Embossing Tip [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Embossing Tip

cardgirl
05-21-2009, 02:43 AM
I use a small wooden dollar store clipboard and cover it with aluminum foil to hold whatever I'm embossing. No more burnt fingers or flying paper and it doesn't use up much room in your craft tote.
I got this idea from someone at the show in W. Springfield several years ago. I wish I could give proper credit but I can't remember who.:eyeroll:

berrimasgarden
05-21-2009, 05:23 AM
That is a really great idea cardgirl. I was embossing today and yes my fingers were getting very hot:laugh: I have also ruined my good cutting mat by holding the heat gun too close to it and I have warped it!! I have tried glue, double sided tape even clamps to straighten it out but it has a mind of it's own and the bump just keeps coming up:laugh: I am not going to muck about with it anymore...it is time for a new one and I will be buying a clipboard at the same time. Thankyou! You have made MY life easier!!:applause:

cardgirl
05-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Glad you can use the idea. I can't live without mine. Another nice thing is the clip can hold several pcs at once if you're doing small items.

Spideycindy
05-21-2009, 06:43 AM
That is an Excellent idea and if errant bits of ep travel it would be easy enough to change out the foil! Very good idea! Thanks for sharing! I imagine the heated foil also evens out the heat flow too.
Spideycindy

j3annin3
05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
i use an old cookie sheet and some magnets, but now i'm thinking that if i line the pan with some foil maybe i wouldn't have to be after scrubbing at it so much. Thank you cardgirl, :)

stampin stacy
05-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I use one of those plastic trays you use for beads or glitter when doing small pieces. You know the one with the spout for pouring back into the tube or bottle. I use the tray to pour the EP on and to keep it from flying away while heating with a heat gun.

Inky Whiskers
05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I have a clip board w/foil too & use it for heating larger pieces. My cats kept sleeping on the clip board any time I had it out & wasn't actively using it and between cat hair getting stuck in the hot ep & holes getting torn in the foil from their claws, I gave up on it other than for big embossing jobs.

For everything else I have a glossy white 8" ceramic tile left over from our front hall floor. I hot glued felt to the bottom so it wouldn't scratch or burn the table. I hold the pieces to be heated with reverse grip tweezers. If you haven't seen these handy grippers, they look almost like regular tweezers except the 2 arms cross each other about half way down. So instead of squeezing them to hold them closed, I squeeze them to hold them open. They're long enough that the part I hold doesn't heat up.

I also use the tidy trays that Stacy described, but just for applying the powders not for heating. I also use them when applying mica powders, micro beads, flock or any powdery loose substance that requires containment & I want to be able to return the left overs to the jar. Oh! I pat down the tray with anti-static powder (Embossing Buddy from SU!) before using the powders so they don't stick to the tray as much & slide thru' the spout easily when returning the excess to the jar. :D

cardgirl
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
OOOH! Thanks for the embossing buddy idea! I have a tray that I never use because all the crap gets stuck to it!

StamPoor
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I didn't have a clip board handy, so I covered a piece of mat board with foil and used a binder clip or two to hold my piece to be embossed.

Inky Whiskers
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Good creative improv, Ingrid! :clap:

Embossing Buddy is my fav as it's easy to use, but any anti-static powder should work, including corn starch & used dryer sheets, for keeping the cling-ons at bay on both cardstock & plastic. I also lightly dust acetate prior to stamping &/or embossing 'cause stray bit cling EVERYWHERE if I don't.

I keep my ep buddy in a mini SU! stamp box (about 2.5"x 3.5" x 1") along with a tiny eyeshadow brush. If I do get a few stray speckles I use the brush to whisk them away & it doesn't get bits stick to the bristles since it basically lives in the anti-static powder. If I need to use a larger brush (like when using mica powders) I drag the bristles of the brush thru' the AS powder that collects in the bottom of the storage box. :D

cmcveigh
05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
I use a foil-covered piece of corrugated box and place that inside a shallow, empty legal-size paper box. The box is only about 3/4" tall. This box fits nicely right on top of an Iris Cart sitting under my desk. Then (talk about re-purposing), I use a wooden chop stick with a rounded tip to hold the card in place while embossing. The box serves to collect fly-away powder.

I tipped a waitress really well at Denny's in Corpus Christi once to bribe her for a handful of commercial size coffee filters. This is what I use to pour the EP onto my card. It's large enough to hold most card sizes and coffee filters don't have static, and have lots of wonderful creases which serve as a spout to pour back excess powder. You can use the same filter for all your different EP colors cuz nothing sticks, so I really didn't need a whole handful. They last forever.

For my clear EP, which I use most often, I have a 3-drawer acrylic box - it's probably 6" cubed - purchased from Home Depot (and of course, they don't sell them anymore). But anyway, it has a pull handle, and I just keep tons of clear in one of the drawers. At a gourmet kitchen store (La Mer???) I picked up a mini silver scoop and use that to pour the powder on the card, right over the drawer. No fuss about putting anything back in a tiny jar.:clap:

cardgirl
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
A special scoop sounds really nice. I use plastic spoons but now I'm thinking a nicer scooper might be in order..........

cmcveigh
05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
A special scoop sounds really nice. I use plastic spoons but now I'm thinking a nicer scooper might be in order..........

I used to use the little pink plastic spoons from Baskin Robbins, but found they had a lot of static in using them. These metal ones, whatever they are made from, don't have static.

In fact, I bought a 5-pack of measuring spoons from our local gourmet grocery store and they are labeled as "pinch", "dash", etc., and use these spoons to directly lay EP onto only the stamped area. This greatly reduces the amount of peripheral powder one gets if they just pour the EP onto the stamped area. If you can find them, I highly recommend 'em.

Inky Whiskers
05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I do what you do for my regular clear too, Cheryl! I use the lil trays for colored eps & other powders. Once upon a time I used sheets of copy paper with a fold down the middle & then moved on to coffee filters. (I got mine from a friend who used them, as we use a gold filter & DH would get mighty torked if I used it for crafting. :)) ) Alas, my cats discovered both made good napping spots if I wasn't actively using them & the filters don't work so well after cat hair gets woven into the fibers. :eyeroll:

I got my lil metal spoon when I bought this storage box thingie at Wal-Mart. (JoAnn's carries them too, but for more $) The box looks like a mini frosted plastic briefcase (about the size of a floss organizer) & inside are 2 sizes of small, clear plastic, lidded boxed & 2 larger boxes. Inside of one of the larger boxes are a pair of needle tip tweezers & a small spoon. The whole thing is intended for small bead storage, but I use them for my brads & eyelets. :D

cardgirl
05-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Great ideas! I'm going to try the kitchen store at the mall in a couple weeks when I go by. (VERY rural here!)

berrimasgarden
05-22-2009, 03:21 AM
I couldn't get a clip board today so I dug out a raw MDF placemat, covered it with foil and just clipped a medium sized bulldog clip onto it. It is perfect!! I do like all these ep ideas. I will definately be changing my ep habits now. The crease in the paper and the pouring back into little jars won't be happening anymore that's for sure. I used to get it everywhere :lol: I also have a little china spoon that came with a coffee mug that one of the drug reps at work gave me. I wasn't that fussed on the mug, bit to chunky for my liking, but I loved the little spoon. Now I can put it to good use as well.Thankyou possums for making my life easier yet again.

Audreyrose
05-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Instead of tweezers to hold the piece you are embossing I have also used a wooden paper clip. Works for me. I use dryer sheets as I don't have an Embossng Buddy. I make do with what I have.
Have agreat day!
Thanks for the great tip Cardgirl!!

Spideycindy
05-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I still use the bask and robbins sample spoon but you are correct is does hold alot of static electricity so I embossing buddy it everytime. I got the dash, pinch spoon set and never thought of it for crafting. It was a stocking stuffer from my dh. Oh excellent idea!:applause:
Spidey

MrsETaylor
05-27-2009, 07:30 AM
awesome idea.

Susanlhl
05-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm loving all these ideas! I have a wooden skewer in my pen holder and it goes everywhere with me when I go to crops. I use it to hold little things down while I use the heat gun on them and to prize up hot things. I'll be putting foil on my cookie sheet in future and digging out all my little spoons that I never use too :)

stmpstone
05-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I have an alligator clip on a base that expands so I can get as far away as I want.

I pulled it out the other night when my stamping friends were over and I call it my "roach clip". It amazes people that I even know what that is at my age. Ah ha ha ha ha.... I have some Tidy Trays designed for EP and glitter. When I need one I never can find them so I usually just fold a piece of paper and do it the old fashioned way.

The other day I pulled out my clear detail powder Tupper bowl and in that was a tablespoon I hadn't seen in a long time. It belonged to an old silverware set I used to have. I just left it there. It shows I haven't used it in years. lol I'm glad it doesn't seem to go bad.

It's interesting to hear how everybody does things a bit differently to accomplish the same results. Thanks everybody for sharing what you do.
hugs, Claudia

tami sanders
06-02-2009, 08:12 PM
that's definitely a "why didn't i think of that" technique! tfs!

KraftyDiva
07-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Great tips. Thanks for sharing.