Two Questions [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Two Questions

piecesandpom
05-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Okay, I've got two questions.

What is your favorite matte paper and ink combination? I sometimes don't get a good image when I want to so I'd like to know how to improve the image. (I'm not into glossy probably 'cause my glossy card stash is the cheaper stuff!)

Also, will anyone be bringing Stampscapes stamps to the W. Springfield MA show in June?

k_nak
05-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Hello Karen. For matte paper, a smooth surface is always the best for high density stippled imagery. The reason being is that stippled images are comprised of dots and any paper with "tooth" to it will remove a high percentage of these defining dots leaving one with a partial image. Linear images are fine on papers with tooth to them because if there are any gaps in the lines, our minds fill in the missing information but tonal images missing a lot of information can look fragmented. There are hot press papers of all kinds which work well as well as coated non-glossy papers that do very well with highly detailed imagery.

As far as inks go, dye based inks work well but unlike glossy paper I wouldn't layer as many colors on top of one another like one can on glossy. Glossy coating binds the surface of paper and keeps the surface integrity intact with as many layers of ink that you might want to use on it but matte paper can potentially buckle. You have to experiment with any combination of media but a good bet on matte paper are stipple brushes in combination with dye based inks. The saturation doesn't become as thick as methods like sponging methods but the results are beautiful in their own right. Other inks that can be used are dye based inks straight out of ink pens such as Tombow, LePlume, etc. Copic markers are the new rage out there and their alcohol based inks look great in scenic stamping with either a straight-from-pen application or the airbrushing method.

W. Springfield --Yes, our long time retailer in Maine (Pen Ventures) will have a booth featuring the Stampscapes line.

~KN

wallace61074
05-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi Karen
I love the cryogen white paper and copic markers for Stampscapes and all of my stamping as well. It's a totally different look than the glossy but I love it. I also use the airbrush system with this and I use memento black ink to stamp in, it doesn't fade over time either. You can also use their inks with the stipple brushes and it stays true as well.

stampin stacy
05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
What inks should one not use on glossy cardstock or are there certain types of glossy that don't work as well, another words issues with them not absorbing and drying properly.

k_nak
05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
What inks should one not use on glossy cardstock or are there certain types of glossy that don't work as well, another words issues with them not absorbing and drying properly.

If you're going for a transparent layered look, you would avoid pigment inks on glossy paper.

I'm not an authority on paper and ink combinations because there are so many different brands of inks out there these days so if anyone else can add their thoughts, that would be great.

What I've found, on occasion with certain brands of inks with certain papers, was that if I layered multiple inks down for my background colors and stamped my images on top of those colors the impressions would "run" (blur) upon drying. There's an easy remedy to this, however, in that one could simply apply a sealant to the inks before they dried. I like using something like an art spray fixative or an acrylic type of spray on the top of my scenes anyway as I like the saturated appearance they give to the inks so spraying inks before they dry isn't a big deal. I have a little paragraph devoted to these sprays here:

http://stampscapes.com/info_techniques.html#fadinglight

Oh, Judikins has that rub on sealant (I forgot the name) that also works well.

Other types of inks --if you're doing a multiple thick ink layering technique-- might be too thick to apply upon one of the consecutive layers. For example, I love using thicker brands of inks such as Ranger or the Mementos for my first couple layers of colors because they provide a nice foundation for any other brands of inks. They almost provide a "lubricated" semi-sealed surface to the paper which makes the inks easy to apply as far as blending goes. The one problem with multiple layers of these thicker inks is that the paper can reach a super saturation and, as you're trying to apply a given color, you'll find that it's not only not adhering to the paper but it might be pulling *off* ink that you've already applied. There's a simple remedy to this in that you can semi-heat set the card which will evaporate some of the moisture content and will allow for additional tones of ink. What I usually do is to use the thicker layers of ink on the bottom 2 or 3 layers of colors and then I'll use my thinner layers of ink over the top of them. In my case, the thicker layers would be something like Ranger or those Memento inks and then I'll use something like Marvy or Vivid brand colors over the top of them. I don't always adhere to this as I'll often use additional thicker colors on the top layers of inks but I just have to wait a little in between coats to allow for a little drying time.

That's my take on ink/paper combinations. Now there's this other glossy paper that I've tried that's available in Australia. I think it's Indonesian. It's super thick and very very coated. Beautiful to work on but after a couple layers of ink it doesn't allow for much ink transference so you really have to allow inks to set up longer before applying additional coats or you'll have to heat set.

Bottom line is to experiment. Experiment and spray. ~K

piecesandpom
05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Lovely ideas here!

I do love the c. white with the black ink - every card I've made for the holiday fair with Stampscapes has sold when I add just a little twinkle of white highlights and glitter/glitter pen darks.

This reminded me that I haven't yet tried Momento or Versafine Onyx with Stampscapes on mulberry paper. . .got to experiment with that combination. I love this combo because you get even more colors if you back the mulberry paper to a background layer, similar to layering a vellum to a background layer.

k_nak
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Lovely ideas here!

I do love the c. white with the black ink - every card I've made for the holiday fair with Stampscapes has sold when I add just a little twinkle of white highlights and glitter/glitter pen darks.

This reminded me that I haven't yet tried Momento or Versafine Onyx with Stampscapes on mulberry paper. . .got to experiment with that combination. I love this combo because you get even more colors if you back the mulberry paper to a background layer, similar to layering a vellum to a background layer.

Sounds interesting. You'll have to let me know how that works out if you try it. ~K

piecesandpom
05-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I experimented last night with Momento Black/Cocoa and Versafine Black on Mulberry last night. I've attached them to this thread. The top row is the Momento. . .the black I would turn into a wintery scene I think. I do like the Cocoa on the orangey mulberry but the images aren't as clear.
I know it's not the mulberry 'cause the Versafine Black on the white mulberry shows up much cleaner. I haven't yet frayed the edges on this one so it's not showing up as mulberry in the scan. . .

So, I think as in all things it's what you like. The cocoa speaks to my Impressionist leanings and the Versafine Black speaks to the more precise but elegant side.

I'll try to see if I can get the scenes more complete, colored and onto cards if folks would like. . .

stampin stacy
05-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I'll try to see if I can get the scenes more complete, colored and onto cards if folks would like. . .

who me?? forced to look at scenic stamp work, oh no........

YES PLEASE!

k_nak
05-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Love the look of that Mulberry paper!

piecesandpom
05-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Okay, twist my arm, Stacy! They are out on the table and staring at me, so I'll see what I can do with them.

This is a stash of SUp retired mulberry paper. . .Inky Whiskers might know who/where to get a good source online. I use it sparingly 'cause I consider it my good stuff, for special folks only!

cmcveigh
05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
mulberry paper. . . where to get a good source online.

Marco's carries mulberry paper, and I purchased a stack of it at A.C. Moore. I don't know how it compares to SU mulberry since I don't have any.

piecesandpom
05-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Here it is, Stacy!

I used chalks, versacolor inks and glitter/stardust pens. RST's peg stamps added flowers, shrubbies. The actual meadow is a very light green chalk that doesn't show up well in the scan. It's subtly glittery in real life.

I included my other options for backing cardstock. The green was my second choice and very calming, brought more depth to the chalks in the sky and the meadow. The blue is actually what I had behind the mulberry as I was chalking, adding the versacolors, etc. It didn't have the punch of the dark gold or green once I was finished. The red brought out the red in the sky and some of the bushes but muted the cocoa too much. I tried quite a few other colors to back the dark gold but opted to the KISS principle since they started to detract from boldness of the gold.

I was a little heavier on the highlights on the doe than I wanted, but it still works.

Cardstock is from Just Imagine Crafts - subtly glittery itself and just yummy, yummy paper.

I'm still waiting for the brown glitter pen which supposedly exists but I haven't found it online or at the LSS yet. . .would have helped with under the rocks and some of the tree trunks. I tend to use short strokes or dots to create sparkle and to enhance the chalk or ink colors.

What could I have done to make this even better Kevin?

k_nak
05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
What could I have done to make this even better Kevin?

This is such a charming piece. Love the look of it.

By doing this piece, you have 100% more experience with the medium than I do so I don't have any advice. But, it certainly doesn't appear to need anything to me. I like it as is.

piecesandpom
05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the compliment; I'm :blush:! And I had to go get my second cup of coffee and re-read the post to be sure I read it correctly the first time.

Darci Simmons
05-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Such a LOVELY piece, Karen!!! :D

First, Kevin, have you ever used coated paper - not matte and not glossy? I acquired some from a printing shop, and I haven't found that dye ink or pastels or even markers work very well on it. It just doesn't show up much color at all. Do you know anything about it? Or what kind of medium would work on it? :confusion:

Second, you blend all your stamps seamlessly with each other, and sometimes I struggle to do that. Do you have any tips for helping put all the stamps together?

Also, how do stamp artists get such soft, almost ethereal images and colors? Stamped images seem to have such SHARP lines for me, but some artists can achieve a soft edge to them, especially solid images. I've tried stamping them before I stamp them on scratch paper before I stamp on the card, but I can't seem to get that effect. I'm sure it takes practice. Any suggestions?

Where can I find good highlight pens like what you use? The ones I've tried, don't show up, or the paint markers have too large of tips. Don't have a stamping or craft store here to buy gel or highlight pens. I should probably try Staples.

Sorry to bombard you, Kevin. Thanks for your consideration!

k_nak
05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
First, Kevin, have you ever used coated paper - not matte and not glossy? I acquired some from a printing shop, and I haven't found that dye ink or pastels or even markers work very well on it. It just doesn't show up much color at all. Do you know anything about it? Or what kind of medium would work on it? :confusion:

I've used coated glossy and coated smooth matte (non glossy) but I haven't used a coated paper that was neither. My guess is that it's a smooth hot press paper that would be slightly more absorbent than glossy. Pastels would require more of a "tooth" to the paper and the fact that it's coated might be resisting the markers or something. Maybe dye based inks applied with stipple brushes might work for a soft look.

Second, you blend all your stamps seamlessly with each other, and sometimes I struggle to do that. Do you have any tips for helping put all the stamps together?

Center pressuring with the imagery and more overlapping of the images with one another is the most fundamental of the blending techniques. You could also dab off, with a paper towel, about a 1/4"-1/2" the perimeter of the stamps so they the edges would potentially blend in with one another more gracefully. I hardly do this but will do it in my sky imagery from time to time if I'm doing a very dark sky. After that, I blend with common colors running through the different images. From there, I'll blend the imagery with common texture such as gel pen dots.

Also, how do stamp artists get such soft, almost ethereal images and colors? Stamped images seem to have such SHARP lines for me, but some artists can achieve a soft edge to them, especially solid images. I've tried stamping them before I stamp them on scratch paper before I stamp on the card, but I can't seem to get that effect. I'm sure it takes practice. Any suggestions?

Probably multiple colors when coloring the imagery. I use lighter tones on the edges of my impressions. For example, if I have top lit trees, I'll color my trees with something like a dark green and then I'll use a light green pen to apply some of that color on the top edge of the tree. This will give it a lighter edge that will, thus, appear softer. From there I might apply some Colorbox white pigment ink after a coloring process. Another thing you can do is to simply dab off some ink before making your impression. This will give that soft look in those areas.

Where can I find good highlight pens like what you use? The ones I've tried, don't show up, or the paint markers have too large of tips. Don't have a stamping or craft store here to buy gel or highlight pens. I should probably try Staples.

I ordered mine from jetpens.com . I don't know them but just put "white gel pen" into google one day and that sight came up. I get the Uniball Signo version that's an import from Japan. I don't have problems with this version at all. ~K

Audreyrose
05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Beautiful!!!

piecesandpom
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Darci, the white pen Kevin mentioned below does get sort of cloggy on chalks but I haven't had a problem on any other surface. The mulberry was probably soaking up some of the ink as well. I had to scribble on some scrap paper and then daub or stroke twice in a few instances on the card below.

Darci Simmons
05-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Kevin, that was VERY informative. Appreciate it!!! :D

Thanks, Karen for the tip.

Puggle Berry
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
WOW! Karen I just love what you have created with your woodland doe pic. It is so soft and has great eye apeal!

Spideycindy
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Love the piece Karen! The gold works for me...brings out the warmth of the brown ink and subtle yellows you added.:clap:
Spidey