Scenic Stamping Tips for the Newbie? [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Scenic Stamping Tips for the Newbie?

XrayAmy
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Kevin,
I think that there are a lot of people that are intimidated by scenic stamping. Staring at a white piece of paper and six or seven stamps can turn into a mental block. Do you have any tips for those just getting into scenes to make it a little easier for them to jump in?

k_nak
05-06-2009, 03:12 AM
That's a good question Amy, and one that I'm sure you could help me out with.

I think the biggest potential mental obstacle, when someone approaches the notion of scenic stamping, is getting beyond the barrier of a couple things that they've probably been practicing. There are some people that are introduced to the medium of rubber stamps through scenic stamping or get into rubber stamping because of scenic stamping. But, most people usually come into scenic stamping through other genres of rubber stamping. They learn careful placement of images, masking, coloring imagery and text. Sometimes stamp positioners are used. Color application is mostly in specific areas and a lot of times within outlined stamp imagery.

This is different from scenic stamping in many ways. In scenic component stamping, we want separate images to blend in with one another to give a seamless appearance to an overall. Overlapping and the blending of images, colors, etc. contribute to this idea and that's where someone might run into a mental roadblock or feel intimidated by the process --based on what they've learned as far as overlapping, careful positioning, etc. I feel, in reality, scenic stamping is easier in this respect. I think the overlapping of images blends the images together rather than seeing the process as somewhat of a jigsaw puzzle where items have to fit perfectly next to one another. It's much more free than that and there's a much greater tolerance of stamp placement than using outlined images.

The order of stamping can be a confusing notion as well. If someone were stamping out a birthday card that had a word stamp that said "Happy Birthday" and another stamp of confetti and yet another stamp of a birthday cake, in most cases, the order in which those images are stamped might not matter (unless they're overlapping each other). But in scenic stamping, if depth is involved with things such as background, mid ground, and foreground images, it can kind of boggle the mind as far as the order in which one has to stamp out the images. This is understandable. My simple solution is to generally stamp out the main object in a scene which is often the largest. There are many exceptions to this, of course, but this is where I start beginning students or people at a make-and-take. From there, you can address the space around that main image. For example, if I stamp a cabin and it's sitting in the middle of my card, I might want to fill in the space to the sides of it with trees. Then, I might apply some grass below it. From there, I might want to fill in the sky with a cloud. Bottom line is that I'm just taking the scene and breaking it up into a one-step-at-a-time process. And, it doesn't take long to get the hang/feel of composition building.

Finally, sometimes people can get intimidated by thinking of scenic stamping images as a technique. In reality they're just a medium that can be used with any media of your choice. People don't need to learn another media technique in order to stamp scenes. If someone enjoys working with colored pencils then they should use them to color their scenes. If they like Copic Markers, then they should try them in scenic stamping. If they like to emboss designs, then maybe they should try embossing images and maybe coloring them in with chalks or markers. Basically, first try scenic stamping with media that they already love to use. My personal favorite is dye based inks but I don't think of them as "the best" media for the stamps. I just happen to like achieving a lot of contrast in my scenes but I also love all of the different ways people use the stamps that go beyond my usage.

~K

k_nak
05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Kevin,
I think that there are a lot of people that are intimidated by scenic stamping. Staring at a white piece of paper and six or seven stamps can turn into a mental block. Do you have any tips for those just getting into scenes to make it a little easier for them to jump in?

I'd like to read your take on the question as well Amy. I've always admired your line and love everyones scenes created by them.

XrayAmy
05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
That's so nice of you to say Kevin! I think a lot of it has to do with the way people think. For me, scenes come easily but sitting down and trying to make a collage....forget it. I have to have everything neat and in it's place.

I have a few tricks I use to make it easier to create a scene. One is not to start out with just one piece of paper. I usually start out with 5 or 6 so I feel more secure that I can play and not "screw up" that one sheet of paper. I start with a scene in my mind and try and stamp any foreground stamps first, mask those and then stamp next "layer". If I mess up and smear one of the images, I still have those other 4 or 5 to work off of.

For those that have never done any scenic stamping, I recommend stamping all the images on a scrap piece of paper, cutting them out and then moving them around to get a feel of what you want your finished product to look like. When I do this I often end up changing my mind about a particular image and substituting it for something else so it really is helpful. Scenic stamping really isn't as hard as it may seem to those that haven't done it before. I find it very relaxing and often picture myself in that scene while I'm creating it.

I still remember one of my very first scenes. It was using the waterfall stamp that your drew for ASITH. I saved that scene and it's somewhere in our moving boxes. I think you were a great influence on me Kevin. Thanks for that.

piecesandpom
05-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Interesting thoughts, here! I'm realizing I usually start with what I want as the focal point and build out from there.

Spideycindy
05-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks so much for all the wonderful information everyone is putting out here. I am in awe. I am not a scenic stamper but have a component here and there. I am soaking in all that you are offering like a sponge. I do not know what to ask but have been greatly helped with all the information and advise you have put out for us.
Humble thanks<3
Spideycindy

k_nak
05-10-2009, 01:41 AM
I still remember one of my very first scenes. It was using the waterfall stamp that your drew for ASITH. I saved that scene and it's somewhere in our moving boxes. I think you were a great influence on me Kevin. Thanks for that.

Wow, had no idea Amy. That's so cool!

Excellent tips and points for the Newbies too Amy. ~K