a stockholder in the company, eh?? (I'm part Canadian, so I can say that, eh?).

Stampo
06-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I dunno... I've had to really practice to stop saying "eh" and never have learned how to say "out" the American way. LOL

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-drank-holy-water.jpg

stitchinwitch
06-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm cheap so I would just leave them in hot water for a while and then rub the glue off

stampin stacy
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I have a bottle of the original with the sprayer and have wondered what the "big deal" was, I wasn't that impressed with it. Now I know I have the wrong kind.

Cheryl, I like your idea of putting it in a jar and then weighting it down with glass marbles. I love all the things you learn and the tips that are shared here, RSC rocks!!

Inky Whiskers
06-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey!! Those are Tucker's & Dazi's relatives in that there snack bar. Not a nice photo. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: ~C8>

Don't cry Ms. Mouse! Notice that the case is all locked up tight to keep hungry kitties OUT. Sealed containers of small critters fall under the catagory of 'cat tv' not cat snacks. :D

Inky Whiskers
06-07-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm cheap so I would just leave them in hot water for a while and then rub the glue off

I don't even bother with the hot water! :lol: While I usually use my thumbs & rub away while watching TV, I have used a Pampered Chef teflon pot scrubber (they're, square & brown with some of the corners rounded) when my thumb need a break. I did use UnDu when I was unmounting a gazillion stamps & the adhesive on a few didn't want to let go, but the majority of the stamps just peeled off with a little picking around the edges until I found the 'loose' spot.

I do leave anything mounted with the red foam on wood alone. The adhesive used with that foam (rubber cement?) is so strong that to remove the rubber either peels the foam (leaving a layer of foam on the rubber that doesn't come off easily) or one risks ruining the rubber (by stretching) long before it can be removed from the foam. UnDu doesn't work, I tried. Meer Images & ABC Wizard both mount their stamps this way & they do such a beautiful job of it with the way they index the wood & trim everything that I leave them as is.

catiekk
06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I've also found that I can rub off the excess adhesive using an adhesive eraser & save my thumb. The other thing that works is an electric eraser (used for drafting); works great and again saves that thumb! :)

catiekk

TheAfricanQueen
06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
What's an adhesive eraser?

catiekk
06-09-2009, 03:31 PM
A quick google search brought up lots of links; here is one that shows a picture:

http://www.scrap-masters.com/adhesive-eraser--p-11670.html

ck

TheAfricanQueen
06-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Sounds less messy than Goo Gone. I wonder if a regular eraser will work...

Susanlhl
06-09-2009, 08:14 PM
The advantage of having an adhesive eraser is that you can use it (carefully - use a rolling action rather than a rubbing one and lift off the adhesive) on photos and cardstock.

How did you go using the ordinary eraser on the stamps, Roberta?

TheAfricanQueen
06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Well, it's gonna take some work using a regular eraser. I might just leave them the way they are as I have two sets of acrylic blocks. One set of blocks I'll dedicate to the red and gray rubber dies and the other set I'll devote to my acrylic stamps.

Even though an adhesive eraser is relatively inexpensive, I just don't have it to spend. So, I'll make due with what I have until I'm able to buy the adhesive eraser. I'm thinking I'm just making more work for myself than what is necessary by trying to remove the existing adhesive.

I do appreciate all the help and the advice, too.

Inky Whiskers
06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
If the adhesive is in a fairly thin & even layer, go ahead & stick it to the ez mount or whatever temporary mounting system you're changing over to. It shouldn't effect how the image stamps. If there are chunks of glue or foam in uneven patches on the rubber, you will want to clean those areas as they will affect how your image stamps. :D

Tinnalee
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I would love to change over from wood blocks to EZ mount on all my stamps, but I have THOUSANDS of wood-block stamps (mostly Stampin' Up). I figure I would spend HUNDREDS of dollars in EZ mount to convert everything. How many stamps are y'all converting?

Also, once converted, are you storing them in binders, in VHS boxes, or what?

TheAfricanQueen
06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Inky
I've not had the problem with uneven patches of foam as long as the foam is very flat. My image comes out just fine.

Tinnalee
I'm not going to EZ mount. I use Aleene's Tack & Tack to apply to the back of my stamps that came unmounted. For the ones that I am unmounting myself, and most of them are from Stampin' Up, I'm just leaving the adhesive. When I want to use them, I apply them to an acrylic block.

I've two sets of acrylic blocks. One set is dedicated to acrylic stamps and the other to the UM stamps. I still keep a few mounted stamps only because it would be too difficult to unmount them, particularly my chicken wire stamp, etc.

As far as what I put my UMs in, I use the acrylic CD cases. I can use both the left and right of the inner sides. It works rather well. The other thing that I've done is that I've taken the indexing from the SU stamps and applied it directly to the back of the UM die. Then I apply Aleene's Tack & Tack.

Before I realized I could do this, I had banished a bunch of my blocks to the garbage. C'est la vie!

So the UM without indexing just stay as they are and will go into CD cases.

Inky Whiskers
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a big collection too :)) , but I was running out of room to store all those wood mounted stamps! :lol: I started with the largest stamps, i.e. 4.5x6" backgrounds & other images in that size range. That freed up tons of room right away! When I started running out of room again, I worked my way thru' the med-large stamps to the medium size tho the med-smalls. After a few years I had unmounted most of my non-SU! stamps & I still have room for more and I haven't added any drawers or shelves. I don't unmount any image that's under one inch or is on red foam. (the red foam & the adhesive used with it, is highly resistant to letting go of the rubber & the odds of damaging the stamp are rather high)

I don't unmount my SU! 'cause they have a better resale value if they're mounted with the original indexing even if they've been well loved. This isn't much of an issue for customers, but as a demo I like to reserve the option of selling sets that I know I won't use again when they retire & I'd prefer to get a good price.

I went with HALOS (Hooked And Looped On Stamps) for my ums. I have a set of acrylic blocks with translucent hook tape on one side (I can use the other side for ez mount & clear stamps) & I put loop tape on the back of the rubber dies. I store my stamps in iris drawers by catagory & sub-divide them into zip bags in the drawers. I track everything in 4" D ring binders.

Inky Whiskers
06-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Inky
I've not had the problem with uneven patches of foam as long as the foam is very flat. My image comes out just fine.

Good for you! Not having to remove every speck of old adhesive saves you not only time, but wear & tear on the ol' thumbs. :D

Theresagram
06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
If you use GG, note that it will sometimes curl your stamps but if you mount them on ez mount you can easily flatten them out. Also, make sure you wash every little bit of the GG off before putting them on ez mount, else they won't stick well to the ez mount.

Tinnalee
06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks to Inky Whiskers and The African Queen for responding to my queries. It certainly gives me something to think about.

TheAfricanQueen
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Ideas R Us - get 'em now while the rates are low!

Tinnalee
06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Ideas R Us - get 'em now while the rates are low!

Ha ha ha!!!

TheAfricanQueen
06-12-2009, 12:45 PM
You know, it ain't easy being cheezy! It makes me happy that I could make you laugh!

Stampo
06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Of course, if the cushion is still on the rubber after you pull it off the wood, you can use our THIN static cling cushion instead of the regular size... I've heard that putting the stamp in the microwave for a few seconds helps too with removal... haven't tried it myself.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-comes-with-trial-size.jpg

TheAfricanQueen
06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks Stampo, but I'm just going to leave them as is as I want to get some stamping done!

But hey, Stampo, I've a question for you about your site:

do you carry the stamp that is just the eyes of a woman?

do you carry a stamp of a Border Collie?

Stampo
06-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, we have several border collies. http://www.stampostore.com/index.php?searchStr=collie&_a=viewCat..

http://www.stampostore.com/images/uploads/1888.jpg

Stampo
06-12-2009, 09:02 PM
And we have MANY eyes! http://www.stampostore.com/index.php?searchStr=eyes&_a=viewCat&page=0

http://www.stampostore.com/images/uploaded/9973.jpg

TheAfricanQueen
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
what about the eyes one?

TheAfricanQueen
06-12-2009, 09:25 PM
nope, those are the eyes i'm looking for. the ones i'm looking for are usually on a collage card.

Inky Whiskers
06-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Stampo generally has more than one style available of any image. :lol: Schedule yourself a day to go thru' his online catalog or at least a couple of hours to go thru' the Animals & People sections. You'll find several option for both images you asked about. :D

piecesandpom
06-13-2009, 03:32 PM
A day or two for Stampo's catalog? Try a week! I get totally overwhelmed - sort of like when you're on vacation, only want a few things at the grocery store and find yourself in one of those huge, giant, can't figure the aisles out, stores that seem to go on forever.

I now savor VLS in small, searchable, ladylike bits (intended!) and am enjoying it more. Or is it that I understand what I like in my bits?

Stampo
06-13-2009, 03:39 PM
If you click on the link I provided, all our eyes stamps will come up... the SEARCH box will bring up any subject you're looking for and if we don't have it right now, one of my artists is probably working on it... I'm horribly obsessive and can't stop bringing out new stamps as that's the only creative part for me... when I was stamping in the 80's, I had more stamps in my collection than Stamp Oasis had in their store!

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-narcolepsy-rat.jpg

piecesandpom
06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm thinking you just like rubber and glue smells mixed in with a little bit of Miracle tape sticking to your fingers, Stampo!

Seriously though, for me, I definitely have to use Stampo's search capability otherwise my divergent mind starts to do all sorts of disco ball, strobe light kinds of things and I don't remember where it was I started or where I thought I wanted to end up!

Inky Whiskers
06-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Who needs to leave home for vacation? Just spend a week in front of your computer exploring VivaLasVegaStamps website! :))

Of course, I've heard that visiting the actual store in Las Vegas is even better! :D

Stampo
06-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes, visiting the store is better... you must have taken the virtual tour on my blog. LOL We've done some renovating in the past couple of weeks and I hope to get some new pictures of my lair... finally got rid of all the piles of junk and got new stuff to look at!

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-ear-blanket.jpg

TheAfricanQueen
06-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I did click the links you provided, Stampo but I didn't find what I was looking for. It'll come up one of these days. Besides, I'm not ready to buy anyway.

Stampo
06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
No problem... I just thought you'd missed the link... google rubber stamp eyes maybe?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-does-not-want-to-move.jpg

TheAfricanQueen
06-13-2009, 06:06 PM
i'll try that. thnx!

LorraineB
01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I just saw a video on You Tube using the microwave method for removing the rubber from the wood. Quick and easy. She just leaves whatever residue is left on the stamp without trying to remove it.

TheAfricanQueen
01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I may have to try that. Thank you!

LorraineB
01-10-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=2858&goto=newpost

You're welcome. This is the link to the video.

LorraineB
01-10-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT1n-vxWyRo&feature=PlayList&p=735BEE3CCF962F08&index=15

Don't know what happened with the last link I posted but it didn't post correctly.

Inky Whiskers
01-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I've mounted & unmounted literally 1000's of stamps over the years & found that most wood mounted stamps will just peal off the foam backing with a little picking around the edges to break the bond. Sometimes adhesive gets left behind & I just scrape it off with my nail or roll it off in a sticky ball. Generally, leaving a thin layer of residual adhesive on the rubber when re-mounting it (ez mount, HALOS or other um system) isn't much of an issue. BUT, you don't want to leave any chunks of old mounting foam 'cuz it could mess up how the stamp leaves an impression if there's a lump under the new mounting. Microwaving a wood mounted stamp for 5-10 seconds will liquify the adhesive & allow you to either shift the rubber die to reposition it (Don't ya' just hate it when a stamp is mounted crooked?) or peel it off completely. Doing this doesn't remove the adhesive! The back of the die will be very sticky & you'll need to either re-mount it right away before dust & hair find a new home or wash the adhsive off using really hot water & soap. You can also let the adhesive cool then peel it off using your thumb (kinda like peeling rubber cement off a table) but this is hard on your thumb if you have a lot of stamps to do. Goo Gone will allow you to peel the rubber off the foam too, but you'll need to wash the rubber asap to get the Goo gone off before the solvents in it damage the rubber.

Note: stamps mounted on red foam DO NOT unmount without negative consequences!!!
A different type of adhesive is used instead of what we're used to seeing with gray & black foam. Microwaving doesn't work. Goo Gone doesn't work. Picking the edge until one can peel the rubber off can work if the stamp has been mounted for a long time & the adhesive/foam has dried out, but usually the adhesive is left on the back of the rubber with chunks of red foam attached & it doesn't come off w/o a lot of effort. The biggest concern I've had with red foam is that peeling the rubber die off takes a lot of strength & perseverance and the process can stretch the rubber to the point of ruining the die, forever. So I recommend leaving any stamps mounted to wood using red foam alone. Saving that little bit of storage space or have all your stamps mounted the same way isn't worth ruining a stamp over. :D

StamPoor
01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the red foam. Now do you have a tip on how I can remember that until I'm ready to unmount my stamps? :noway:

Inky Whiskers
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
red = STOP, you can't unmount this stamp!

piecesandpom
01-10-2010, 11:09 PM
You need to be careful with the microwave; I unmounted a wheel stamp that had been very well loved. Unfortunately I 'baked' it in the microwave a bit too long and it is now pretty stiff rubber. The design is still fine so I use it very carefully; it probably needs a glycerin bath and it may come at least half way back but I haven't had the need to recondition other stamps yet. A stamp bath isn't in the cards until I have others to join it.

LorraineB
01-11-2010, 02:40 AM
That's good to know. Thanks.

Fliss
01-11-2010, 06:16 AM
My success rate is 100% (to date), removing stamps from wood using a flat butter knife by squidging it between the wood and the stamp, then gently slide and lift as many times as it takes to release it.<3

Inky Whiskers
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
My success rate is 100% (to date), removing stamps from wood using a flat butter knife by squidging it between the wood and the stamp, then gently slide and lift as many times as it takes to release it.<3

Fliss uses the peel if off method like I do! :lol: She's just smarter than me & uses a tool. I use my finger nails. :D

Fliss
01-12-2010, 05:16 AM
:shock:What strong fingernails you have :lol:

Inky Whiskers
01-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, well there you have it. I can't do much with my face, body or hair, but I can grow long nails that can chip plaster or in this case, peel rubber. :))

Kajikit
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
I just peeled my stamps by hand. There was one REALLY stubborn one that was mounted to a very old block and it was made of purple rubber and I think they used superglue on it! Somebody suggested using a Cricut spatula to gently lever it off and it worked! It took a fair bit of elbow grease but I seperated the stamp from the base without any damage.

BTW I learned the lesson about the red rubber mounts the hard way. I had two really cute stamps and I've pretty much ruined them because I pulled them off and the red foam shredded very unevenly so the poor innocent stamps have chunks of foam on them. :( I didn't realise it was ALL red foam that did that - I'll remember that for the future! And Stampin' Up stamps are really easy to undo. They peel off the wooden block painlessly and you can rub the glue off them with a fingertip with no mess or fuss. Some other stamps (especially Dollar Store stamps) have much more stubborn glue and I've had to leave them sticky.

Theresagram
01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I just peeled my stamps by hand. There was one REALLY stubborn one that was mounted to a very old block and it was made of purple rubber and I think they used superglue on it! Somebody suggested using a Cricut spatula to gently lever it off and it worked! It took a fair bit of elbow grease but I seperated the stamp from the base without any damage.

BTW I learned the lesson about the red rubber mounts the hard way. I had two really cute stamps and I've pretty much ruined them because I pulled them off and the red foam shredded very unevenly so the poor innocent stamps have chunks of foam on them. :( I didn't realise it was ALL red foam that did that - I'll remember that for the future! And Stampin' Up stamps are really easy to undo. They peel off the wooden block painlessly and you can rub the glue off them with a fingertip with no mess or fuss. Some other stamps (especially Dollar Store stamps) have much more stubborn glue and I've had to leave them sticky.

Soaking those red foam backed stamps in GooGone will get it all off!! I've done that too. I hate that red cushion. Anyway, put GG on the back and let it sit for awhile. Then scrap it a little and it comes off pretty easily.